1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie endurance team

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by No Brakes, Jul 12, 2003.

1. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

About 4 friends and I are considering running the 6 hour endurance race at Barber in Sept. None of us have competed or ridden more like it in an endurance race. How many riders normally per team?
    We're going to use my 01 750 bike, stock suspension. Working on getting the forks worked before the race. Some of you might have passed me in the sprint races, Novice 210.
    From what I've read, we need 1 guy working the fire extinguisher, one working the gas can, 2 guys for tire changing, one scorer, one guy to ride and one to help the rider on/off the bike and help hydrate them.
    Now for the dumb questions, Does anyone race and not use the quick dump fuel can, use normal gas cans? How much gas will we run through, 25-35 gals?
    Are bladders allowed, anyone run them?
    I doubt we'll finish a 6 hour endurance race on 1 set of tires. Considering running Pirelli slicks. Is that what most people run, slicks? We're all slow, fastest is 1:40 at Barber. Weight ranges from 170 to 260. Do they give endurance practices? No one has raced my bike before, one coming from a Ducati 750. So they all need some seat time. Assuming ride at 90% pace?
    Anything thing else I haven't asked. Just looking to have some fun and practice for the sprint races on Sunday.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chris - on Tuesday got to the Suzuki shop on 20 and talk to Rob and Sean - they've done it form one extreme to the other.

To answer what I can - you can do it easily with regular cans, you can even do it on one set of tires but have a spare set mounted just in case. Go into planning on having some serious fun and don't worry about anything else - usually teams having fun do better. You've got it about right on the team number for a minimum. I've seen teams of 3 total people, 2 riders and a crew guy but they are rare.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah, 90% is about right for most people. You'll have a practice day friday, sprint practice saturday and an endurance only practice saturday.

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Mongo made a funny!

Oh really. I find that extremely interesting. ;)

5. If you are really looking to go have fun, then you could do the 6hr with as little as 3 people. Alex and I did the 4hr at nashville with just the 2 of use and we still finished 2nd, that is pretty difficult.
    However the teams around you are normally willing to give a hand a long as you give the same in return. The normal fuel cans are OK, just make sure you have a big funel so you can open the tops completely on the fuel cans. Besides that go out and have agood time and just be consistent on your lines and times and if you start getting worn out its time to switch riders cause otherwise you start making mistakes. Sorry I cant help with the fuel cause we ran a twin that uses a lot less gas than a 4 banger.

6. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Justin,

Why weren't you at Tally?!

7. Fabshop

Fabshop Active Member

Just my 2cents worth, you need atleast 2 scorers, unless you hire a pro who's got it down pat. They have to sit there for 6 hours continuously, no potty breaks, no food or drink breaks. If you can't afford 2 scorers, make sure you visit your scorer every hour.

Otherwise, your plan looks good to me. Good luck!

Nan

8. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

If a scorer can't hang in there for six hours ... what a wimp! We had one person do about 22 of the 24 hours at Willow. (no saying what laps may have been missed at 2 AM)

Just bring 'em Cokes or Redbull's and give 'em about two minutes eevry hour to pee. You usually can get someone else to catch your rider for one lap, which is usually what it takes to duck out and "freshen up".

Good Luck in your first endurance. Its a blast.

(Hey Nan!):)

9. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Where do the scorers hang out? In your pit or in the tower?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The scorers have to stay in the tower hangin with me for the laps they score to be legal.

11. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

Keith - if you somehow need an extra rider, lemme know!! :) I can bring my 750, if you'd like :) i was about to ride at Summit this weekend but i'm having a big party at my new house... man next year let's do a full enrudo season!! :) i can relegate my 750 to that duty if i dotn sell it first, i just plan on running sprints on the TZ :) :clap:

12. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat, but I don't think we need another rider unless one backs out, and we have a couple others on the waiting list. I wouldn't mind running a few endurance races next year. This should be a blast, can't wait.