1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive Helmet for my cheap father

Discussion in 'General' started by Skits, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

My dad recently dusted off his 20 year old Gold Wing and met me for a ride. I discovered that he's wearing an old Shoei with a 1990 date code in it, and basically gave him hell over it. He promised me he'd look for a new helmet, and called me today about the great $25 DOT helmets on ebay. Sigh...

Can someone recommend a ~$125 helmet that would at least be reasonably safe? He wears an open face, but I'm working on getting him into a full face (or at least a spare for the passenger).

Thanks...

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You might try the WERA classified section.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We sell alot of Z1R's, a Parts Unlimited brand. The Phantom model full face w/ graphics retails for 99.95, solid colors are 10 bucks less.

4. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

Gmax. Some of them also come with a tinted face shield included at around $130.

If you can get him to fork out a little more cash, the new exo500 is actually pretty nice. tried one on the other day.

5. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

Sport Bike Track gear has some nice helmets on closeout

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I have Kali full face helmets that retail for $150 that I can do $100 to your door. Not a bad lid...

7. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Kali in composite?

8. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

9. murray696

murray696 Active Member

closeout HJC

10. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Scorpion. may possibly never own a different brand helmet. at least not in the near future

12. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

We have Scorpion EXO-700's from $99.95, EXO-400's from $59.95 and the Bell Vortex Helmets from $99.95. Odds are the graphic on the Bell would work pretty well, little more dialed down.

$99.95 Helmet Sale from SportbikeTrackGear.com

13. Mugen

Mugen Well-Known Member

Can't you buy your dad a helmet?

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Helmets are gay. Ask any real harley poser guy. He can just buy a doo-rag for five bucks and save his cash for some leather chaps.

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

:stupid:

Spend the coing on a good helmet for your father.

16. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

The guy has probably $150K/year more disposable income than I do, he's just a tightwad. I'd buy him one if he couldn't afford it, but that isn't the case. He doesn't flinch at buying a new Corvette, new Silverado, stainless Colt pistols, DLSR cameras, etc...but he'd never spend $500 on a decent helmet.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I've checked out the Scorpions and they seem to be the best value. Now if I can get him to quit riding in moccasins and shorts...

17. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

whats wrong with that?

18. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Are they race-mossasins?

19. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Maybe you should buy it for him just because he wont :)

20. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Can i jump in on this thread...
    Any of those places sell visors for the Aria RX7?

I might hit up Riders dicount.