ohlins TTX, elka 3 way, or penske triple

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 23, 2011.

1. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Yea, honestly. Even if you go with someone/something else... you would be crazy not to at least get ahold of him.

2. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

The last time I saw Evan, he was working with an Enduro/Hare Scramble guy pretty much full time. I don't follow that kinda of stuff, but from my understanding he's like the Mat Mladin of that series. That was a couple of years ago though.

3. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

I went with Penske on my CBR.. Been VERY happy with it.

4. Transelement

Transelement pro set miner

Had an Elka for quite a while and had no riding issues with it but I must say the build quality is suspect. Had the pre-load adjustment mounting collar crack, the screw holding the pre-load adjustment knob back out, and the lower seal started seeping after a season and a half's worth of usage. On the 07+ CBR600RR they want you to hack into the hugger to make the reservoir fit. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt of being new in the road racing scene.

Small things like the above added up over time and I eventually just ditched it for the TTX which isn't THAT much more expensive than the Elka, unless Elka has come down a lot in price the last 2 years. T-Man setup the TTX and I haven't had a single issue since the switch. I'm not a good enough rider to tell you which is better performance wise, a good rider can do well on any shock.

I can only echo what others have said before about support/etc... Elka probably ranks last in that category. Just something to think about.

5. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid: why didn't I think of him? he's great!

6. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Thanks Guys!!! Emails out to all relevant parties for their help. Perhaps one day I can corner so low that I can post a youtube link and get quickly banned:)

7. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Not too long ago I upgraded from an Elka Triple to an Ohlins TTX on my GSXR600. "Upgrade" might even be an understatement.

8. Every TTX I have ever bought has come sprung for my weight at no additional charge. They asked me what I weigh when I placed the order and it showed up with the correct spring.

9. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider about with Penske and Mike H'bach. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Mike and his racing background. But, he's won many races and a FormulaUSA Championship on a Blackmans Mille R and won the MotoST Championship on a RSVR with Lloyd Brothers/ApriliaUSA. So, alot of Aprilia experience alnd a great source of knowledge for helping you beyond just taking your order.

10. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Mike H.

I have met Mike a ton of times. His dad even works on my bike when I need engine work. He is a great guy. I should've thought of him first. Now, if I could just change my username . . . . .:confused: I did that when I would've licked the grime off of the chain. I sent an email to Mike too.

11. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I've had different results with the last Öhlins shocks I bought and had to swap both valving and springs. I went from a clapped out showa with 27k miles on it to Öhlins and went from poor handling to even worse. It may have been the vendor; YMMV.
    that said, I have an Öhlins on my zx6 (it came with the bike when i bought it) & have had zero issues with it since it was setup and serviced by Markbilt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  12. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

+1 mike knows his shit. He will hook you up!

13. P 51 Jockey

P 51 Jockey Well-Known Member

Your lack of maintenance isn't really a valid claim of poor quality. I've run 2 Elkas now for a couple years, no problems. Very happy and they work great. I prefer them over my TTX.

14. I really have nothing to compare it to because I have only used Ohlins (front and rear) on every bike I have ever owned.

But my suspension has always been built/serviced/setup by either Thermosman or Kent at GMD in Atlanta and I can't complain at all.

But like they said, the most important variable is having a good tuner.

15. Bobb Shyy

Bobb Shyy Probably gonna get banned

You lucky turd!:D

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Mike was located directly behind my pit at GNF this year. He took a good amount of his time helping me out. He was there asking questions after every round, making adjustments, and providing information. Absolutley an excellent guy to have. I have worked with Mike as wel and both are great representatives for their products.

Recently I have taken ALL of my suspension work to Reuben at 35Motorsports. He works on Ohlins and Penske, and deals with GP parts. He tells you what he did, why he did it, and what it will change. Best money I have spent, bar none.