1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earplugs

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Anyone have a good source for the custom molded ones?

I have been using the rolled up foam type and they just aren't cutting it, something is screwy with my left ear canal that makes it a bitch to get a seal, and even when I sort-of do it falls out when I put my helmet on.

I've tried the multiple sized sampler packs, no luck there. I'm guessing I need the custom mold for that ear.

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

5. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Got mine from a audiologist at the local (Carrollton, Tx) Easter Seals.

6. bumpskiis

bumpskiis Well-Known Member

I found a kit to make your own in the sporting goods (shooting) section at wally world. Kit was like 11$ by Silencio if I remember right.

7. HighWay

HighWay Well-Known Member

Most gun shows will have a booth setup to do the custom plugs.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the make I bought last summer but the one's sold at Walmart seem to be the same, Radians.

9. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

Where are you from?

10. Scotty87

Southeastern Wisconsin.

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep, thats where he did mine too. :up: The guy is/was a racer and lives in Athens.

12. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I just went to a local hearing aid place and they made them for me. Been using them for several years now.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I just tried earplugs for the first time last weekend and I was surprised how much better I like it with them. I thought they would be more annoying and F-up my equilibrium.

Now my problem (interestingly enough) is that same Scotty's. The cheapo ones that I bought from Home Depot sit just fine in my right ear, but for some reason I can't ever get them seated properly in my left.

14. Scotty87

Well I think I found a solution. I just picked up a set of the Radian brand do it yourself molding kind at Gander for 15 bucks. I think they're going to work great, they sealed up everything well while they were in my ear curing. I tested them by using a grinder out in the shop and the noise reduction is about perfect for use on a bike, I would guess. They're rated at 26-whatever for noise reduction. Time will tell if they continue to work well, I have to let them continue curing for 4 hours before I can re-insert them.

I'll add to follow the instructions to the letter if you use this kit, the salesperson told me he uses them for shooting but had to buy a second kit because the first ones didn't cure right and he said it's because he didn't follow the directions closely enough. Also I let them cure in my ears untill I couldn't hear the curing process happening anymore, that actually took around an hour... the directions say a minimum of ten minutes.

For 15 bucks I think they're worth taking a chance on.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I may give those Radians a shot then. Because the generic foam plugs work OK, but definitely not great.

16. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Regarding the foam ones.... a trick to getting them to stay in is to manipulate your ear to get the ear canal to open up a bit so they slide in.

What works for me is to use the left arm and reach over my head, grab the top/back part of my right ear and pull sorta up and out. The use right hand to slide it in. When reaching over I sorta have my left arm straight up so my left elbow is by my left ear, then reach across and grab right ear and pull up and out.

Works for me.....

17. Scotty87

I've done all that shit, in addition to opening my mouth, moving my jaw around, etc. No difference. Cool thing about the Radians is when I took 'em out I could clearly see the difference between my two ear canals.

18. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

I can do them for you Scotty, shoot me a PM. I live in North Prairie.

19. Scotty87

Wow man, that would be awesome. PM incoming. :beer:

20. rsixxer

rsixxer Well-Known Member