suit sizing help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by trevorjohn, May 2, 2011.

1. trevorjohn

trevorjohn Well-Known Member

Looking to pick up a one peice suit for racing. Not to sure on what size or how to size one out for my needs. Im 6'2" 180lbs 32-30 waist 32 inseam. Now I know im not the typical build for a racer but I need a correct fittng suit. I don't have a whole lot to spend but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Tough call because of your height.

A 44 would be my best guess. It may be a little short in the torso and legs though.
    A 46 would probably be too big/loose in the chest and torso, but the length would be good.

I'm 6'1", 200lbs and a 46 is perfect for me.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend buying any suit without trying it on first. Best to get a snug fit but still gives you freedom of movement. Too baggy and it can cause you to tumble rather than slide in a crash which makes it more likely to break bones and cause other injuries. Sleeves that are too short can leave a gap in protection, too long and wrist movement can be affected. All mfrs use slightly different sizing and whatever body armour you will be using has to taken into consideration as well. When trying on a suit, sit on your bike and move around using all the positions you would use while on a racetrack. You want to make sure you can lay flat over the tank, turn your head, twist your torso and splay your knees out without it being too tight.

4. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I had a similar issue due to my build so I got a custom suit made. They are in line with off the rack pricing and they will fit much better.

Dave does great work, I have a few of his suits. Great service.

http://www.spartanleathers.com/

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

^ this.

i'm 6' and closer to 170, and a 44 is good for me with a thick chest & back protector.

a LITTLE tight in the crotch when standing, but comfy on the bike.

The OP is not an "off-the-rack" build, so it's going to be pretty hard to find an off-the-rack suit.

Spartan makes a custom suit for $700... That's the most affordable custom suit I've seen advertised (aside from the eBay jokes...)

6. trevorjohn

trevorjohn Well-Known Member

Well im not quite ready to drop a large chunk of change on a nice suit just yet. I will be doing some drag racing too so it'll be dual purpose in my case. But I guess I get what I pay for.