Truck Tranny/Transfer case help?

Discussion in 'General' started by Femmekat, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

Update:
    I had the truck towed to the 4x4 shop. The first shop ended up charging me only for the parts, not the labor on the clutch. I had the 4x4 guy take a look at the clutch that was pulled, and he said that it wasn't unreasonable to have replaced it, but by no means was it toast or the main problem. He thought I could have easily gotten another 15,000 miles out of it and if they knew anything about what they were doing they would have diagnosed rather than throwing parts at it in search of a fix.

He will diagnose the truck Monday so I should know more by next week. Also, the first shop left the viewing plate off the tranny... so I have to retrieve it from them. Grrr.

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This happens on my semis at work at least twice a year.

Fuckin drives me nuts. There's some shitty mechanics out there. I'm surprised more people don't get killed from trailer wheels falling off and whatnot.

3. kawi cal

kawi cal Well-Known Member

you could have the vin# ran at a dealer they can tell what trasfer case is in there

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Or you could do it with a Hollander but there is a used case in there.

5. kawi cal

true its a used case,but must have replaced original.

6. Putter

Just because it's a 1356/4407 doesn't mean they are the same inside.

7. kawi cal

not trying to start any thing ,was just saying if they replaced the original trasfercase by tag #.the vin would lead you back to the original tag #

8. Putter

Yep, totally agree. I've seen some weird crap though.

9. kawi cal

so have i

10. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

The first shop actually called several dealers...and for some reason they couldn't tell them what transfer case was in there from the vin #, some crap about it being an "older" truck.

I have been trying to find out what transfer case was put in used 2 years ago, but have had a helluva time tracking the guy down.

I agree that whatever is in there now, isn't neccessarily what was in there 2 years ago. supposedly, as long as the threads match up its no big deal.

11. Putter

Holy crap. :D

Uh, no.

12. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

No to which part?
    All I'm saying is that people swap out transfer cases all the time... and do swaps.
    I was told by the 4x4 shop that if a different transfer case had been put in, at some point in the past, there would not be any damage and that the important thing is that everything matches up. The difference in ratio would only be noticed in 4wd, and it would be barely discernable.

13. Putter

The only way to replace driveline parts is with an exact match.

14. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

Then explain why some 7.3 L '96 F350 4x4 powerstrokes have a 1356 transfer case, and some have a 4407?

15. kawi cal

i agree with putter,you need to find that guy,you need to now what was done

16. Putter

Because the rest of the driveline matches that case. Different GVW, suspension options, towing options, where it was built, manual or auto trans, wheel size, all determine what is under your truck.

17. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I would think finding out what has actually failed is more important.After all the replacement worked for at least 2 years

18. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

sounds like time to buy a new truck :(

20. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

:up:

I agree. Its in their hands now. I'll have an update on Monday. The shop owner does all the work himself, and I thought he seemed very capable.