Sidecar Passenger Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Johnny_Killmore, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Also, Becker Moto Works has about 8 sidecars in various states of build from bare frame to his current #1 plate holding F1 that he's running. Formula 1 and Formula 2 spec, and vintage bikes. His shop is 760-961-2108. William Becker.
    -Johnny

2. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Sorry....But, uh, yeah...

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

"killmore" really starts to sound ominous when you consider 187 is code for "murder in progress".
    :D

4. Mark,

Who knew this place was filled with a bunch of no-shows. I thought there would be a gaggle of dudes looking for some fun. I was a little worried about being too damn wore out after jumping my old ass around a bike then hopping on the SV to get business done. Fuck it tho. When will I get this chance again ? Although, the GF did give me a little grief. It's cute. She likes me.

Gonna get my dangle on.

5. Ok, I have a taker. Assuming he works out, the seat is filled. Of course, you never really know until after the first session. Some people can't stand it, some people can't pick up on it quickly, and there's no way to know for sure until you do a hot lap.

Oh, and FYI for the east coast, there is an SRA over there, though we're not technically affiliated (but with only about 20 active teams in the country, we keep in touch). Their forum is at www.sidecarracers.com , although the website is currently down. I don't actually know their shcedule for 2011. The west coast series is at www.sra-west.us .
    -John

6. John, you think you have enough time to make me a shirt that has this:stupid: logo on it ? sidecars give it new meaning :up:

7. Only if I get one that has arrows facing in every direction, cuz you are gonna be all over that bike trying to keep it pointed in the right direction :beer:
    -John

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

That is so badass

wanna share some tech specs of that bike? (if you would not mind, that is)

brakes, motor, suspension, etc.

9. Well, it's a Windle chassis (English). The brakes are Lockheed (English). The rotors are cast iron, and are similar to Formula Ford rotors from the late 80's (which I hear are similar to old Mini Cooper brakes). The rear rotor is a stainless though, I dont know what it's from. It's a rear off some Japanese cruiser I think. The rear/chair master cylinder is a Willwood 1in auto racing set up, the front is a Brembo 19mm radial mount. I have CBR600RR rotors and calipers but can't get them mounted up without taking the front end apart, which I don't have time/money for. The rear does most of the braking anyway.

[​IMG]
    The shocks front and rear are preload only Progressive shocks. As per the rules there's no suspension in the chair.
    The motor was a '95 GSXR750 with 1100 head (still have that for sale hint hint) but now it has an '02 GSXR1000. Totally stock other than removing the ram air. K&N filter, stock exhaust with the baffle drilled out. Cutsom header of course to make it fit, and the oil pan is cut and a baffle is installed to stop oil from sloshing up the side of the engine and contacting the cranshaft while it's spinning at 13k RPM. 535 chain (a lot of traction back there) turning a 13inx7.5in aluminum wheel with mag center. The chair wheel is a Mini Cooper. Radiator uses repro side tanks from a '39 Ford and is cutom built. It never gets above 182 degrees.
    The body is a modified unit from an old 1980's style mold. There is obviously a lot of work that goes into it. There's not a lot you can buy off the shelf and there is a mess of English standard, American Standard, and metric stuff.

[​IMG]

It's not the way to go about it honestly. This thing was originally designed to have 10in rims and a BSA or Triumph twin. It has more traction than the frame can stand and more engine than the brakes can handle. It's a serious handful. However, a race-ready Becker chassis with engine is over $20k for an F2, and about $30k for an F1. A ton-shelf LCR aluminum chassis is over $50k without engine, plus shipping from Sweeden. I just keep adding to the one I have, but it's actually drastically shorter and narrower than any of the other bikes on the grid. In the off season I hope to build a swingarm for it with a different offset, to put the rear wheel out further to the right, and put the brake on the right side so it can get some cooling air. That and a new shock in the rear should really help in high speed corners, as well as trying to launch from slow corners. There is a lot of throttle steer and sliding that goes on, and it's difficult to do to tell the truth.
    Can you tell yet that I'm totally obsessed with this thing? :D
    Oh, but it's for sale mind you. I have my eyes on either a vintage sidecar (we are trying to expand that class right now) or a Becker F2. This one to be precise:
    [​IMG]

Then maybe I can finally catch the legend:
    [​IMG]

I've been chasing Becker Moto Works for 3 years now, and have pulled to within a second a lap at Willow Springs, but that's still a mighty big gap. Gotta find some stability on turn in and some better brakes... and a full-time passenger than can kick in funds :)
    Cheers,
    John

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Can you find out please?

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

thanks for posting all those specs. I knew that it was a labor intensive sport...but this is borderline prototype style racing.

12. Yep, I will ask around when I'm at the track. His old passenger will be there on another bike. Will see if he's interested in selling.

Yep, definitely like prototype racing. It's "Formula Sidecar" and lives up to the name. It's a club-level version of what most car racing is like. Instead of Lola or Cosworth it's Becker Moto Works and CSR.

I dig that there's no book to follow. You can't go to a race school, you can't copy what other people are doing, you can't watch an instructional video. You just gotta grab the handlebars and twist the throttle, and figure out what feels right. Very challenging. Well that, and the tires last forever :) Even better, you can run on worn rubber without landing on your face. It just understeers or spins the rear up.

And btw, thanks to everyone for their interest. Sometimes I've found solo bike racers turn their nose up to sidecars. It was like that when I raced supermoto too (just before AMA picked it up). It's great to run into people that are genuinely interested. I wasn't sure what to expect when I posted, but there's some really nice people floating around here.
    Cheers,
    John

13. dear bunch of pansies,
    [​IMG]

Found time while chillin with John to take a snapshot.
    Helmet cam during practice was running some good video once I get some sleep.

And one for the sponsors !

[​IMG]
    Turn 4
    [​IMG]

14. sdg

sdg *

Sweet. :rock:

15. My Favorite:
    [​IMG]

Hunting:
    [​IMG]

Team Johnny Killmore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

wow thats all I got wow so f'n cool

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I was walking through the pits and they were doing an announcement about needing another monkey...We all started laughing...wondering if the other monkey was picked up by the corner workers and put on the trailer, or if they use an ambulance. :)

It was good fun watching!

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

If i weren't across the country from you i would be in for sure. Id love to give it a go.

5'9" 165lbs with good cardio :D

19. One of our other stablemates, Neil, ended up being the monkey for the passenger wounded in the race start. I have a hell of a time believing that these guys needed something and we were the only two that came through. :shame:

I wish I had more time between races, though. Only got a couple of minutes between 8lap sidecar hack and 20 lap lwt solo. barf. Things started going dark after my 20 lapper.

Either way I think Johnny claimed he knocked down his best lap time. I was stoked to be a part of that milestone. What an excellent teacher, great driver and amazing member of this community. :up:

I also noticed that the sidecars got as many watchers as "superbikes" out there this past weekend. People love watching these racers; keep sidecars coming Mongo!

If you think it's fun watching it's 100x more fun doing. It's not my new addiction but that was my funnest Wera race, yet.

20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Definite bucket list material