1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant

Discussion in 'General' started by RichB, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka
    http://www.facebook.com/cfayokosuka

Lots of people trying to figure out wtf is going on with their loved ones. This is a huge operation getting the word to everyone. Whatever the Navy knows, they are preparing to GTFO.

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

That isn't good. I was watching the CNN international feeds this morning of the helicopter drops; seems like it's pouring a cup of water on a house fire :(

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It makes sense for the Navy to be preparing with so many people to move. They haven't given any order to evacuate just yet. It does show some concern over how things are going.

4. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Key word from Japan today is a possible breach of reactor core 3.

6. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

When you see the USA moving it 4.5 billion dollar aircraft carrier out of the way it might be time to worry

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd expect the 4.5 billion ship to be moved at even a hint of trouble. When they start worrying about the $4.50 ones I'll really be worried.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Problem now is dealing with the tons of highly radioactive water leaching into the ground and nearby ocean.

9. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

What I remembered from Radcon 101.. Dilution is the solution :wow:

10. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

From NEI:

11. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Is 1000 millisieverts per hour bad?

13. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

That's just about enough to show up in blood work. Not bad, but not lethal. Assuming one would absorb every bit of that radiation, they'd have to stand in the area of radiation for about 25 hours straight before they get a lethal dose. That's just highly unlikely to happen.

Newborns, people with developing cells, and pregnant mothers are about the only ones at real risk there with 1000mSv/hour. People need to really worry when readings start getting close to 2500-3000mSv/hour, which will make people ill.

Edit: 25000mSv/hour is enough to kill someone in just one hours time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

15. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Definitely not a good situation, but a very very lucky one. If that article is accurate, the situation could have been a hell of a lot worse.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Prelim reports
    http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/fukushima/japan-report/

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Meetin...tion/cn200_Final-Fukushima-Mission_Report.pdf

Cliff notes version
    http://www.npr.org/2011/06/20/137303620/reports-why-things-fell-apart-at-fukushima-plant?ft=1&f=1001

"By agreement with the Government of Japan, the International Atomic Energy Agency conducted a preliminary mission to find facts and identify initial lessons to be learned from the accident at Fukushima Dai-ichi and share this information across the world nuclear community. To this end, a team of experts undertook this Fact Finding Mission from 24 May to 2 June 2011. The results of the Mission will be reported to the IAEA Ministerial Conference on Nuclear Safety at IAEA headquarters in Vienna on 20 24 June 2011."

Interesting details like the workers using a car battery to try to operate valving after they lost power.