1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rd350 vs. Cb350

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by BryantR, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Bryant:
    I'm a two-stroke guy, but either way you go you will have fun. The RD is better handling, has better brakes, and is faster but requires a bit more attention. Cost of preparation is about the same for both bikes. I will tell yu that RD400racer is way off on the price of Avon race tires. $435 for race compounds delivered to your door. That is for either bike. They will last an entire season, maybe a bit more, but they aren't $200. Haven't been for years. (Maybe Avon street tires can be had for that price, but not race compounds.)
    Lyn Garland

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Sorry Lyn, it has been a while since I bought Avon's (1997). Had no idea of the price increase. And for all I know those were street compound.

Listen to Lyn, he's the man when it comes to 2 strokes:up:

3. charles

charles The Transporter

That's right, he is, and if you want to get squared away in what it really takes to build and maintain a decent RD350 or 400 racebike, then talk to Lyn. Getting the bike is step one, what follows- the proper setup- is critical. And then there is maintenance. Lyn knows... been there, done that.

4. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

I'm definitely leaning towards getting both since all the honda needs is a front tire. Guess I need to start reading as much as possible about two strokes as possible since I've never owned one. something i didn't see in the rulebook was removal of the oil delivery system. Is it legal to remove it and just premix in v2?

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Send me a PM and I'll give you some details to assist you.

6. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

By the way thanks again for all the advice everyone and anything else you all would like to share would be appreciated...Im taking notes.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Bryant,
    Go ahead and call Charles. He can give you enough info for several notebooks, but don't let him fill your head with nonsense. Also don't agree to meet him anywhere "private" or at night.

Trust me,
    Ken

8. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

BryantR - you have hooked up with Mike Wells, at the spiritual center of the Kentucky Wrecking Crew (Mike Wells Racing), haven't you?

Looking forward to meeting and seeing you on the track.

Chuck
    Kentucky Wrecking Crew, Southern division

9. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Chuck, I have. Got some jets and tires from Mike for a CB750 project I was working on a few years ago. I've been in recently asking for advice. Just dont want to take up too much of his time. Its always nice going in there even if its just to look around.

10. Bill 306

Bill 306 Flying Scotsman

Buy the Honda...... I should know....it is ready to race with nothing to do to it. Then after racing for a year you will have decided what class you want to run in. Then buy another bike. Just keeping one race bike running will be enough to deal with never mind two.

Here is a pic of the CB350 in its normal position.

[​IMG]

I wonder who that is behind me ?

11. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Bill, looks like I'm going to try to get your old Honda. I wondered if you had read this haha.

Kelly, thanks for meeting at the game. How did it finish? I had to leave with 4 minutes to go in the second period. It was 5-3 then. Saw some kids hustling pretty hard out there!

In Yamaha news looks like I'm getting the RD350 and doing what I can to it. Sounds like a good idea since I won't be in any rush to get it together and I can keep an eye on ebay for parts and get some good deals hopefully.

12. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Bryant:
    If you have any questions on the RD give me a shout: [email protected].
    Lyn Garland

13. rd400racer

Bryant, really nice to meet you last night. It's good to see a young guy taking interest in our part of the sport. You will find many people willing to help you in your endevour.

Well, we had them at 6-3 with 7 minutes to go and instead of playing a conservative game our guys had to go deep looking for another goal and we ended up with a bunch of odd man rushes. They ended up tying the game at 6-6 with a minute to go, and that's how it ended.

Hope you enjoyed a little hockey.

Now if you want to see a real bloodbath, U of L plays U of K at midnight tonight. U of L is Division 3 and U of K is Division 2. Last time they played the score was 18-2 U of K. And my son is one of U of L's goalies, so he will see some shots tonight!

Take care, Kelly

14. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

I think I've seen that pic. Bill Dogood, doin good. Poor Steve's gonna be seein' that the rest of his life...............Good solid bike. Get rid of some weight, get a front brake that works and have fun..........:up:

15. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Whayne should know, he gave that bike one hellva ride at Nashville last fall.

Doogood, it's on... You are lucky I do not have acess to my laptop right now....be afraid, very afraid bug killer.

16. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I've got pix of that bike with Bill in a different scenario...
    [​IMG]
    Bill as a rookie getting BBG (beat by a girl) - our friend Miss Caroline leading

He did reaffirm his manhood later....
    [​IMG]

17. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

if i knew how to build a bad ass two-stroke...

i'd still buy the CB instead :D

that being said tho', those CB guys are idgits.

18. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Ha! Looks like Bill is riding two up in that first picture.

19. BryantR

BryantR Active Member

Lyn, I'll definitely take you up on that. Going to get my notes organized a bit better before I do though. Charles has sent me a few really helpful emails.

Kelly, I might take my girlfriend to watch the game tonight.
    I see how you guys are...better make sure I don't find myself getting passed by women and if(when) I do I better do it at a part of the track where there's no camera man. Haha.

20. rd400racer

Bryant, the crowd last night was pretty tame. I have heard that those U of K midnight games are pure madness. The place will be totally packed with drunk students screaming. Just giving you a heads up!