1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pedal Bike ??

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Any organized group ride around the ATL is gonna be 18+mph with some as high as 23+mph. I've been on 80 mile rides that average 19-20mph.:Puke:

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Did a century in south GA that averaged almost 20 for 100 miles.

but on the flat that is manageable. Up in the ATL area that would suck a LOT more I am sure. I cant imagine. I think I might would have died

3. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

My regular Saturday ride (& we go again Sunday most weeks) is a 60-75 mile averaging 19-20 with sprints hitting 25-28 (I am closer to 25 than 28). But, it has taken me nearly a year of getting dropped by these guys every week to get to where I can hang with them consistently. Now I even pull for some stretches.

I did some triathlons & duathlons last year, and the key thing I learned that made me faster is this, riding with a challenging group that you can't quite hang with is much more effective at improving your speed than individual TT rides on your Tri bike. Find a group and ride with them at least one day on the weekends.

4. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

I competed in a few short tri's for the first time last year. I found an ex Ironman competitor leading a training group locally. Helped my swimming a bunch. Biggest advantage was swimming with in a pack. Big difference from swimming alone. If you're not comfortable in a pack, you probably won't put your face in the water. Tougher to swim smoothly that way.

5. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Trying to figure out a starter cycling bike..and the prices are very heavily divided...It seems like I can get into an older bike for 300$...or drop 5K. Any suggestions?

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Atlanta Cycling is good. The Retul system at All3 is gonna run you around $400 for a pro fit. Outspokin in Woodstock is a good shop too. I bought my Storck from Atl Cycling.

There are plenty of fast rides in the area if you are interested. The Airport Ride finished up this month. Averaged 100+ riders some of who were domestic pros. Speeds averaged around 22-23 overall with sections on some roads maintaining a steady 28-30 for miles.

Look up the Sunday Ride group on yahoo for info on regular rides in the Atlanta area. Lookup The Airport Ride on facebook for vids of that group. Mainly racers but some strong non competitive types.

I don't think any of you yahoos are in the Newnan PTC area but we have a small fast Thursday Night Ride. The last time I checked the numbers we did 2k of elevation change, 39 miles and averaged 21.5 for the juicy bits and 20.5 overall.

The only thing we have going for us in this neck of the woods is long rolling roads with no traffic. Silk Sheets bishes.

Starter bike. Cannondale CAAD X with Rival would be just fine. Frames are generally very similar along all price points for major brands. The exception being the carbon being used. The difference is the components. Generally I would look at Rival or 105 and up.

And if anyone starts getting serious, get a power meter. First you get humiliated by the numbers, then you start to work on your weaknesses.

7. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

2200$ for a caadx? Fuuuuuu

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thanks for all the help guys, and strickette :D. I am doing a couple group rides here in Woodstock/Canton and I am definitely one of "those guys" holding things up. But after a few steady weeks I can already feel a difference. The first couple times up a Cat 5 climb in canton i was wasted, now its not quite so bad, it just sucks. But I do like thinking of all the calories burned and weight I am dropping.

GSVR- if you can get a good idea of what frame size you need check on ebay or craigslist. If you can get someone knoweldgeable to help you can find good deals. I picked up this bike/trainer http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=285490 for under $700 and it was only ridden a couple times. The guy bought it and then hurt neck/back doing some other training and didnt ride it again. The mold lines and rubber nipples were still on the tires. It was a ~$1300 bike only when new.

You just need some idea of what to look for. There are lots of "im gonna get in shape and ride 100mi a week but quit after 4 ride bikes out there".

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I am riding an old CAAD 4 with Sora components I got for $150 used :D.

I dont like the SORA shifters, but for the price my bike is awesome :D

10. I just want to make sure this doesn't go unnoticed.

:crackup:

11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

FWIW I am better than Chaotic

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Shoulda said Caad N. Your pick of Caad frame with whatever components you want. There's a Caad for every price point.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous