Should Twain be editted/censored?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Spyderchick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm gonna take you to SC and introduce you to some geechee. :D

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Go to Gullah Gullah Island and visit Benya Benya.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Then again, we're talking about a guy who would actually pay to see Barry Manilow. It don't get no whiter.:Poke:

:D

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

H8R, this NT translation is for you:

5. Trikky74

Trikky74 Well-Known Member

Root, in language, refers to the starting point.

Greek is considered to be a major influence on todays English.

Here.

6. Trikky74

Just an incredible post Sir, but please allow me to retort.

During the period of slavery the colonization of Africa had yet to happen.

As such the river wasn't named Niger, since, well, English wasn't the dominant language, you following me so far?

As such the river and, well, all of Africa had distinctly different languages as such I doubt the name of the area was the "Niger basin", ok?

Now since slavery predates colonization, by oh, 150-200 years, I think it is safe to assume that being the case Orvis' argument is flawed.

Now why do I care you may ask, as a few have said it is irrelevant to current events where the word originated right?

Problem, as I see it is simple; you have Orvis telling us all that "Nigger" wasn't a bad word in its inception, which is so clearly fucking ludicrous its laughable.

Then you have Orvis claiming that his experience, because well, he is old and shit, should count as some sort of cosmic tie break, it doesn't.

Then to top it all off you have Orvis coming off with "White people didn't know what to call Black people so they called them Nigger after the lovely Niger Basin of Africa". Now since any of you can look up on the internet and see just when the Niger Basin was originally named that, in a language that translates too English that argument gets a bit crunched.

Forgot about that the fact that Nigeria wasn't even called Nigeria until 1914, or that the "Niger Trading Company" wasn't formed until 1885, both of which I think are well past slavery, even with my simple Canadian education, forget all of that and what becomes relevant?

As for his rant at look at Nigeria blah blah blah, since Nigeria was formed in 1914 and slavery occurred from 1676 to around 1865 is it his, and your, contention that the word nigger was not uttered in America until after 1885?

As for your web link while I find it interesting reading I tend to not put a whole lot of faith into random web pages, if its ok with you I would like to lean on my education.

Cheers

A guy I have come to enjoy reading is so out of touch with reality that he actually thinks that Nigger wasn't an offensive word, cause well niggers told his daddy as much, Nigger isn't an offensive word now, since all those damn black guys say it, and even if it was somehow a bad word it just means river.

So I guess the last argument would rest on how the actual African of the time pronounced that area, and how close it sounds to "Nigger" to be plausible, who knows, as you pointed out I wasn't there.
    Seriously?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Try to focus Ticky Dicky, I provided cites that indicate the root of Niger and Nigeria may well have been non-european.

I did not and will not contend the word nigger was not used until after 1885. I further do not contend it was ever anything other than demeaning until African-Americans siezed the word for their own in the mid to late 1960's.

That said I will contend that much of the usage of said word was not uttered with the malice attached in today's society. Is the use in any setting proper? Not if you are of another race. Most people I knew that used nigger, niggra, negro and colored ceased when they were made aware of the hurt attached to usage. The people that continued I have not associated with decades. I have heard it spoken as vernacular and with hate. Believe me, it is easy to tell the difference.

Context is important, and I think that is what Orvis is trying to point out. Die in a fire would not generally be acceptable in most social settings. However, here it can be relatively benign in certain instances, not so much in other. If I tell PC to die in a fire, it is spoken without a large degree of malice. I have met and respect him. If I say the same to you, it is based on your short time here in which your seem to have issues with fluid facts, attitude and focus.

DIAF.

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I have to pass right by your place on my way to the concert.

I'll get you a ticket and you can ride with Mrs. Dits and me. :D

9. Trikky74

Hi,

I enjoyed your post, it was well written and I appreciate the time and effort.

If I have somehow offended you in my short time here I apologize, I enjoy arguing, I think it keeps the brain nimble.

As for your contextual argument, I can say, with unmitigated certainty, you are full of shit. Orvis had so many opportunities to walk away from his obviously racist pandering its not even funny. He instead chose to defend said pandering with some whimsical shit about Blacks making the word up themselves and it not being offensive.

Now I'm not saying I'm repulsed that you would choose to side with Orvis, just a bit disappointed. I never impugned or read into anything, I didn't have to. The man gets his facts off the internet in a way designed to support his points, and lets face it, its not like he has a stellar history here regarding his view of racial matters.

Cheers

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As you were a non-participant in my life, I disagree. BTW, please note the bold text. It is your incessant use of this and similar phrases that allow me to declare, with all possible due respect, GFY.

11. Trikky74

Look, does it matter that out of my whole post you latch onto 3 words (full of shit)? Fine, Orvis is not a blathering racist, you are not defending him like some kind of modern day Galahad, and if I only would cease the ad hominem attacks my points would be received better.

Does that change any of the points I made? Does it make any of my points less germane? You chose to focus on your dislike of me and the way I post, while genuflecting to Orvis and his view of etymology and race relations circa BFE Texas early 20th century, ok I get the point.

Still doesn't make me wrong, and him right, and you above the fray. I don't fuck myself, Mrs. Trikky fucks me just fine, but thanks,

Jeers

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Enjoy, don't leave a mess.

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I love the internet. You don't know the facts, you can just make shit up. :D

14. Trikky74

I was amending my post, and I needed a saver so no one would steal my spot underneath you,

Cheers

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I latched onto the part where you, without any knoledge declare me to be full of shit. I don't know if Orvis is a blathering racist or not. I only know what I related and that your google searches cannot and do not convey context, emotion or knowledge of the individuals involved.

As for the etymology, I searched and found INDEPENDENT references that indicate the origins of the Names of two countries in Africa may well have African roots. I wasn't there so I cannot declare either source to be 100% accurate and neither can you.

Your attacks are not limited to me or this thread. Facts seem to be situational for you depending on the argument you are trying to make, even on the same subject. This observation is not limited to me.

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I just hope 'bitches' is a protected word because I plan to continue to use it.

You guys are some bitches.

I'm just here because this thread lacked color(ed people). :D

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it was based on the content of your post. :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He doesn't know me as well as you.:D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, Trikky wore out his welcome. Maybe next month he'll lean to discuss without being an ass about it.

20. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I must admit that I haven't read the first seven pages...

Is this thread about her?

[​IMG]

Just trying to provide a little levity here. :D