Options to reduce/remove turbo lag?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rookie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

It can be done.... :up:

Or howzabout waaay, waay faster??? :D

I "crewchief" on this one, 2.5L SOHC 8V 35psi boost, no NOS:

500HP/500Ft Lbs at the wheels = 10.52 @ 138+MPH :wow:

I :bow: turbos!!

[​IMG]

2. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

As Lazarus said, it's all in exhaust flow, especially down range from the turbo itself, and turbo size. If it's a small turbo that will spool up to near boost at normal driving then it's going to have less lag.

Pulling into an entrance lane, if you rode the brakes and downshifted manually to higher engine speed, it would spool up the turbo to the point where it would be closer to boost when you did nail it. Of course, this would not be good for the brakes so it's a trade off on getting better performance.

Drop a small block Chevy, maybe a 383, into it and make sure people stay out of your way. :)

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

buy a bigger turbo, down pipe, up pipe and a cold air intake. Then piss away your warrantee. It is what it is. You bought a Regal. People in that age group don't care. Then your car will sound like my WRX and you will now hate your car :D

5. Rookie

Rookie -

Age group? 35 and under..... Should run on space fuel or some shit!!

6. Racer45

Buick does not = 35 under :D I'm sure one of my 80 year neighbors might have one:Poke:

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dont be hard one him. I heard Buick was the shizznit......

in downtown Shanghai.:D

8. Racer45

:stupid:

9. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Under partial throttle there shouldnt be any boost regardless of where the turbo spools. I've seen Hondas cruising at 4500 rpms and the turbo wasnt boosting.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I also have a wrx with about 300hp/lbft at the wheels. Full boost (18psi) at 3200rpm. I cruise at 3200rpm (damn 6spd) in 10lbs vaccume.You don't drive around in boost unless you open the throttle up then you go straight into boost and that's where you eat fuel. Opening your exhaust and a reflash will solve your problem and you could probably turn up the boost a little. Btw if you can make your Buick sound like a flat 4 with un-equal header DO IT!

^beat me to it

11. Racer45

my car has very minor boost under partial throttle, but it is still there. Stays about 0 even in the boost range when cruising, but gets there quick in WOT.

Everyone says a cold air intake "helps" it spool faster, but I didn't see it on my car. Just sounds cool :D

12. Racer45

very nice. Just had mine tuned to 18.5psi

13. DWhyte91

Stock turbo? What year?

14. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

My friend has a 2003 WRX with some work (TBE, UPP, BOV, MBC, and CAI) he said the CAI didnt do jack. LOL! When you think about it, turbo cars dont make power from the intake, they make it from the exhaust.

Man this thread makes me want to boost my G35. :(

15. Racer45

09 WRX. Stock turbo, Perrin CAI, turboxs CBE and a stage 1+ tune

16. Racer45

I had my car re-tuned after the CAI and it did make a big difference. I'll do a downpipe and no cat this summer with a new tune

17. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

What are you using to tune?

18. DWhyte91

Nice, mines an 02 with 6spd swap, evo3 16g, clutch/light flywheel, 500 injectors/fuel pump, 3"turbo back (headers next week) sti int cooler, 4pot/2pot w/stainless lines. Gettin pretty sick of maintaining it though and would REALLY like the new sti sedan.

19. Racer45

Access Port

20. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I had a 02 Sentra Spec-V with Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo, ClutchMasters stage 3 clutch, 440cc injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Protech manifold, custom 3" exhaust, modified AEM intake, FMIC, Autometer Nexus boost, egt, and oil pressure guages, tuned using a crappy SAFC though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]