1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowboard Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by bkeros, Jan 29, 2011.

1. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

I appeal to the WERA Board once again! Snowboarders...I need your advice! I'm looking to get a reasonably priced Burton board, and was wondering which one(s) to look at. I'm 6'2" / 185 lbs., and am an intermediate boarder. I don't plan on doing jumps or tricks, just cruising down the slope having a good time. I don't board that often , but am going to Park City in a couple of weeks and would rather buy than rent again. I'm sure I'll want to start tearing it up, but for right now, just looking for a good, solid board.

What size?
    Are there different stiffnesses, etc.?
    Any model stand out as a good value?

Anything else i should consider?
    :up:

2. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

I'm 6'3 185 and ride a 156 its a good overall size for all types of riding. I don't know much about Burton but o do use cartel bindings. As with everything used is cheaper I ride omatic board great rider owned company good boards. Can't really go wrong with a meium soft for a all around mountain board

3. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

Use the Burton Board Finder on their website... it will give you the best choices for your riding style. If I were you I'd go with the Custom Flying V. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 158... probably 160-162 is where you should be for you height/weight. If you don't want a "rocker" board than get a standard custom... it's a do everything board. I have a Custom X and it's a great for bombing down the mountain but is a bit stiff for goofing around much. I'd say rock a Custom until you out grow it or want to get something more specific to your style in a couple seasons.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

The Cartels are a solid binding too... never heard a bad thing about them. Custom w/Cartels would be a nice set up.

5. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

I have a Ride Decade 156 with Flow bindings. Love this setup.

6. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I have a Burton board and boots that I bought last year. I used them 1 time and I am looking to sell them. PM me if your interested. I will check the exact name on it but I know its an all mountain type board. Plus, I'm here in Ohio which is not too far from ya.

7. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

im 6'3 and ride a 159 k2 fatbob with flow bindings. Search through ebay and get a nice used setup cheap. I got a great deal on a ride mountian that i used for few seasons. You don't need a new board especially if you don't go too much

8. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

What size boots? The default answer in Burtons is to just get a Custom or Custom Wide depending on boot size, I'd go for 162 size at your weight. Can't go wrong with that board, one of the best all-around boards out there.

9. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

When I bought my last set up I concentrated on boots and bindings more than the board. Some nice comfortable boots and solid easy to get in and out of bindings are more important than a nice board in my opinion...

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I would go with something over 160cm especially if your not going to be in the park/jumping, etc. People will also recommend a longer board for big mountains and powder.

11. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

just make sure you don't get any of that step-in binding crap!

12. Shogun rr

Shogun rr body work provider

what size shoe do you wear. if a 10 or over get a mid wide board. I have ben riding never summers new mid wide rocker board. check them out. The have the best new rocker boards on the market. The nice thing about rocker boards is that you can ride them between 5-7 cm shorter and they rock in all terain even powder. I used to compete when I lived in utah and rode for burton, technine and rome snowboards. The never summer revolver is by far the best board I have ever ridden.

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

why Burton?

over priced IMO. youre paying for the Burton name...

you can get a nicer board for less money from a different brand name

14. got40

got40 On hiatus...

+1
    They have to pay shawn white. Get a nitro. I rode a libtech at Jackson hole last year I really liked too. That wavy edge thing is bs, but it was uber stiff and aggressive. Great for dropping the little stuff with. I'm too much of a pussy to do anything over 15 ft or so.

15. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I'm 6'2 205 with with size 12 boot and I ride a Burton custom I got off of eBay for pretty cheap. It's a 166 which is so much better than the 157 or 158 Ive rode. Mines not a wide but I don't have and grab problems I just had to play with the placement and angle of bindings to get the smallest amount of overhang. I can't say anything bad about my Burton set up.it's rides awesome.

16. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Guess I'm more freestyle then u guys

17. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

burton still makes some great snowboards. mostly the upper range though, which would be a bit overkill for what it seems like you need.

you want anywhere from a 160-165
    you don't want a freestyle or park board. it will be too soft
    you don't want a directional super stiff powder board either

smaller boards are better for the park and spinning and longer boards are better for going fast and keeping afloat in deep powder. you need a happy medium. basically most every company makes a good intermediate board. the burtons are a little more expensive for that category cause you are paying part of shaun's salary.

i'm assuming you'll do some riding once in a while in michigan, if that's where you live....which means don't buy a 168 super stiff powder board!

have you checked craigslist? lots of crazy deals there. find a board in your size range and do some research on the exact model and read some reviews.

otherwise, go to modern skate and surf. they will take care of you. it's good to support local retailers if buying new. don't be intimidated by younger people working there. be completely up front with them of your skill level and what you need and they'll steer you in the right direction.

nitro, lib tech, gnu, forum, ride are all good companies (as well as many others). i like to try to support a company who only makes snowboards, but with so many large companies buying up the small board companies it's hard now. salomon makes good snowboards too. i rode one in whistler that was real nice in '08.

each company has detailed info on each of their models and what they are designed for.

do your homework and you'll make out just fine.

oh yeah, and burton bindings are great. cartel is one of the best all round bindings on the market i think.

....and learn how to jump a little bit. it will help you be a better all round rider. you want to be comfortable going over bumps, etc. learn how to ollie a little. just like doing a bunny hop on a bmx bike.

18. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Great advice...all of it!

To answer some of the questions, I wear a size 10.5 / 45 boot.

I don't have to have a Burton, but was advised by a friend of mine that sold K2 boards that Burton were the best. :crackup: Also, it's really the only brand that I recognize. Shaun's a great guy I'm sure, but I don't need to pay his salary. However, if I see a Custom or Custom wide board in 160 cm+ size with cartel bindings for relatively cheap, it's clearly a good move.

I definitely plan on buying something used over Ebay / Craigslist, etc. Hotnail's got a set up I'm going to call about.

Looks like Medium wide is what I need, and yes KMC, I will be riding here in MI. That being said, a trip to Modern skate & surf is definitely in order.

In general...I'm sure much of the stuff out there is pretty good...I just want to stay away from the gimmick crap that's either prone to break, difficult to use, etc.

As far as boots....any advice on that?

19. khmersta

khmersta Active Member

the boots are the most important part of your set up. If you are feeling uncomfortable, then you will not enjoy riding. I have the Burton hail and my brother recently bought a Burton Grail and they are really comfortable. I've never tried any other boots. I've been riding for about 5 years now and I've rode a bunch of burton boards, lib tech, forum, gnu, k2. My favorite is a rocker board, the Park Pickle. I ride all mountain and I also hit the kickers and the park also. the Custom is my favorite burton board so you will be happy with it, it's very forgiving for intermediate level rider. You should make sure you don't go too cheap on the boots and it will take a day or so to break them in to be comfortable. If you local shop has a heater to help you break in the boots, those are very helpful and will break them in for you in 5 mins. Good luck on your search. BTW, I'm going to Utah this week to go riding. Heard Park City is a beast mountain with BIG parks.

20. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of gnu have owned a few and never had problems.