1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant

Discussion in 'General' started by RichB, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I wanna find some super strong, (and expensive) perminant nuclear magnets for the perpetual motion machine I want to invent. You know like the office desk magnet that keeps going. A machine that can run on your own physical steering, throttle and braking inputs.

Diagrams drawn, patent pending. :)

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Sold out, but I think this may be of use to you when they get more in. :up:
    http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_71&products_id=285

3. Inquizid

Yes!

Imagine what would occur if you put that on somebody you didn't like's car door.
    (Not that I ever would, but I've heard some pretty funny stories involving ripped pants because some idiot had one in a pants pocket)

4. Demented

I'd be afraid to even be 10' from a car with one of those, let alone any other piece of ferrous metal.

5. Inquizid

Yet I dream of making a vehicle based on four of them. :)

Polymer perhaps?

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Holy shizz!

I had a pair of smaller (3/4"x3/4") cylinder magnets similar to those that the boss at work gave me. I'm not too sure of the construction of them but if you put one on the press frame, you could not pull it off unless you forced it to the egde of the frame and rocked it over the edge. By force I mean push with the heal of your hand while pulling against the press to keep you from pushing yourself away from the magnet!

I used to make a 2 to 1 bet with my friends that they couldn't pull them apart using only their hands after I had stuck the magnets together. No one ever won, but I did get about twenty bucks total.

Well, one day I was showing someone new to the group of friends I hung with how strong they were by trying to push them together. He held one and I held one and we were trying to force them together, each with two hands on each one.
    Next thing I know, one of them forces the other to rotate to the opposing pole. That damned thing smashed the tip of my finger just as good as any 24oz. ball peen hammer ever has! Actually it was worse because a ball peen hammer doesn't have any perfectly machined 90 degree angles.:wow:

Not to have learned a lesson right then and there, my friend didn't want to hold both for fear that he'd do the same thing to his index finger. I put one of them in my right hand pants pocket while he played with the other remaining magnet.
    About an hour went by and I was off shooting the shit with some other friends there and I forgot all about who had the magnet. I went to look for it and eventually found that he had stuck it to an overhead iron pipe. I reached up and grabbed it with my already injured right hand and went to place it in my right hand pants pocket. Did you remember earlier in my story where I had put the magnet that I kept in my possession? I sure as hell didn't! Smashed my already busted up index finger again, and yes, it hurt much worse the second time. At least there was a bit of bunched up pocket and pants material in between my finger and the magnets this time. I'm not sure if it actually cushioned the blow or just helped stop the bleeding!

My lesson was learned upon realizing how lucky I was that I didn't attempt to put the loose magnet into my left hand pants pocket! :wow:

Actually, maybe I haven't learned my lesson. I just book marked that site!

7. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Just be thankful you didn't have one in one pocket and one in the other with testicles in between.:eek:

8. caferace

caferace No.

9. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Was just reading about this. Seems they're debating flying helicopters over and pouring Boric acid over the number 4 reactor.

Damn I hope things work out for them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  10. you're

you're Banned

wow....to say that would suck is an understatement.

11. Demented

I wonder if that is why workers are being told to leave. Don't quite want to be around when helicopters are dumping Boric acid on and have the chance to breath it in.

Jim, if they have power back at the facilities, they don't necessarily need people on site to open valves or keep pumps running. Those plants are pretty much run by themselves with how automated they are. Might not mean things are starting to go worse for the situation.

Edit: When we start hearing about political leaders fleeing Japan and workers hauling ass away from the plant, then we know shit is going south.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  12. caferace

caferace No.

13. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

I knew this wasnt going to end well by the way the inforamtion was being released. I think they are screwed and it an out of control situation now. 50 people taking care of 4 out of control reactors doesnt sound too good. I saw this in another story about the safety statistics of nuclear reactors.

The probability of a core melt had been estimated at about one chance in 10,000 reactor years of operation, he said. "We've had now three core melts in 30 years in less than 500 reactors, he said, referring to Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and now Japan. "So the probability of a partial core melt is one chance in several hundred instead of one chance in 10,000. So, it's not a good statistic

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

US Navy

"At approximately 0700 local (Japan) time, 15 March 2011, sensitive instrumentation on USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN 73) pier-side in Yokosuka, detected low levels of radioactivity from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant. While there is no danger to the public, Commander, Naval Forces Japan is recommending limited precautionary measures for personnel on Fleet Activities Yokosuka and Naval Air Facility Atsugi, including: A. Limiting outdoor activities. B. Securing external ventilation systems as much as practical. These measures are strictly precautionary in nature. We do not expect that any United States Federal radiation exposure limits will be exceeded even if no precautionary measures are taken. We are continuing to analyze the situation and will update you as we learn more."

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Good call based on the ALARA concept(As Low As Reasonably Achievable) or more accurately ALAP(As Low As Possible). Reasoning was abandoned long ago. :D

16. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

This is awesome. Honor and respect. Great concepts. :up:

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I didn't even think they had power back yet to even run pumps.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

US Navy

1. Phase I evacuation will most likely start on Friday, 18Mar11. This is

for the dependents of shipboard FDNF Sailors. This is voluntary.

2. Phase II evacuation is for all other dependents and non-essential USCS

and USN personnel. This may start as early as Saturday, 19Mar11. If

dependents opt to stay behind, they will not have the opportunity to be

evacuated during phase III evacuation.

3. Phase III evacuation is for all mission-essential personnel. This is

mandatory evacuation. No estimated date has been set for this phase yet.

19. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Ah er.. geeee... if there is power to people's homes, then that suggests that all the priority needs are taken care of first... which would include Hospitals and cooling the reactors as a priority over individual homes.... Think about it... and laugh at the silly media still spreading crap...

Ron

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

John, could they have used the residual heat after the scram to to keep the steam flowing to the turbines for power or does a scram not leave enough energy to spin em up, or automatically shut down the steam to the turbines?