Options to reduce/remove turbo lag?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rookie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Rookie

Rookie -

Specifically GM's 2.0L Ecotec turbocharged engine. But any opinion/information related to the issue of turbo lag is apreciated.

I've heard of a catless up pipe and possibly an upgraded wastegate thingy.... But unsure really. Typically if you upgrade one thing, you have to upgrade another, and so on......

2. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Stock turbo? What size is it? Generally turbo lag comes with the terrority but if you could twincharge your car the supercharger would get rid of lag as well as spraying nitrous into the intake side of the turbo.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Catless upipe helps for sure and I don't think anything else has to be upgraded for that. How bad is it? Also a reflash of the ecu (if possible)

5. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

3in exhaust w/ no cat helps it breathe better. But the only way to really reduce turbo lag is to go with a smaller turbo or NOS. Doubt you wanna go that route though and I don't suggest it. But lag just comes with the territory of a turbo'd car. It can't really be that bad though? What... like it lags up to 3000RPM and then kicks in?

6. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

:stupid: I can't imagine stock turbo being that bad. I had a T3/T4 turbo on my 2.5L Sentra Spec-V and it wasn't that bad. 265/260 @ 8psi. :beer:

7. Rookie

Rookie -

The lag is the WORST I've ever felt. Car is a stock 2011 Regal Turbo.

They say 0-60 is mid 7's. Well, it takes 6.5 seconds to get to 30mph, then BOOM, turbo!

So I was hoping for some simple ways to get a more even lag or lower RPM "flat spot" if you will. When you shift it manually (auto stick), you can control the rpm and keep it in boost, and of course the highway is awesome already. The pulling into traffic and changing lanes low-speed SUCKS!!

8. Rookie

Rookie -

Pretty much yeah. I know its a heavy car, but shit man! lol. Even my wife looked over at me when she floored it and was like, Ummmmmmmmm, thats it?!

9. Rookie

Rookie -

I'll take a look... I was told I have a de-tuned Cobalt SS engine, so maybe some of those parts will work?

10. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

So the car is a Regal? I saw them at the auto show last year, look nice. If the car is a Regal I dont know what options are out there unless you find a GM tuner that can remap some things for you. I'm still wondering what size turbo and what a/r exhaust housing it has.

11. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Things like uppipe, downpipe, etc might fit on the turbo or engine but clearances could be an issue since they were made to fit in a Cobalt and not the Regal.

12. Rookie

Rookie -

Google wont tell me what size/kind/type of turbo it has.... Though I did read an article that says GM used a very small turbo to try and get low-end power (for the city driving). Apparently this causes extreme back pressure though and limits the 220HP to 177HP at the wheels. Either way, they missed the mark and there is equal acceleration (down low) from this car as there is from an Aveo!

The non-turbo is even slower. REALLY nice car, plenty of power (just not where I want it) and it looks bad ass....

13. khill

khill Well-Known Member

ECU Flash...

14. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Yea most stock turbos are small. 220 to 177 is about a 20% power loss and is typical, especially with a turbo. My stock Sentra saw about the same. If theres alot of back pressure you can get an exhaust but you need some back pressure because thats good for torque. I dont know what else to tell you.

15. Rookie

Rookie -

Can you tell me how to make it have Corvette power?? Haha! J/K

You guys have already helped me out a bunch.

The exhaust could probably use a cat removal, perhaps more air flow and the ECU needs attention.

Who wants to do the programming???

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

On that car I wouldn't be surprised if the lag is tuned into it from the factory for some sort of fuel mileage or driveability issue. I'd bet that within a few months, if not already) there is a programmer/reflash that will take care of it. Also, are you sure it's all turbo lag and not a transmission programming issue too?

17. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Engine swap! :up: LOL!

Actually I think you should look for a new Buick Regal forum and see whats out there. I'm sure others are asking the same questions. If you have a detuned Cobalt engine maybe the software can be tweaked the same to get some results for you.

18. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

According to their website those cars get 30 mpg which is pretty good, although that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the turbo since when you are cruising you are out of boost.

This reminds me of the MazdaSpeed Protege that came out back in like 2001-2002. It was a small 4 cyl turbo that was Madzas entry into the sport compact world but it sucked and even with mods it was still slow. Very underwhelming.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Been driving/racing turbo cars since 1996 or so - more breathing is the key.

Bigger exhaust, K&N filter, reprogram/flash the ICU.

Just uncorking the exhaust will make a world of difference I'm sure. :up:

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Actually it has everything to do with the turbo (and the lag). If the turbo spooled up at 1500rpms, you'd be in the boost at cruising speed which would mean lower gas mileage. I'm certain it's a tuning/design issue. They made it that way so you'd have two cars in one - a docile cruiser and a powerful car when you mashed the gas.