Too big?

Discussion in 'General' started by kris, Mar 21, 2011.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Do you have the proper spring rates and such? May want to run this by Kent @ GMD Computrack because maybe if you're pushing the limits, it could be that the bike's just not hooking up for you... idk, just a thought. Good luck! :D

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

You do realize a 600 today makes more horsepower than some small econobox cars do right? At that, you realize said cars weigh a few thousand lbs. you combined with the bike is what...650-700lbs or so?

No. You are not too big

3. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input gents ;) might stick to the 600

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

For a second I thought you were talking about me.

5. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I'm 230, and I can consistently podium on my SV650 now. So no, you are not too big to be competitive on a 600 at the club level. As a pro, well... yeah, you are too big.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Honestly, when you reach a certin level, yes, your weight will hood you back. A lot. But if you're asking this question, you're not at that level.

7. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Truth! Yeah, don't worry about it. I won a lot of expert 600 races at 220lbs:rock:

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

if arkle can win a lightweight championship, no way you're too big. BTW, 220# is nothing.

9. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I'm 230-240 before gear and raced a well prepped 600 all last year and part of the season before in novice. I could never do better then 4-5th usually. Jumped on a 1000 and went straight to 1st place in novice. I actually finished better in the 750 classes then the 600 classes on my 600 for some reason?(fewer entries maybe?)

So yes, at your size I would say you will be more competitive on a 1000 vs. a 600. I will say that the 600 gave me plenty of practice at pushing harder and chasing guys around the track which I think has helped me on the 1000. Just lackluster finishes with no podiums. Now I just need to transition more to a point and shoot style for the 1000 vs. the high corner speed style of a 600.

My .02

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I'm fat AND slow.

Just a data point....

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

:stupid:

12. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

13. :stupid:

Im 215lbs without gear...and i race a 675.

Granted, i lose out to the R6's and shit like that on the straights, but i enjoy riding the 675 and i know that there are lots of people who could go much faster on my 675. Therefore neither the bike nor my size are limiting factors.

Race what makes you happy.

14. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

What would you guys consider too large/big on a pro level? I'm currently 6'2" 220lbs before gear and 238lbs with gear. I'm not saying I'll ever get to a professional level, but if one day by David Blaine's grace I got there would I not be considered competitive because of my size?

15. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Paging Davie Stone! Mr. Stone to the white courtesy phone!

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Now we need to determine what being a pro really is.

17. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

:up:

18. 418

418 Expert #59

Anybody know how big Luca Scassa is? That's another big guy that can apparently rock a 600 pretty good.

19. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I'm 220 and rock a tard and a ul. run what u brung I say

20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

ha ha ha ha ha