1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which race class?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by stlcbr, Apr 26, 2011.

1. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

I'm going to be doing the MCRA racer clinic, and hopefully start doing some races. Curious what class I should be running in. I'm riding a 2005 Honda cbr600rr with the following parts:

Formula 1 Composites Fiberglass bodywork
    Boz Bros Gild Slip-on Exhaust
    Dynojet Power Commander III
    Aftermarket Adjustable Rearsets
    Stompgrip
    Woodcraft Frame sliders
    Woodcraft Clip-ons
    Motion Pro VR Throttle
    Motion Pro Race grips

Stock dogbones put back in to bring back to factory ride height

thinking middleweight supersport?

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Looks like MW Solo, CSS, CSB would fit best but you can always jump up to BSS, BSB, ASS, ASB, F1...many people do.

Welcome to WERA. I did the MCRA race weekend earlier this month at Putnam. Lots of guys got their L's that weekend, I hope they can come race.

3. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

alright thanks, I was at putnam as well. april 9th-10th

4. kanatuna

Yep, that weekend. I finished third on sat and sun in the lwt races. I race an EX500/green with red wheels.

5. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

yea don't remember seeing the bike, but remember seeing your trailer at the hotel. That was my first track day. Did two sessions in TTT class on saturday, and bumped to novice before the first session on sunday and did all 7 sessions and loved it. I really got comforable and progressed as the day went on.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  6. kanatuna

Hell yea man. Welcome to the addiction.

7. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

anyone else?

8. ton

ton Arf!

what else ya wanna know?

9. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

just curious if anyone else had any opinions on what class i should be running being new to racing with my current bike set up.

10. ton

ton Arf!

your bike is essentially stock and is therefore eligible for both superstock and superbike. there are very few true superbikes in the novice classes, so the bike doesn't really determine competitiveness... it's the rider. so either (or both) are good choices.

as a 600, it's eligible for 'C' classes and up. the 'B' classes are mostly 600's as well, so those are also a good fit.

at the beginning level, the first race weekend is going to be more about figuring out how it all works than about being competitive. and it's also going to be an eye opener how physically and mentally demanding a "short" sprint race is going to be.

so... for the first race weekend, i'd do the MW solo on saturday. then two races of your choosing between CSS, CSB, BSS, BSB. i often make those choices based on the actual timing/schedule so as to avoid having back to back races.

11. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

Do you have R1 exhaust can or something like that on the bike?

12. kanatuna

hahaha yea. Its a stock can off of an 06" R6. Its light and it was free. :)

13. raven21

I saw that it was a cool bike, i was out there on a SV for those races myself

14. kanatuna

Yea? Which bike? I never saw the two guys ahead of me...lol

And thanks.

15. dv8Ryan

dv8Ryan Retired Stunter

What tracks are WERA this year? I noticed Mid Ohio doesn't have WERA on the schedule this year.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mid-Ohio never really did. We ran the RRGC for the AMA there as well as the Vintage Days the last couple of years. We're doing the Vintage Days again which includes a couple of the twins modern classes but not RRGC.

Nearest to Cincy are Nelson, Grattan, Gingerman, BeaveRun. Nashville, Summit and Talladega aren't all that far either.

17. ton

ton Arf!

18. raven21

I got second on saturday and first on sunday blue SV650 number 14 i was pitted across from you

19. kanatuna

OOOOOO....that bike... The bad ass SV with the gsxr front end, raised tank, relocated battery and custom subframe.....that one.... lol

20. raven21

something like that, its the stock subframe though i am still making the new one for a new tail.