Airplane geeks

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I live in the flight path for Greater Cincinnati (CVG) and I've seen one fly over a few years back....

Just HUGE, only reaction is DAMMMMM!!!! :D

2. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

Had the AN-225 come into Harrisburg, PA a few years ago bringing a new containment top for Three Mile Island. There are always a few AN-124 coming in as well picking up heavy equipment from JLG lifts and cranes going to Europe and the Middle East. There were two parked on the ramp not to long ago. Big planes! Still love going past Dover at seeing the line of C-5s.

Oh and wifi on planes is pretty cool.

Todd @ FL300

3. kerns bbo

kerns bbo Well-Known Member

I havn't been next to an An-225 yet but the C-17 sure was big.

Attached Files:

• C17.JPG
      C17.JPG
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

C-17 is ok, but I think the Panzl (the one to the left of the C-17) is the best looking airplane around. I want one bad! If I get this new job I've been working on, I'll have one.

Jay

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Dude, if you can send me some suggestions, I would be ALL over that!!! I'm working on that resume today for the Charleston positions. Hoping to send those out the middle of the week. Whatever you can offer would be very helpful!

6. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Seeing the inside of an AN-124 after seeing a C-5 makes you realize how horrible a job they did ripping off Lockhead! Funny story, I had a coworker (we were C-5 loadmasters at the time) tell me the Russian crew of one let them take a tour and there was a half empty bottle of vodka in the pilot's side console.

That being said, a guy from NASA told me it's cheaper for them to contract out a civilian AN-124 than it is to use our own planes... I wasn't surprised.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yo dawg, I herd you like airplanes.. so we put a plane in yo plane so you can fly while you fly

8. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

There is a British C-17 inbound to Dulles right now. Callsign is Ascot-6673.

9. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Ok since we are on the subjects of planes I have a question. Driving home by Dulles one day I see a huge plane about to land and then it just stopped in mid-air and sat there???? I am pretty sure I am a totally retarded for not knowing they could do this ,so could someone please confirm that I am retarded and they do this all the time to wait for a clear runway, or was I just seeing things.. It was crazy just seeing a plane in mid air not moving…I think

10. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Sounds like you got hold of a bad batch of something that day. :D

11. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Thanks that confirms Im not retarded or maybe it does??

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

When you're saying it stopped before it landed, I can only assume you meant hovering. If it was a plane, the only possibilities were either a Harrier or the F-35, which hasn't been released yet. Barring those two planes, that's a bad sign if you saw that. :crackup:

13. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Optical illusion....A large plane like a C-5 in the bounce (low approaches) will look like it's stationary while it's actually traveling at 200 KIAS.

14. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Traveling along Rt28 in the same direction as the plane? Optical illusion

15. Sacko DougK

Given the fact that an airplane has to have airflow over the wings to develop lift, it would have to be either;

A) vectored thrust aircraft.....I doubt you saw an AV-8 Harrier or similar fighter

B) Tilt Rotor aircraft......I doubt it was a V-22 Osprey

C) Helicopter....you said large airplane

D) Optical Illusion....I've been in the bounce pattern with C-5's and other large aircraft and have looked at them thinking to myself, "Fucking thing is so big, it looks like he isn't even moving."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  16. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

You keep forgetting E) dammit! He was on a messed up batch of something! :D

17. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

No I was on the toll road…I will go with optical illusion…the plane was to the right of me..It was just a big passenger plane….was crazy looking though did not look like it was moving at all..

18. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

No, they can't do that. Yes, you were just seeing things (or an optical illusion). And yes, you are retarded, but I applaud your bravery in asking a question like that here. :Poke::D

19. Sacko DougK

I didn't want to dime him out...I'm hoping he'll share. :beer:

What kind of position are you looking for at Boeing? I've had similar problems with them in the past.

20. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I'm looking at Manufacturing Manager Level K, Product Integration Manager, Level K, Industrial Engineering Manager, Level K. Primarily, the basically entry level management jobs there. Trying to get a foot in the door somehow.