1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gingerman Layout

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Mar 1, 2011.

1. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

You'll definitely want to get a little track time in before doing a test and tune. Getting some instruction from a track day provider is almost a must. Not knowing what your doing out there can end bad. Plus, it's going to be roughly a 3hr drive for you to get about 3hr of track time, if you were to never pull off track.

2. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

pm replied

3. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

just keep in mind that the test and tune days don't have an ambulance or EMT on hand. it's not a risk that a lot of people are willing to take.

4. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Not true. Half of us that started racing over 10 years ago had no clue what we were doing when we first turned a wheel on the track and we turned out fine.

This whole "oh you have to get with a trackday provider and get 100 trackdays in befor eyou can move on " is bullshit.

When you get there ask the riders there a couple questions and follow there lead. With only 5 to 10 riders out there it would be a perfect situation for you to get ur feet wet. No pressure and everyone usually plays nice.

5. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Good info, thanks. I'll just be takin it easy then, learning which way the track goes, checking out the surface.

6. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I'll buy most of that. The first time I ever rode a motorcycle on track was at Red Bud MX. I was 13 year old on a YZ 250 and I had no place being out there. It was the bike I'd been riding around the field, went to an open ride and crashed my brains out all day. Pretty much the same story with my first MX race. Yeah I survived, but it would have been nice to have a little instruction first. As far as I know MX open rides are still run the same way.

My point was that if there is some place to get some prior, instructed track time, why not. Like you said, "everyone usually plays nice" And it is the faster riders responsibility to watch out for slower traffic. However not knowing how to properly enter or exit the track can have some bad results. I'm by no means an expert, hell I haven't even raced yet. Planning a few rounds this year.

Maybe some faster, more experianced riders would be willing to do some private coaching on Thursdays. I'm sure a lot of guys would take advantage of that, myself included. If you see a black and red 1st gen SV putting around there on Thursday's stop over and say hi.

7. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

What's a good lap time with the new section?

8. IWANNAGOFAST15

IWANNAGOFAST15 #NEVERFORGET

1:30 was disalvo. (unofficial, word of mouth) I think 1:35-1:40? Just my opinion. :confused: