1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check engine light when ECU Swap...???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by C.R.Gixxer, Mar 29, 2011.

1. C.R.Gixxer

C.R.Gixxer Well-Known Member

Hey, guys I'm on a 09' CBR600RR (track), Due to the emissions restrictions on the 09's ecu its ponys are sleeping. I know the quick fix is to get an ignition modulator but we are not able to use them so I dropped in a 08' ecu "should bring them back" and now the yellow check engine light is on.
    Any clue?
    Should I just ride it with the light on? there is no engine problem.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Kick stand down, bike in neutral, turn the key on. What code does it flash?

3. C.R.Gixxer

Nothing the light only comes on when the bike is started, my Kickstand is off

4. Demented

Open the kickstand circuit then, and start it the bike in neutral. If it still doesn't flash a code and just stays solid, more then likely it is just a harness issue on the MIL circuit.

5. C.R.Gixxer

Meaning I'm good to go............??
    I'm sure it is.... the bike has 800 miles on it

6. Demented

Meaning you should open the kickstand circuit, put the bike in neutral, start it, and see what the code is. If it just stays solid with no code, there's an issue in the MIL circuit requiring some troubleshooting and fixing. If it's just the MIL, it wont stop the bike from working but you'll never know if a DTC gets set because of an issue with the bike.

7. C.R.Gixxer

Demented........
    I cant find for the life of me my kickstand switch.....
    The weird part is that there's no engine light when the original ecu is in.... Only when placing the 08' and starting the bike up, could it be that the 08' ecu is faulty?
    Dam.... another thing is that we had to replace the wiring harness, everything seems good, but my clock always resets to 1:00am when I start her up could this be the issue?
    Bike runs strong....

8. Demented

Could be, which is why you gotta let the bike get into the mode to flash the fault codes. The clock resetting could be an issue as well, or just a low battery.

If you can't find the switch, or at least the wires to cut them, try this.
    1) DLC plug under the seat (red with a PITA to remove cap) Jump the brown and green wires together.
    2) Kill switch in run
    3) Turn bike on, don't start it.

It should flash the code if there is one. May be a series of long and short flashes.

9. C.R.Gixxer

Ok, with the 09'ecu (No check engine light) I got 5 long flashes then 1 short.
    Its gonna take me a bit the get the other one in cus my fairings are a pain.

10. C.R.Gixxer

Maybe I need to clear the DTC of the 08' ecu?
    Not sure how to though.

11. C.R.Gixxer

OK this is 100% the flashes there not easy to count
    With the 08'ecu (check engine light on only while running)
    3 sets of flashes
    1) 3 long 3 short
    2) 5 long 1 short
    3) 2 long 5 short
    Then repeats

12. Demented

1) ECU malfunction
    2) HESD malfunction. Possibly bad or not plugged in.
    3) Not sure on this one. Could it have been 3 long 3 short?

Though since there is an ECU failure, I wouldn't worry about the other 2 codes unless they show up again with a good ECU.

13. C.R.Gixxer

Thnks
    Demented!!!!
    I guess that ECU was garbage.
    Gona go buy another 1.
    We need more people like you.
    Have a good day...!!!

14. C.R.Gixxer

Ok, just got my 2nd 08' ecu, guess what....??? Same thing check engine light goes on when bike is running..... even though, I went on and took her for a spin.... doesn't feel sluggish at all, but I really cnt tell the difference here..... if she is releasing more pony's.
    Are we sure those ecu's are compatible?
    Dam.....

15. Demented

Yeah, they're compatible. It's the same exact bike, they just electronically kill some power.

Is it flashing the same codes, or some different ones now?

16. C.R.Gixxer

She keeps repeating
    2 long 5 short......
    thats all i get

17. Demented

That's a much better fault now. Knock sensor circuit/sensor malfunction. Wont harm the engine to not fix it, but would probably be best if you do for future issues if any. Doesn't kill power or change the mapping any either.

More than likely it's just an issue of not being plugged in or the sensor is just bad. The sensor should be getting 4.75v-5.25v, Y/R is power, G is ground. It's just below the starter and thermostat on the back of the motor. Before checking it, I'd suggest letting the bike go through three start, run, off cycles and see if it resets. Might just be a stored DTC on the new ECU, unless it's a brand new one.

18. C.R.Gixxer

Demented, were can I find out what this ecu codes mean?
    I'm not really following the DTC Index in the service manuel...

19. Demented

I believe there's a list over on 600rr.net in the troubleshooting section, but it might just be a tl;dr of the service manual codes.

For the index in the service manual, just focus on the first numbers and not what's after the dash. That's just for specifics regarding checking with Honda's HDS and will let you know if it's a low voltage, high voltage, open fault, or what ever else it could be. Nothing that 1 minute with a voltmeter wont be able to tell you.
    Like how there's code 25-3 and 25-3, just ignore the -2 and -3 until you figure out the issue, and if you need to read more into how to test for each thing.

20. C.R.Gixxer

Once again Demented.... you do man....!!! Wish you lived around my neck of the woods....
    ok last thing, To reset the DTC start'er up 3 times? with out the jump?

Oh by the way if you dnt mind me asking you work on bikes for a living or this is just a hobby? because dam... you do know your shit...