1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input from peeps who camp @ the track in their trailers

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Dude, Apr 17, 2011.

1. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

I'm selling my toy hauler, and my game plan for this year is to camp out @ the track in my enclosed trailer. I've insulated the walls and ceiling, but am still a bit concerned about heating it during the spring/fall here in Colorado.

My girlfriend is cold natured, she thinks the house is cold when it's 75*, so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the trailer toasty and her happy @ the track. I've looked into propane heaters, electric radiant heaters I could run off the generator. Even looked into putting a small wall-hung "fireplace" that runs off propane to heat the trailer. I found last year sleeping on an air mattress on the floor was great when I fell asleep, but the cold in the floor seemed to suck the air out of the mattress and woke up basically sleeping in a glorified hammock.

I really want to avoid staying @ hotels and driving to-from track if at all possible, but also have to be realistic and make sure it's an enjoyable stay for the both of us.

Whats your setup guys? I'm open to anything, 16' enclosed trailer... pics, input, whatever appreciated!

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

buy a toy hauler??

3. The_Dude

I have one... selling it, it's not economical pulling it 4-7 hours one way w/fuel prices the way they are. I save about 2 tanks of gas a weekend using my 16' enclosed over my 22' toy hauler.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

electric blanket under the air mattress... only way I could ever stay warm. Those things sitting on a cold floor suck the warm right out of you. If you don't mind cutting your trailer, a lot of people had good results with window a/c units that also have heat. or get a roof mount unit

5. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

I've got a 8 x 18 x 7' tall trailer with insulation in the ceiling, but not the walls. I throw a piece of carpet between my air mattress and the floor (I have a rubber floor in my trailer). I run a small (~1000W) electric heater with a thermostat control. Keeps me nice and toasty down to about 40 degrees. I tried the small propane heater, but I was always afraid of it going out and filling the trailer with propane or the oxygen level gettign low...

6. tarheelguy451

tarheelguy451 Well-Known Member

They're right about that air mattress pulling the warmth outta you. And the colder it gets the less pressure in the mattress, you end up on the floor when it gets down in the 30's.

Air Mattress + heating blanket. Keeps you warm and mattress inflated.

7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Walmart,Target, ect sells a frame that folds out like those chairs in a bag, specifically made for air matresses. Thats what its designed to do is keep the air mattress up off the floor, and they DO work on keeping the mattress from getting cold due to the cold floor.

Ive got an 8x24' Vnose that is my "home away from home", and with the walls and ceiling insulated, 2 - 1500W electric heaters will absolutely run you out of there in the winter months.

8. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

Get an air mattress that has legs. Then get an electric space heater. I was at Jennings in December and it was in the mid 30's outside and the trailer stayed at 75 (where I set it) and the heater wasn't struggling at all.

9. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

This is what I haul my bike and camp in. Its perfect. It has an inverter system w/ a 50 amp panel. Has a mini fridge, flat srcreen TV, Coffee maker, and a kick ass stereo with O/S speakers. Tons of lockable storage cabinets, pull out tool tray. I bought a queen size piee of memory foam and the bed goes across the back.

Attached Files:

10. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

who are you tryin to kid? you don't even go to the race track...

12. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

Pot - meet Kettle :Poke:

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

touche'....fucker.:D

back to the trailer discussion...another option is to stack two mattresses , also makes for easier dismount in the morning and is pretty comfy.

14. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I have a 40' toy hauler that I like a lot, but your rig is cool. I like the organization. One thing my toy hauler is not great on, but it does have first class living space/accommodations. I've also thought about a Sprinter setup with cabinets, gen, etc. But with a toy hauler I've still got a dually to drive around when I drop the trailer. Whatever works.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You can always put a foam roll under the air mattress.

Sleep on top of the electric blanket. Also use a electric space heater and a fan.

You'll be good.

16. The_Dude

17. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I used my buddies 6x12 enclosed when I went to the track the first weekend in April. It was around 35degrees at night, in a non insulated trailer. Slept in a sleeping bag on a cot, with a small electric space heater going. It stayed around 60 degrees in the trailer. Probably would have stayed warmer with insulation or a bigger heater.

18. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

why in the world does it matter if the air mattress gets cold? Just throw a blanket on top of it and sleep on the blanket.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Showing up in a ambulance at the track is a bit too prophetic to me. :D

20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Exactly my thought... :rolleyes: