1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone use TurboTax?

Discussion in 'General' started by krod524, Jan 14, 2011.

1. krod524

krod524 Well-Known Member

The reason I ask is I go to the same tax person year after year, never get a return, and she charges $160.00. :down:

Although, I don't have enough write-offs vs. my salary (single/no dependents.)

TurboTax is less than half that price. Is it easy to use??:confused:

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Way easy. I have used it the last few years, and it stores your info from year to year. Our business opens March 1st so this will be my last year of doing it the easy way.

3. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Yes, very easy to use...:up:

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've used it for years and love it. If you're good at keeping your numbers straight, it really isn't bad at all. Also depends on how much you want to itemize deductions and such. I have a residential design company and it works really well for it.

5. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Super easy to use. Been using it the last 3 years and don't know why I didn't start using it sooner.

6. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

Doesn't get any easier...if you have minimal deductions you can literally finish in 15-20 minutes. They cover any errors assuming you do your part and be honest/double check your input.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Been using it for years abnd will continue.

8. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

i've been using taxslayer since 03. They allow military personel to file for free. And it's only 10 bucks to use them for the non military.

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I use Turbo Tax, easy to use, and you can bet its probably the same software or at least the same basis accounting and tax software that your tax preparer is using anyway.

10. krod524

Thanks for the fast responses!

If using TurboTax, must you buy a new version every year? (Because of new tax laws and tax tables/schedules, etc.)

11. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

Yes you must purchase a new version every year. Intuit's gotta eat too, ya know.
    Unless you use the free online version to file (I never have).

12. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Turbo Tax is super easy to use and, do I dare say, kinda fun to use. Does all the calculations for you instantly.

If you're a single, W-2 guy with no kids, piece of cake.

Do it and you'll never look back.

13. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I believe Intuit sends you free state software every year with the expectation you'll buy the federal. Maybe I have that backwards.

14. krod524

One last question:

My tax person DOES plug in deductions for working at home...(I work from my home office for my company.)

Will I see "work-from-home deductions" for such? I reckon so. I make too much for "short form."

By the way you taxpayers, DO NOT move to California if you aren't already here.

15. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

Absolutely yes. The program will ask you about deductions you might wish to take, standard vs. itemized; if itemized then precisely what kind and so on. I itemized the last few years and its only taken maybe an hour and a quarter. So long as you have all of your receipts in order and at hand (it sounds like you do) it should be no big deal.

16. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Why you say that?

Any who, I've been using TT since the early '90s when it was still a DOS program. It has gotten better and better year after year to the degree if you haven't had any major changes in your life since the previous year (moved, job changes, deductions...etc) doing simple taxes takes less time then installing the software. :D

17. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

And even better it'll tell you which way is better (standard vs itemized).

I use it and we have a small home business and it does everything together.

18. krod524

Thanks again everyone.

From the sound of it, though you were all too polite to say, it has become painfully apparent that I have been getting FUCKED over by my tax lady for years.

Well, not this year bitch. :tut:

I be using TurboTax and sending it in April 15th, like always. :up:

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That's what I like about it. The comparisons it does.

My only complaint is it can be very confusing if you do mess up. Not very user friendly for finding errors and making corrections but it has improved every year.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

After you use it once, it gets easier as it will import the previous year data and save you a lot of typing.