1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Help

Discussion in 'General' started by 6_Myles, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I moved into a new office and setting up my network and running into what I believe is an IP conflict but I'll let the experts tell me what's up.

There's an existing network in the building and I'm getting my internet connection off of one of the existing switches, running into my linksys wireless router and making my own network (setup my own workgroup) off of that router.

How should I configure my wrt54gs router not to affect the existing network (which it's doing now). Thanks.

2. MHR-Speedy

MHR-Speedy Well-Known Member

How big is the other network in the building? Are there IP addresses available in their DHCP Scope? If so, you can ask them to reserve a set of IP's and set the DHCP within your router to only use those addresses in the range they provide you. There may be a firewall issue with just plugging your router into their switch also. Your best bet will be to get with the Network admin of the existing network.

3. BB

BB Member

They are probably using the same private IP scheme that the Linksys has by default (192.168.x.x). I assume that your Linksys has DHCP enabled and if so, its giving you an IP address that conflicts with one on the existing network.

You need to talk to the LAN admin. He should be able to assign your Linksys a static IP so you have manangement access to it. Disable DHCP on the Linksys to see if you pull an IP/gateway information from the existing network.

The bad part is if your linksys starts responding to DHCP requests from his LAN. People are not going to be happy.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'll need to know the IP range being used on the other side and set your router to a range other than that one in use. NAT will take care of the rest. Also you may want to turn off the SSID broadcast on your router, set up encryption and limit access to the wireless to just your MAC addresses. This requires effort to maintain is you have wireless devices for other uses coming in and out of the building. If those devices are not part of your corporate resources than set up a seperate subnet and access point that is firewalled off from your infrstructure. Leave that one open for people to use when visiting your office.

5. 6_Myles

Thanks, they don't have a IT guy. One of their employee's built their network when they first started out 8 years ago.

Got it all squared away now, as a couple of people guess the Linksys was defaulting to 192.168.1.1 which their DHCP server had already handed out. I set the router to static IP and turned of DHCP (their firewall/router is handling that) then released/renewed all the IP addresses and it seem to be cleared now. Thanks for the help all.

...and FYI, y'all are a bunch of NERDS!

6. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Lucky you didn't bring down the whole network there by having DHCP running ;)

7. 6_Myles

No kidding, just dumbed out and forget to turn it off first thing.

8. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

If your DHCP was running on the INSIDE of your router it would have no effect on THEIR network.
    If you have a static WAN side(their network) setup and it is correct then you can do anything you want on the LAN side. I would recommend using a different IP scheme on the LAN side(your side) of the router.
    The PC's on your side of the router should NOT be able to get IP addresses from THEIR DHCP router. Are you sure the DHCP server on the LAN side of the router is not running? or that you dont have another device on the LAN side that is giving out DHCP addresses.
    You must have a pass thru setup if your PC's can get DHCP information from their DHCP server
    I would setup DHCP on YOUR router for the LAN side. Insert the DNS addresses that they are using on THEIR network so your DHCP clients get the right DNS info.
    Good luck hope it all works out