Go Pro camera vs ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gogi, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

I have a GP Hero 1080.The video is incredible for clarity but the wide angle makes bikes in front look like they are much further away than they are.Very difficult to video my riding partner on the track as she's faster than me.(Yeah I know GO FASTER) What camera are you using and how is the video as far as clarity and distance??

2. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

3. T-pole

T-pole Member

I just ordered a contour GPS yesterday from Costco. $299, free shipping, cheapest I've found.

I've never used a GoPro, but this looks easier to use, and no wide angle.

4. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

^^ awsome find! ^^
    U will not be disappointed

5. Stephen81

Stephen81 Well-Known Member

Where do you mount these? Im not a fan of the helmet cam i guess you just would use the suction cup mount to get a tank cam view. This thing looks awesome not sure why it doesn't include lap times??

6. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

Contour GPS

Wow thats cool,Do youhave to do anything to get the map to show up with all the speed info or does it download the vid automatically with it??

7. Stephen81

Stephen81 Well-Known Member

Looks like it is already on the software when you watch the video. I wonder if you can overlay it onto the video though?

8. foster

foster Well-Known Member

Havoc, how's the gps tracking? Engadget says: "GPS coordinates are captured at 1hz intervals -- too slow for perfectly accurate lap times at the track, but good enough for most outdoor pursuits."

9. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

10. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

I spent $25 and got a three of those keychain cameras. Not nearly the quality video or sound as the GoPro, but at $8 a piece I didn't really care. Best thing about them is you can buy some 3M Dual Lock and stick the things anywhere, making for some interesting angles. Pretty decent quality, but if you want excellent video quality, go with those mentioned above.

11. rivmin

rivmin Member

It's configurable....0, 1, 2 and 4 Hz.

12. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

I honestly havent used the gps yet..I just got it a few wks ago.I had the Contour Hd,But couldnt pass up the deal on the gps model.Going to take it out on the v rod this wk to play with it.I had my dad machine me a custom bracket.

13. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

what are the different settings mean for the gps

14. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

Helmet and tail I use the Apex Speed Technoogy bullet cam. Not hd, but very high quality. They weigh only 30grams. Forward cam is a Contour Gps.

15. Cliff#11

Cliff#11 Well-Known Member

How's the batt life on this? Anyone have some track time they recorded?

16. Cliff#11

Cliff#11 Well-Known Member

NM.. just seen grants posts.. looks pretty nice!!

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I love my 720p Contour. Simple. Does a damn good job. I may pick up a 1080p version and drop my 720 unit to shoot off the back of the bike.

18. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

These cameras all look pretty good.

19. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

It'd be even better if my windscreen wasn't permanently bugged over from neglect. I tried cleaning it when I mounted the camera but I guess 2 year old bugs are permanent.:D

20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The most impressive aspect of the GoPro for me is its consistent white balance. Clearly, the programmers spent a great deal of time making sure the color was accurate in a wide range of lighting situations. Even with the best DSLR cameras, this is something that has to be carefully considered when taking shots - and the GoPro does it all without any input from the user. For less than three-hundred squids, it's an incredible piece of technology.