Help me identify these brake parts

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fastbroshi, Mar 3, 2011.

1. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Anyone recognize this caliper and master cylinder?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

I guess maybe a little more info is in order, eh? This hub is potentially off of a Honda, was told it would directly fit a cb500/550; 20mm axle. That's about all I got.

3. jake coye

jake coye Active Member

brake parts id

The rotor looks 70's Brembo. The hub/ sprocket carrier looks italian too. no clue on the caliper and master cylinder

4. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Nope. I got some 70's Brembo stuff & I've never seen anything like that caliper. The wheel hub is really different. Interesting.

5. jake coye

jake coye Active Member

brake parts id

I said the ROTOR looks Brembo.

6. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

I couldnt find any pics of it. But it reminds me of late 60s or early 70s girling or lucas caliper ? Master cylinder and rotor/rotor hat look like parts from a race kart.

Early to mid 70s rear brake conversion kit? English or Italian

7. PAPAPIRANHA

PAPAPIRANHA Well-Known Member

Looks like Brembo rotors and calipers used by Ducati in the 70's and early 80's. Have some of that stuff in the garage.

8. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Do you have any pics I could compare with Papapiranha?

9. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

JakeC.'s right. The disc/carrier look Brembo. I've never seen a Brembo caliper or Master that did'nt have the name or emblem on 'em somewhere. Is that M/C made of plastic? It looks like white nylon or similar.

10. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

If I had a lot more money & room for yet another project, I'd be trying like hell to buy this stuff off you. That would look real nice laced into the back wheel of a Ducati belter/Pantah/TT2 replica. That gold paint/plating on the hub make me suspect (wishful thinking but you never know) magnesium. I'd be wasting my time removing that disc, carrier, sprocket & cush drive to heft the castings & find out. I got a lot of liesure time.

11. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

On the inside of the bearing carrier facing the sprocket I found "made in Japan", so likely not from a Duc or anything European.

I'm almost certain it's from a 70s Honda, I'm just unable to confirm.

12. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

very nice stuff!

Was going to say scarab but your "made in japn" find contradicts that.

Certainly its not form any STOCK honda.

have you tried posting this in HiPo section in sohc4?

13. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Nope, not just yet TG. Wanted to actually have them in my hands before I started asking people I "know" as I'm sure they'll have a bunch of questions and I'd like to be able to answer. At first I thought Bimota and I've asked a few Bimota parts suppliers what they thought, they don't have a clue.

I even asked the fella over at VintageBrake and he doesn't know either.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  14. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

OK, here's another question. Just curious. In photo #3,(3rd one down) is that the axle or wheel bearing spacer I'm seeing there? In the center of the hub? That's unique. I'm guessing the wheelbearings would have to have double seals.

15. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Pretty sure it's the spacer, I'll be able to tell you for sure in about a week.

16. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

almost as nice as yours :)

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58472.0

my own little search doesnt show any bimotas with this hub, not even their early suzuki 500 twin based racers and later they switched to cast wheels anyway

really curious about it, what does the PO know/say?

17. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Thanks TG, but I'd trade for that one in a heartbeat, it looks to be AT LEAST 5lbs lighter than this setup. That being said, I'm pretty sure it's going to be lighter than the stock drum setup. All the components weighed in at 22lbs. He said he bought it on ebay, and that it fit his stock 500 swingarm perfectly with all the spacers and hardware included.

I'll update here if I find any info.

18. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

well, dont know if you got hold of it already but if you are looking for the ultimate lightweight, then both of my friends are using CRF450 hubs these days.

only issue is that they dont have much of a drive damper in there but both guys are race winners ;)

Attached Files: