1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rotor hone?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Anyone use one of these to clean up their oem rotors? If so what grit?

Attached Files:

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yes we use one. Whatever grit it came with. :)

3. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I've never used anything but a green scotch brite.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

they sell them in 240 and 120 grit. I'll probably go for the 240.

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

best damn tool ever made for keeping the rotors clean. :up:

6. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

What do you guys use for honing oil with the Brush Research Flex-Hone rotor hone?

7. Arctic Donkey

Arctic Donkey Well-Known Member

I used a 240 and was very happy with the results.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

thanks. BTW, I've been drooling over the pics of that rear link. It sounds like it's working really well.

9. Arctic Donkey

All the fast kids are getting them :cool: There might be better way than the rotor hone, but I had some Brembos that were black with material from some carbon pads and they turned out great. I did all these and a couple more and the hone is still good to go. On some of the balls you can start to see the plastic center starting to show through but I don't see that as a problem. Perhaps I just pushed the drill a little too hard or maybe it is just normal wear.

Attached Files:

10. Arctic Donkey

RC, I did use honing oil when I did my cylinders with a ball hone but I think I did my rotors dry. Hmmmm, might explain the wear I got on the hone??? I just left the rotors on a wheel, put it on my balancing stand and while spinning the wheel with one hand I used the hone in a drill with the other hand. I tried to use very light pressure on the drill and let the hone do the work. Did it one way then reversed the drill (or was it the direction I spun the wheel) to get a nice cross hatch. Then flipped the rotors around and got the other side.

11. ToddClark

which, if you read the directions that come with the hone, is how they recommend to do it. :up:

12. jhanshaw1

jhanshaw1 Active Member

13. PantyBuncher

PantyBuncher Well-Known Member

14. 418

418 Expert #59

So do you guys use any oil or not?

I got the exact one that is in the vid and it's fried after maybe three full jobs?

15. ToddClark

no oil. and if youre worn it out that fast, youre putting too much pressure on it.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Shit. Thx.

Can I borrow yours? :D

17. ToddClark

LOL, actually, ive been able to do about 4 complete jobs (4 sets of rotors) before the plastic tips start showing thru, so youre not far off.

Unless youre changing pad compounds, its not something you should be doing that often tho. I only do mine about twice a season, and i honestly think thats one more time than i need to. Only reason i do mine twice/season is because i use the dual carbon pads.