Chip Yates electric bike racing the gas guzzlers

Discussion in 'General' started by IrocRob, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Or maybe blasting out flight of the valkyries.

Dunt da dah dunt!

shoot, I'll settle for the flight of the bumblebee.

2. sdg

sdg *

:up::up::up:

Nice Job Chip!

3. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Cool to see it out there, but F2 or F1 would be more appropriate, given the level of suspension and chassis tech he's allowed to play with. Not to mention I'd be happy if the twins classes were for just... Twins.

4. ....and triples? :D

But i see the point you are making.

5. caferace

caferace No.

<loadedquestion>Would you guys be saying the same thing if the bike had been slow?</loadedquestion>

:D

-jim

6. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Yes. It's a twins class, so get it out. The 675 has plenty of other classes it can be competitive in. The rule was added to accommodate the big bore triples because they were crap, and needed a place to play. The 675 is not crap.

Accept for Rosey. He can ride whatever he wants, in whatever classes he wants, with as many bubbles as he wants.

IMHO.

7. IBdesmo

IBdesmo Active Member

Oh yeah! :rock:

8. mreish

mreish Junior Human Stink Beast

I've been building electric motorcycles for a few years now just at the hobbyist level and it feels good to see Chip take it to the next level.

Now, if I may gloat for a bit...

Okay, I'm done gloating.

9. 178SV

178SV now retired...

So it's not a threat to any legitimate Heavy Weight Twin no matter what his calipers cost. So let him run it.

10. I ride a 675 and i agree, they are not crap. But stock-for-stock, they will not run with the R6's etc. I think the Twins classes are a good place for the 675's to play.

It makes the Twins classes a lil bigger and brings some variety into them.

I have a Duc and i can't see somebody on a Duc complaining about a 675 being in the same class.

11. pushystone

pushystone Well-Known Member

And the result is?
    (how much money did you bet?)

12. IBdesmo

IBdesmo Active Member

Tell that to third place who is the 2010 class champion. I would say that he is quite legitimate.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

How long till he has the KIRS dialed in well enough that he can toss the currnt lone front caliper?

14. 178SV

178SV now retired...

He's a legit rider, and my good friend, but he's on a 70hp SV riding up a class because the grid is lighter than F2. Don't you think Chip riding an 848, 999, 1098, or 1198 in SS trim would have beat him? :)

15. caferace

caferace No.

I'd say if James Randolph runs all the West rounds, your friend may have to settle for second. ;)
    or build an electric bike that is class appropriate. :-D

-jim

16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

His lap time is nowhere near (yet) what HWTW should be doing :)
    It is LWTW time.

17. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Got to love that video on RRW. Post more please. :clap:

Way to go Mr. Yates.....:up: :bow:

You need a pilot....give me a call...:crackup:

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

OK, I am an idiot. That bike doesn't have gears?

19. sdg

sdg *

Don't know their control system, but its pretty easy to do constant torque variable speed on an AC motor.

20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I know - watching the video I kept waiting, and waiting for him to shift gears! The first few times I was thinking "Jesus, how tall is the gearing on that thing?" and then the proverbial light bulb went off and I figured out he has some form of CVT or automatic tranny on that thing.

Article states that he forfeited his points as not to interfere with gas engined racers - seems like a pretty classy move on his part.