1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generators

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bodie1331, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Yamaha or Honda.Cant go wrong! U take care of it it will run 4eva!
    Depends if u have a trailer,Hauler or just running a set of warmers and a fan or small shit... But just because a generator is big in watts, Doesnt mean can run everything all at once.Everything draws amps so u add em up and once u get close to the 30 amp mark u will have to unplug or turn off somethings. My Toy hauler draws 20 amps on start up for the Ac but tapers to 16amps when running, So i have 14 amps left to use.I have a Yamaha EF4500ISE Inverter Generator and i have cant have all on at once.. Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

My Boliy is very quiet. It's a part for part copy of the Yamaha 3000. The story goes that the company used make generators for Yamaha, then said f it and started selling generators themselves.

3. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member

That makes sense if it's actually true. Taurus used to be a manufacturer of Beretta firearms and thus, the quality of their stuff tend to be quite good for the price; or at least that's the story. I'll have to look into the Boliy also.

This certainly has sparked a lot of opinions, thanks to all of you for your input and commentary.

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have 2 Honda EU2000i's. One I bought early 2003 and one I bought in 2007. I have run the crap out of them and the only thing I do is change the oil. I have never had a single maintenance issue. They both have the original spark plug and air filter. I guarantee both will start up right now with no effort and neither has been run since Nashville last fall. I wouldn't think of buying anything else.

5. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

You gotta watch the wattage rating on some of the cheaper ones. I believe they're a bit optimistic sometimes, and you don't want to run a cheap generator at full speed all day long.

Even a Honda EU2000 doesn't run too smoothly when you max out the usage.

Oh, and don't rely on 'friends' being there at the track with your shared generator. Especially if they're married ;-)

Kind of wish most tracks made local power hook ups easier and cheaper. Much more efficient than running a bunch of gas motors all day long. Still nothing like having your own power when you need it.

6. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

I think all these inverter generators are awesome but I would say most new racers don't have that kind of cash. I think this thread would be more informative if there was more price point generators. I spent 2k on my bike i definitely wouldn't spend half that on a generator. I wouldn't be able to race more then 2 weekends this year. Just my 2 cents.

7. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I think what has been suggested since I have been reading these threads is for us new people to spend the money once and get something worthwhile. We can buy a $200 loud generator and then go to upgrade in a year because it hurts our ears and we wing get anything for it. The Hondas I have seen for sale fetch a near new price as long as they are in good shape.

8. blankwall

so i can get a honda eu2000 for $1000. Or i could rent power from the track for $20 for the weekend. That equals 50 weekends. I plan to do 7 weekends this year and if that trend continues I could rent power for over 7 years before equalling the cost of this generator. If you can afford it awesome. But im on a small military salary and am gonna keep my cheapo generator. :up:

9. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

If your lucky enough to be guaranteed juice at the track every weekend, you would be stupid to by any genny. I wish I rode at tracks that I knew for sure I would get power every time.

10. blankwall

True.. its not guranteed but just throwing out figures. I got a cheap ass genny for the times where i cant get power. I just find it very impractical for a new racer to buy a $1000 genny. I race lightweight to save cash and my bike only cost $2000.

11. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

12. Guido

Guido Member

So is the noise concern during the race day itself or is it for those who are staying after and camping. I have a 5500 Watt Generator that I keep for emergencies around the house when the electricity goes out and I need to keep the fridge and sump pump working -- I will say it is a loud Generator with the law mower type exhaust. However, I would hate to have to pay $1000 for another generator primarily to run tire warmers and maybe a fan -- frankly my wife may force me to give this up if it gets to that. If I camp, I can go without a generator -- although I acknowledge it would be a nice to have. The only time during the day that I forsee the track being relatively quiet when I may need to run the generator is 45 minutes before the first practice, and during the lunch hour if my scheduled race is w/i 45 minutes after lunch. Once the motorcycles start racing, it seems to me that the generator noise is drowned out by the motorcycle music. Is that an incorrect assumption.

Obviously, placement of the generator is key, and I would try to set it as to be considerate of the neighbors. However if the consesus is that quite is the most important thing, then let me know so that I can consider it and not become "that guy."

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

yes

14. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Loud generator= park on the outer edge of the paddock (NOT IN THE MIDDLE) buy some long extension cords and move the generator as far as you extension cord will let you.....point the exhaust toward the woods and put a piece of ply wood on the paddock side of the generator.....cheap and doesnt piss people off.....save a little each month to buy a quiet gen when you can.......

15. Guido

Guido Member

Got it! I guess I'll be looking for a Honda EU2000(i).

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Moving away from the crowd might work at some tracks, but not many. There are always people camping away from the crowds, you'll never get a noisy gen away far enough.

17. motoford

motoford Well-Known Member

It's really cool to see everyone so considerate of the noise. I wish the people at campgrounds were as interested in being quiet.

Now if we could just buy a hybrid battery/generator where the generator automatically kicked in when absolutely necessary, to provide extra power and/or charge batteries that run the less power hungry devices.