1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little help from any and all IT guys?

Discussion in 'General' started by sowega, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sowega

sowega #710

I put together my barebones system, installed Windows 7, and everything was great.

Then I installed Sony Vegas 10. The next time I tried to boot up, I got several BSODs and couldn't boot in any mode. Everything was not so great.

After trying a few things, I formatted the HD in the hopes of starting fresh.

Upon first bootup, I got a message saying that "NTLDR is missing."

I've tried using the boot CD & USB method described at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...st__p__2198509 , but it hangs up in a DOS-looking screen on a line that says "[0.762735] [] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10"

Trying to boot from the Windows DVD gets me an IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message.

So that's where I am right now . . . about to go Office Space on this ho.

Any ideas?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That's pretty fucked.

I've got a friend @ MS who's a Windows Developer and he says that it sounds like a) you either aren't supplying the mobo with enough voltage (ie, your power supply is inadequate) or b) you need to RMA your mobo.

3. sowega

sowega #710

Haha, I agree. I'm going to try a few suggestions, then I'm taking it somewhere.

Soooooo. . .anybody work on shitheap computers in Atlanta?

4. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Sounds like bad hardware.

5. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

do a memory test

if you have more than one ram chip try just one..

also make sure you delete all partitions and format the drive before reinstall

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The IRQ error is almost always a hardware problem... take out everything except the absolute minimum. ie - 1 stick of ram, 1 hdd, 1 cd drive, go into the bios and reset to defaults, unplug all external hardware except they keyboard and screen.

Try it then and see what happens...

7. mizter1

mizter1 Mizter1

Do u have any external equipment Plugged in like a external hard drive. If so unplug and try to run again. Usually it is that

8. sowega

sowega #710

I removed one of the RAM sticks, and it booted and ran fine. Is the memory bad, or does the power supply just not give the mobo enough juice?

9. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Swap the "bad" stick with the one in the system that is currently working and see if it will boot. If it boots with just the "bad" stick in then it is probably a bad main board. How many memory slots are in the board? Have you tried putting the memory in different slots? (some boards dont care which slots you put the memory in)

10. Prof._HH

Prof._HH Well-Known Member

I'd check your mounting points between the mobo and the case too. Sometimes, screwing those things down too tight will flex the board enough to short a path.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

All good advice and yes, Ram can go bad over time (especially if it's been overclocked) or it can even be faulty out of the package. Ram will also cause faults if the voltage is insufficient. If you know your way around the bios you should be able to see what voltages your components are at in real time.

This free program will read all your motherboard's Bios reporting in real-time (in Windows). I've used it for many years to stabilize my overclocked systems.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html