1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend wrecks friend’s bike

Discussion in 'General' started by GTP, Dec 17, 2010.

1. GTP

GTP Well-Known Member

OK, here goes… I’ve been lurking here for the past several years but am now in need of the sage advice that only this forum can provide. I just received a call from a co-worker who was “watching” another co-worker’s 2009 R1 while he is in Malaysia on a trip with his girlfriend. The gentleman watching the bike took it out on a cold morning, lost the rear and dumped it, sending it sliding down the road. The bike’s a mess but likely repairable. I asked him if it tumbled or hit anything and he said “no”. Nevertheless, he wanted to know what he can do while the bike’s owner is away (He’s not getting back until Dec 28th). Firstly, I told him to take the high road and pay for the repairs out of pocket.

Then the issue of insurance came up. He said the bike owner’s insurance would cover the damage not his. I then asked him if he still had bike insurance and the answer was “no”. There was no police report. I mentioned that it would be bogus to put the wreck on the owner’s insurance since he would get hit with the premium increase in the long run. I then told him to get it to a shop to get an estimate done on the damage. I figure no shop will do work without the consent of the bike’s owner but he should at least be able to get an estimate done. This way he can be prepared with the money once his friend comes back from his vacation. I also told him to have the chassis alignment checked since you never know what happened while it slid down the road.

The incident happed in Sacramento, CA.

My questions for you all are thus:

Does the insurance really follow the vehicle, or the rider?

How might a dealer (or another shop) react if a bloke comes in with somebody else’s bike asking for an estimate for repairs claiming the bike’s owner in on vacation in Asia?

Would a shop be willing to start work on a bike without the owner’s consent even if the person bringing it in had money to pay?

Would you call the police?

Are there any good shops in Sacramento that can do this work?

Lastly, how strict are you on letting others ride your bike? Personally, I’m a prick about it for exactly the reason demonstrated here.

Thank you

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

the guy that wrecked it should pay to have it fixed. plain and simple

3. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

It's hard to say without knowing the estimate. $400 to $900 bucks yea fix the bike. If it's more than that I can't blame the owner, if he wants a new bike.

4. RedEIKO0713

RedEIKO0713 you like noodles? fapfap

Agreed, that riding "friend" should not have got on the bike if he didn't understand he pays what he breaks. I would say this is understood but even when I let friends ride my toys I clarify. RIDING FRIEND PAYS FULL

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

yep. friend pays full, whatever the owner decides he wants to do. i had a buddys sled out and hit a tree (he was with me on another)...i just took a deep breath and said, whatever you want done, let me know and i'll do it. i bought the new parts, helped do the repairs and lesson learned...dont hit tree's lol.

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My friends and I ride each others bikes rather often. In fact I commuted on my good friends street bike for a week + while I was in between cars. We always had an agreement, if one breaks something, he pays for parts needed and we all have an excuse to drink beers and fix the shit ourselves on weekends... granted it's all good friends we are talking about. And it never came down to anything serious.

Also, it's nice to get a permission to take someone else's bike out before putting a helmet on.

7. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

so dudes on vacation with his girl, his buddy has access to his bike and basically steals the shit for a joy ride and now wants his buddy to come home and throw it on his insurance? Was he okay with him even riding the bike? When we rode the street and someone wanted to ride my bike it was known, if it hits the deck you just bought a crashed bike. A street bike thats mint is garbage after a wreck, it'll never be the same. They could make it a race bike:D

8. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

It would be nice to think the dude who fucks up and runs out of talent would pay for the crash damage but in my life time of about ten or so "friends" crashing my shit only one actually stepped up to the plate. (Thanks Chip!). Some paid a couple bucks for parts others I never saw or spoke to again.

As for the insurance on this bike, if the bike is actually insured then there is coverage no matter who was ridding it unless the rider was specifically excluded from the policy. My advice is for the owner to make the insurance claim. Tell the insurance company exactly what happened, who was riding it and the claim will go smooth as butter. Start laying on the bullshit and plan on getting a pipe up the ass from the insurance company. These days the Insurance companies don't fuck around when it comes to fraudulent claims reporting.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1....that's what insurance is for, he should use it. IF the premiums increase, have the buddy pay the difference.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I was there for that! Chip is a good dooode.
    Your friend should pay for his mistake. Plain and simple. That's what friends do. If I were you I would question his loyalty to you.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

The whole story sounds shaky to me. What kind of friend would push off repair of a bike he wrecked on another's insurance. I'm pretty sure the insurance is for the person who purchased the policy. Smells like fraud. I agree with the above that the friend just bought himself a wrecked R-1 and owes his buddy a new bike of choice up to and including a R-1.

12. scotth

scotth Banned

Of all the times I've taken a car/truck/bike/lawnmower/significant other to a shop, I've never had anyone ask me to prove it belonged to me.

The 'friend' should take the bike in, beg them to repair it by Christmas, then present the repaired bike to the owner and apologize.

If my 'friend' wrecked my bike then said my insurance would cover it, we wouldn't be friends anymore.

13. motoford

motoford Well-Known Member

If your friend had permission to ride the bike, then the buddy should work with him on the insurance claim. If he was not supposed to be riding it then he needs to become the proud owner of an almost new slightly bent R1.

14. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

i agree with this guy:up:

15. KillaR6

KillaR6 I'm Going to be a DAD!

Your friend should just tell the owner the truth and own up to the responsibilities. No shop will bend over backwards to get the bike fixed in a week especially parts still needs to be ordered. Get it estimated and email the total to the owner asap and the longer he waits the more problem it creates since it's looking like he didn't give a shit. Reassure the owner that every penny will be given for the repairs so, at least you won't ruin his vacation too. Shit happens and it takes a real man/friend to own up. Good luck to your shit head friend!

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What a SHithead...

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Friend wrecks bike, friend pays for damage. End of story.

18. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

I need more friends like you Dave....:up:

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pete, That's why even if you offered, I wouldn't ride one of your bikes. Can't afford to replace it. :D

20. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Stop right now. I hate thinking of you as being sensible. :Poke:

Oh yeah, and +1