1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh built 09 ZX6, wont start, timing problem?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by QMXcycle, Apr 7, 2011.

1. QMXcycle

QMXcycle Well-Known Member

Anyone care to enlighten me on the whereabouts of this cam position sensor we speak of. I've looked in the manual and everywhere else I can think of and can find no mention of such a thing. Crank position sensor yes, Cam no, is it called something else maybe or am I just blind?

Many thanks for all the help so far

2. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Front of cylinder head just above the exhaust. angles down.

Is the fuel pump priming? Can you hear it when you turn the key/switch on?

3. QMXcycle

yes, fuel pump is definately priming, confirmed that. I've taken the engine apart again, gonne re-time the cams just to make sure they are right, put everything back togethor and cross my fingers.... I didnt do a diagnostic on it before I took the engine out so once its all assembled again I'll do that and see what pops up also

4. munroe

munroe Active Member

If I remember correctly the 09 doesnt have a cam sensor just crank.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's correct. Boss is still on the head, just not machined for sensor.

6. QMXcycle

Yup, that is most definately the case, I figured as much when I could find no mention of one in the manual or anywhere else

7. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

I just searched the service manual, I didn't see a cam sensor anywhere.

I hope it's not that he has the Immobilizer System and it tripped? That'd suck. :rolleyes:

8. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Probably at around 130 lc IN/ 85 lc EX.
    Won't run.

9. QMXcycle

This model didnt have the imobilizer, and even if it did, I doubt then engine would turn over, send fuel through the injectors and spark if the immobilizer was tripped.

I have found that my valves are very tight, likely from the head having been shaved and the intake seats having been set back, gonna swap out the shims before I put it all back togethor

10. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

sorry i once again jumped in without actually fucking readin it all..yeah yeah thinking 07-08 models..slap me i know.

why are your valves tight? Did you not reset the valve clearences after having the head done?? as for cam timing, it'd have to be off enough to have PTV issues before having starting issues (i mean you'd have ot have the cams so far timed off they'd have ptv issues instantly..sorry long day at the track, that engine doesnt give you a lot of room to play with like say a GSXR600)

i still am thinking the key bypass is your issue perhaps. without seeing it obviously we cant say.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  11. QMXcycle

Definately didnt have any PTV contact issues, engine turned free and clear with no issues, thats one thing i checked, re-checked and then checked agian before putting the engine back in.

I'm waiting right now on the new shims to set valve clearances properly, that was one thing I made a mistake on with the original assembly so I'm happy I took it apart again anyway.

I was thinking the ignition bypass may be the culprit also, however the method I used is supposed to tried and true. I think once I get it all re-assembled I'm gonna take the key ignition off my streetbike and plug it in just to see what'll happen. Though I'm wondering if the engine will turn over, send fuel and spark if there is an ignition issue? I guess with the home modified version anything is possible.

Thanks for all your usefull input, hopefully the shims are here tomorow so I can get this project back on track!!

12. QMXcycle

Ok, finally found time today to get to re-assembly on this thing. Re-shimmed the valves to the correct tolerances, re-degreed that cams, buttoned the engine all up and in the frame it went. When I was bolting in the engine something came to mind. I dunno why I never thought of this before, and it quite possibly could be the issue. When I bypassed the ignition, I was thinking "why do I need this thing there if its bypassed" and cut the 3 remaining wires on it and took it off. I have 0 experience with ignitions, but I suppose those 3 wires connecting the ignition to the plug may still serve a purpose even if the ignition is bypassed, I really dont know. So, when I was getting it all back togethor I re-attached the ignition to see what would happen. Unfortunately my kid woke up and I didnt get a chance to get the airbox and tank on there and try firing it up but I did to the diagnostic mode on it and all I got were exhuast butterfly error and air switching valve error, both of which have been removed from the bike. I'll post back again tomorow with how the re-fire went this time around.

13. QMXcycle

airbox on, tank on, cranked for 3 seconds, presto, its ALIVE!! I dont know 100% what the issue was, but here are the changes I made. I changed the cams to where they originally were, so when I stopped the engine at TDC the lobs were pointed in on #4, I turned them so they were pointing out. Not sure if that makes a difference, some people told me it did some more said it didnt matter. Also set valve slag properly. Re-degreed the cams though they turned out the exact same way as the first time. I re-attached the 3 wires I cut off the ignition. It started up just fine.

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should disconnect the 3-wires again, and see what happens?
    That would eliminate that scenario.

Glad you got it going.

15. QMXcycle

I considered that, and still might, the wires are all tucked away so who knows, maybe if I have a spare minute