Canopies

Discussion in 'General' started by thiam1, Mar 28, 2001.

1. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

EZ-UP seems a little pricey. What do you guys/gals use? Any other suggestions? I'm not looking for a $20 WalMart canopy, but there's got to be a good-quality option somewhere between that and the $350 EZ-Up auto/moto model. Thanks for any tips.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I use a 10'x10' EZ-UP, I bought it used for $35.00. [​IMG]

3. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Thanks dude, I don't know what I'd do without your help.

4. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

I'll take it. Send it COD.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brandon

5. Tracee Polcin

On a serious note, try Wal-Mart or some store like that. They have EZ-UP's that aren't as heavy duty as the ones most people use but they will work. My buddy uses one like that and it works very well.

6. Tracee Polcin

Nobody said anything about selling one, just stating what I paid for it. [​IMG]

7. GSXRGIRL

GSXRGIRL Guest

Go to Sams or a store like that. I got mine at Sams for $125...it's a 10 x 10. We also have another smaller tent that we got from a sporting goods place for like $80. It's just not as easy to put up as the ez-up. [​IMG]

8. dave_432

dave_432 Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't get one of the cheap EZ-Up's. I bought one of the cheap blue dome 10X10 EZ-Up's early last season. It lasted 2 wekeends before it started cracking the plastic parts, and was so broken by the end of the season I'm surprised it works at all. It was about $120 and was a complete waste. (The pyramid 10X10 EZ-up's look OK, but I think those are about $200.)

I've since picked up a 12 X 20 holiday canopy which has been great. I was worried that it would take too long to set up and tear down, but it's not big deal - and I don't see this one ever breaking.

-Dave

9. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Look at the top of the page. There's this logo lookin' thing. Sez "Holiday Canopies". Put your pointer thingy on that dealy and click the button. That'll help ya [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have an el cheapo Wally World EZ UP. It was less than $100 and gives two people shade.

10. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

I bought my 10x20 (not an EZ-UP) at Sam's for $150. It's nice and big and even came with a detatchable wall with 3 clear windows. The only drawback is that it doesn't fold up small and uses about 22 galvenized steel poles. But did I mention it was big?

Sam's also sells a 10x10 EZ-UP for about $198.

11. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

Ok then brother Thiam, i don't know what snake oil salesman is distibuting canopies in the south east, but here in the lone star state Acadamy has 10x16 EzUp's for about $150 give or take a buck when they are on sale.(which is weekly) I think Holiday canopies you have to supply your own tubing.
    Now the question is whether or not you guys have an acadamy(sports store) I'll keep my eyes open, if i find a killer deal I'll let you know.

12. NewRacer

does this mean you will mail it out tomorrow? gee thanks Mister... [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. NewRacer

this is a good one? easy to put up? Think I will make a little trip and see what I can find.

[This message has been edited by NewRacer (edited 03-28-2001).]

14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I had a 10x20 canopy ... at least that is how it started. Though not purchased from Holiday, it is of similar design, using metal conduit poles and supplied corner pieces.

I really like this design ... yes, it's a hassle putting up and tearing down. However, most all "Not-EZ-Up's" tear up just after a few uses ... and to fold effectively, it takes four folks. Since I usually traveled solo while racing, this was an issue. In addition, the inexpensive EZ's use a cheap material that does not wear well.

The Holiday style is also adaptable. With just a few additional corner pieces (purchased from Holiday), covers, and metal poles, I now have three possible capopy sizes ... 10x16, 16x20, and a massive 16x30. I doubt I'll ever use the 16x30 config, but if I need it, it will be there.

The Holiday style canopies can be easily replaced ... and available at places like Home Depot and Northern Supply.

I bought my original canopy in 1993 ... I doubt there is a EZ Up that has lasted as long.

Another great thing to have is artifical turf. Helps keep the pit area clear of sand (Roebling, CMP), and cooler when on pavement. Buy the cheapest stuff Home Depot has, and it will last a long time. Biggest hassle with the turf is if it gets wet, it gets heavy.

15. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

There used to be an EZ-UP at the warehouse clubs for $179... it's the regular 10x10 but doesn't have the real heavy fabric as found on their other ones and isn't powdercoated (I have one). On their website, it's now listed at $279 (The "Express II") and has a powercoated frame. I would assume this will make it to the warehouse clubs for around $200 - $220.

You can also usually find a knock-off called... "EZ-Shelter" or something like that for ~ $180. The only real difference is that the canopy isn't bolted to the top and has to be folded seperatly.

- Roach

16. RICKY LOVE

RICKY LOVE Well-Known Member

I bought one at a Wal-Mart type store.$150 10x20, galvanized poles and connectors, heavy duty top. Takes 15 to 20 to put up; less if you have help and use a paint marker to label your connections 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and so on. Comes with stakes etc. to stake down or use gallon jugs filled with water or sand to hold it down in the wind if at a location that wouldn't like stakes in their asphalt. [​IMG] My $.02 worth.

[This message has been edited by RICKY LOVE (edited 03-28-2001).]

17. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I've got one of the cheezy walmart canopies that come in a rectangular nylon bag. Its the kind with a zillion 2 ft white painted pole sections and plastic connectors. I've used it about a dozen times in 2 years and it's held togeather pretty well. Its the 6x8, just big enough to provide shade for one bike and the back of a pickup. For under $30 its good enough for an occasional racer like me.

18. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I have a 10x10 from Sams's club. EZ Up with sides. I paid around 175 for it I believe and well worth it.

19. rgv777

rgv777 Well-Known Member

I have decided not to buy one, I'm just gonna pit with Richard and the "Team with no name"
    [​IMG]

20. NewRacer

Nobody needs one now, just let Rick get there first!!!!!

[​IMG]