Should Twain be editted/censored?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Spyderchick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kaffir, yeap. Rhodesia, South Africa and the "independent states" of South africa. Thrown around a bit in Congo and the beligian colonies were white mercs from Belgium, SA and Rhodesia were in play.

It's now a word that'll get you a Necklacing.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

A whole nother topic. Words like goin', stayin' are a direct result of the African influence on the English language. Ignorant teachers mistook dropping the "g" for laziness when in fact that "oin" sound is common in African dialects. Hence it has bled through since the slave trade.

Back to our original program.:up:

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Evenin' ya'll. This motherf@ckin' thread is deliverin the goods, yo!

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Toe, quit trying to ghetto shit up. You're more cracker ass than me and I'm a cracker ass cracker white boy. :D

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You ever talk to him on the phone? Fuggin hilljack! :crackup:

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:D

I was going for the Alice Cooper in Wayne's World vibe with that post. Seems I missed.

7. Trikky74

Trikky74 Well-Known Member

Sure thing, we have a bunch of words that we can thank the slave trade for, nigger however does have its "root" in the African dialects.

My point was trying to make it look as though the word "Nigger" was a derivative of a word that wouldn't exist in Africa for another 200-300 years was stupid.

Arguing that the word was not intended to be offensive is insane.

Arguing that American didn't know what to call Africans (<---- fucking seriously) before the term nigger was thrown about, puts you out there like fucking Pluto.

Just saying

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trikky, I honestly don't care where "nigger" came from. I remember hearing it often growing up from people who wouldn't even say so much as "damn" for fear of offending God. To me, the root of the word is mostly moot.

Not jumping on ya', just pointing out that this cracker ass cracker doesn't really care. :D

Oh, it's a word that makes me sick to my stomach but it's a word that can't be PCed away.

9. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

If he's Pluto, Uranus.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think I dislike the word "discharge" the most. I mean seriously, when is that word ever the bearer of good tidings?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I discharged my 1911A1 7 times and wiped out an entire human wave attack of Tailiban.

That doesn't suck. :D

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Are you so fucked up that you don't know how to read some history?

READ ABOUT NIGERIA. READ ABOUT THE NIGER RIVER AREA OF AFRICA.

Jesus, can't you understand what people are telling you? That's where many of the earliest slaves came from. Read about it and how the word nigger came about.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

:) I win. :up:

Ok, I'll try to explain this one more time. To start with, I really don't give a rats ass if you've had about all of me that you can stand or not. You don't really have much importance in my life and most likely never will.

If you will read the linked passage about the Niger river you will see that it has been called many names by many different people. It doesn't matter however, what the native people of Africa called it. The name is only important in that it created a reason for the people of the US to mispronounce where the slaves from that area came from. Being that we here in the US were not all that educated ourselves, the people of this country called the slaves niggers instead of Nigerians, Just like you would call groups of people from Georgia "Georgians." It's that simple.

Etymology
    Niger river at Kulikoro
    Niger river at Kulikoro

The origin of the name Niger is unknown. It is often assumed that it derives from the Latin word for "black," Niger, but there is no evidence for this, and it would have been more likely for Portuguese explorers to have used their own word, negro or preto, as they did elsewhere in the world. In any case the Niger is not a black water river.

The name is thus thought to be indigenous, but no convincing origin has been found among the thirty languages of the Niger delta and lower reaches of the river. One hypothesis is that it comes from the Tuareg phrase gher n gheren ("river of rivers," shortened to ngher), originating in the middle reaches of the river around Timbuktu.

The nations of Nigeria and Niger are named after the river. The people who live along it have a variety of names for it, notably Jeliba in Manding, Isa Ber ("big river" in Songhay), Joliba (a Mandigo word meaning “great river”), and Kworra or Quorra. The Niger was known in its lower reaches by the last name before its identity with the upper river was established. The Romans had heard of the Niger and called it Dasibari.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Niger_River

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

English rooted in Greek? You're not serious are you? Some words yes, but definitely not "rooted."

I'm still with the you on the origins of the term "nigger" though. To assume it wasn't a bastardization of Spanish and Portuguese is putting your head in the sand for the sake of argument. Keep in mind, those are the people who brought Africans to the new world in the first place. We picked that trick up in what is now the U.S. much, much later.

15. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

It's a word...it has no power over you that you don't choose to give it....what's next...slavery will be referred to as those who were 'freedom challenged'?

This is just more politically correct bull shit...

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Interesting. I did not know that. :up:

17. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Edit my shit then you really can't figure it out. That'll teach ya!

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Not buying it.

Direct importing of African slaves into what is now the continental US came to a near halt prior to the American Revolution. It came to a legal halt shortly thereafter. Most of the slaves that were brought into what is now the US came from the West Indies and they had been there for several generations prior. Thus, at this point, the African languages are probably 400 years + displaced for the most part. I'm sure there's some influence, but I question whether there was that much African influence on the language as we hear it today.

The stereotypical black-cadence of speech and the white-southern dialect are both nearly the same if you listen to them closely. It's a nice hodge-podge of "black in America" mixed in with Scottish and Irish immigrant accents... Y'all. That pattern of speech is purely American.

(There are similar parallels in the music world as well.)

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I watched Roots... I know what the hell is up with this slavery stuff. :D

RIP Charles Haley(SP?) :(

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Consider yourself corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_River

You know you really should make an effort not to be such a dick. You weren't there, I was not there, there are conflicting accounts. Not everything is eurocentric.