Can a warped frame = warped engine?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dissevered, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

Subject says it all. Got a bike with a bent frame, Runs, rides, and shifts though... is there something that could still be wrong with the engine? If I get a new frame will the engine fit, or is it possible that it wont?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

anything.. is possible. If you got a bike with a bent frame, it has likely been crashed pretty hard. So it's worth saying a 2nd time.. anything is possible. That being said (and here is some good news), it is unlikely (not impossible) the engine itself is bent. think about it, if somehow the engine was "warped".. how many times would the pistons go up n' down before they seize. i have seen lots of bent frames, never a bent motor.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Aint that the truth. As soon as you think something can't happen it does.

4. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Motorsports Photo

You will know when you take the engine bolts out and the holes dont line up.

Typically engine cases BREAK before they deform.

-SP

5. Dissevered

So really all I have to do is drop the engine and see if I can put it back in?

6. CP10R

CP10R Im here to party!!

Back in a straight frame with the mounting holes where they are supposed to be

7. Dissevered

Ok here is the deal. Guy I bought the bike from keeps insisting that it is straight, and I just need to adjust the ride height... Am I missing something here? I am always willing to shut up and learn something so I tend to second guess myself, but here are the pics and the situation.

Here is a picture of the bike with the kick stand DOWN. Notice I need a strap attached to to something to hold the bike up. Kick stand is stock, linkage is stock, rear shock is stock, forks are stock, looks like the height in the triples is good and there is around 4.5 inches of lower fork tube exposed at the bottom of the forks which I was told at the CBR forum, is good. Springs weren't cut to reduce ride height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I missing something, is there anything else that could do this?

8. Dissevered

Oh yeah, and am I correct that the only "ride height" adjustment here is the preload setting on the rear shock, which is for setting sag, not ride height...

Hell, it doesn't matter. I can put the shock on the smallest or highest preload setting and it still doesn't change anything.

9. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

The bike should be able to sit upright with the steering turned all the way to the right on a level surface, that being said, it should def. sit upright by itself with the steering straight.

Are you able to turn the key to the "lock" position with the steering turned all the way to the right and also with the steering turned all the way to the left?

Also, I can't really tell if the spring is attached from the kickstand to the frame, is it on? If it's not the kickstand could be bent inward causing it to stand too upright. The foot of the kickstand looks a little awkward

10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

If everything suspention-wise is stock and set up in stock position, is it possible the kickstand or kickstand mount is bent, or that the kickstand is not OEM for that bike?

11. Dissevered

Spring is attached properly and the kick stand is OEM. Pulled right off of a 05 600rr.

The bike does lock in left and right position. I know the PO said it was rear ended, so I am venturing to guess that the frame may have been bent in a slight V position, lowering the center and leaving the front end unharmed. However... I plan on taking the forks out today see if they are even straight.

Everything is stock, even the pre load adjuster is set to the stock setting of 3 clicks out.

12. gmd

gmd Well-Known Member

Post a picture of the whole bike in a side view. Since you said it had been rear ended, we have seen in the past where the linkage was bent. Check closely for cracks in the frame at the steering head and get the front wheel off the ground to check for freeplay in the steering head bearings. Seems like this bike needs a chassis measurment to fully get the scope of the alignment. When a bike is like this it could be stretched long, like from coming down hard from wheelies or flipping and landing on both wheels at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  13. Dissevered

PO said he put on new linkage and that it lined up fine, which makes him (even as of now) think the bike is straight and that I am retarded. Keeps telling me to adjust the ride height lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing not verified is the swing arm origin, and if the forks are straight. Does anyone know what swing arms fit in the 06 600rr frame? The PO made it it sound like it popped right in, so there definitely was no weird modding done.

Is there any part of the linkage or the swing arm that could be missing to do this? All I am aware of is the shock, link, and arm, all of which are OEM and straight. I even got a 2nd use set of OEM linkage because I thought someone just lowered it that way. Turns out they both match up identically, so its not a linkage problem.

14. Dissevered

Could someone PLEASE do me a HUGE favor and measure full extended fork and shock length, and then measure fork and shock length while the bike is on its wheels?

I know someone else's suspension might vary slightly, but if mine is close then at least I know nothing was modified with the forks/shock.

Also, when measuring wheel base, do you pull the rear axle as close to the engine as possible or is this done with a new chain at stock chain length?