1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Leather 1 pc suit for $199?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by dianhsuhe, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

That's a good point, but consider this... I'm the cheapest person alive and have tried all the inexpensive leather options. Here's what happens:

You save 100 on the initial cost of the suit and after 1 season you either go down and the suit is no longer usable, or the seams start to let go and you sit around stitching them up with the heavy thread that should have been used in the first place, or the zippers start breaking and you find out it's 50 bucks to get one replaced.

After I did that a couple of times I spent 300.00 for a cheap AGV and still have it after three years and one real hairy crash. I'd still be wearing it were it not for my love of donuts.

I think that a cheesy suit with armored joints is adequate protection as long as you have a good back protector. It just won't last.

2. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I have seen jackets from some of thense cheap no named sites and I MIGHT wear a jacket as protection from road rash at 50mph, there is no way I am putting one of those suits on to hit the race track. I went down in my teknic suit and while the leather and stiching held up, the stretchy fabric in the armpit tore.... next suit will be 100% leather, no fabric stretch panels.

3. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Bought a suit with budget in mind. Exploded at the seams when I went down.
    Bought a custom high end suit. Fits like a glove and crashes a heck of a lot better.

4. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

Point taken:up:

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Sure I can come over and chain you to the Vibe by your feet. Promise to keep it below 50MPH :beer:

J/K I have not seen the suit but that price seems to low to cover the leather alone. But it is hard to tell without seeing the suit. Some things to examine/think about.
    1) More seams is more failure points, cheaper leathers will use lots of smaller panels as the leather is less that way. The diamond in the front
    2) Rolled seams are the only way, in case you are unaware of what a rolled seam is: imagine sewing two pieces of leather together, then flip one over the other and sew the seam again. This means the real seam is under leather and cannot be abraded until the leather has been.
    3) Comfort and fit. I am sure you got this one.

And yes you can use one on a track day. I have crashed twice at trackdays and never racing (probably due to be slow as @#$$) Good luck and I hope this was of some help

6. Quik10R

Quik10R Ride it like u stole it

Way Way Too Much Information..:wow:

7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I would rather buy a good suit that will save my ass and skin and skimp on something else bike related....my safety is worth more than performance.

8. motox

motox 164

save $100 and buy this suit http://dbscyclegear.com/1pc-11-mm-Leathers-1pcgray.htm

just bought one and its VERY nice for the price. double stitched and seems tough. The guy said its a gimoto suit but theres no branding anywhere. The owner of the site is a startup gear dealer. Member of wera forums too. excellent customer service and i havent found a better deal on a brand-new suit anywhere.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

love my vanson.....actually....

10. Daeldren

Daeldren Member

What about Trackskinz suits? That's what I picked up, decent from the reviews Ive read for a cheap suit (plus they have a size 36 off the rack which is way difficult to find.)

Of course the higher end custom suits fit better and fit like a glove.

11. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

I've raced in A*, RS Taichi, Teknic, and AGV. I've crash-tested the Teknic Violator and AGV SP-something or other. The Violator held up BEAUTIFULLY after a 90 MPH lowside where I couldn't get onto my back and ended up tumbling. I broke the radius and ulna in my right arm, but the suit only had some scuffing. If the doctors hadn't taken scissors to my suit, I could have worn the suit again. The AGV was worn during a relatively low speed lowside (40ish MPH) and had nothing but scuffs and a zipper that needed to beeplaced. I bought the Teknic for a whopping $400 as a closeout before the new designs came out. I picked up my AGV suit for about $219.

The moral of the story is you can find much better suits, suits that are known to perform well during a get-off and have been crash-tested by hundreds of riders, for not much more $$$.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

You can't afford to buy cheap protective gear. Read that again.

13. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

:stupid:

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I found a close-out AGV suit that almost fit me. Since nothing off the rack fits me anyway, I wore it as it was for a few race weekends until I figured out all the things that were wrong with it. Then I sent it to Alexa at Spyder Leatherworks and had her adjust it for me. Now it is perfect, custom and way cool. Barnacle Bill can do the same thing for you. Those leather people can work miracles.

Ken

15. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Seriously..Or a Joe Rocket if ya cheap,But being cheap in this sport doesnt go far,Penny wise dollar foolish!..Like anything else
    I spend my $ 1 time. Good luck

16. stlcbr

stlcbr Member

+1,000 BOught a used Dainese suit for $100, was a little beat up, but no tears. It was FUGLY though...silver, yellow and white. I bought some $10 leather dye and dyed everything silver and yellow BLACK :) and left the white. I absolutely love that suit and it fits me like a glove...or like 1 piece leather :clap:

17. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I can tell you exactly what you're going to get from one of those suits:

1. Cheap milled leather. It will (probably) be thin, and will be the cheapest stuff they could find. Even if it claims 1.2 -1.3mm, it may not be in reality.
    2. Cheap thread. Cotton, or maybe nylon, although defintely not bonded nylon. It'll pop easily in an impact
    3. Double (surface) stitched seams, and will inevitably have seams in the butt and thigh that will open in a slide.
    4. Most likely it will be single layer leather throughout, so hope there is armor when it wears a hole during a slide, which will happen quickly .
    5. Road rash.

18. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

Money spent on good leathers (Vanson,Syed,Barnacle Bill etc.), will pay for themselves over time with savings in pain and medical bills. I've been racing for 25 odd years and still have my Perron leathers from '85. Went down on them at least once a year 'til I got my Syed's in 2000. Total spent on both pairs, $1600. Cheap leathers will fall apart and you'll end up spending more in the long run. My next set will be from BB, probably in the next couple of years.

Gordon