Sumo moto warmers?

Discussion in 'General' started by RickJohnson#29, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ginness72

ginness72 Well-Known Member

oh! i payed like $270 + shipping for mine.In the end woodcrafts are not that much more $

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i was just at the dealer show at Indy and spoke for a long while with Eric Wood about their warmers. IMO, now having used the product (i bought a set a few weeks ago) and having talked with Eric and his mom both at the show, Woodcraft warmers just went to the top of the list for me even over Chickenhawks. :up:

3. NossLou

NossLou Well-Known Member

POS...period

4. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Talked with them as well there, good people and very helpful. Took the time to go over every detail with me.

And the warmers look great. I especially like the elastic onthe sides, good design imo.

5. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I like my tyrsox, got them used and they now have about 4 years of service on them. Not nearly as nice to use as the CH, but the price is right.

Bickle makes a pretty good product too.

6. bam rc-51

bam rc-51 Member

I'm not making any recommendations but I used a set all year last year (about 20 days at the track) and they worked fine. Heven't uncoiled them this year yet though. I goes without saying, if you can afford them - chicken hawk is the way to go.

7. NossLou

NossLou Well-Known Member

My personal experience with them along with a handful of others has not been too hot... connectors going bad left and right...So I hard wired them.... next problem was a thermostat problem... their service is horrible and I'm sick of paying shipping to have them fixed 3 times a year.... CH or woodcrafts are the way to go.

8. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Sportbiketrackgear says theirs are made by chicken hawk.Anyone use these or have?

9. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep, theyre made by chicken hawk. only thing i have to ask is this: you planning on racing, or just doing a few trackdays a year? If racing, i'd suggest going with actual chicken hawk or woodcraft. STG warmers by chicken hawk are good warmers, but the outer covering is much thinner (much cheaper to make, hence why they ARE cheaper in cost). If you plan on racing, your warmers are going to put on and taken off alot, and i mean ALOT. You want a warmer that is going to hold up to those "oh shit, 3rd call!!"/snatching the warmers off fast" moments. The shell of the STG warmers are very lightweight in comparison to the warmers sold/branded chicken hawk. Theyre "warmers for guys on a budget" for a reason. :up:

10. T-Roc

T-Roc Well-Known Member

are dmp warmers any good?

11. RickJohnson#29

Yes I will be racing.I have a set of DMP warmers that have worked great for
    me.I've used them the last two years and they are still working fine.I have a
    second bike now and need another set.Just seeing what other brands work
    well and hold up.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

The difference between the Chicken Hawk and STG is a nylon vs cordura outer shell. The CH shell is indeed more tear/snag resistent and you can "beat it up more". Your call what that's worth. Do you treat you stuff roughly or so you treat it with care? The CH's will take more abuse if you're rough or careless.

I've been using STG warmers for three years (I owned the first set...) and they are doing well. Figure I take then on and off five to six times a day 45 days a season.... so thats 135 days on them.

Seems the biggest reason for failures on warmers is a plugged in warmer off the tire. Although Sumotomo's biggest reason seems to be plugging them in period...

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

My Suzukas are going on their 5th year and still working great. Of course I bought them before CH owned them but they are still good tire warmers.

14. RickJohnson#29

I'm not rough with them.I take them off and either hang them on my canopy
    or if I'm in a hurry I'll just lay them out flat on my carpet.I always up plug them before I
    take them off.Sounds like the SBTG's hold up well.They are about $275 for the standards.

15. Reapper

Reapper Active Member

16. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I don't know anything about them, but I'd wager that you'll get what you pay for with them. At that price, I imagine that they might be guaranteed to work once, after that, all bets are off. good luck on aftersale service!

17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Had a DMP warmer literally catch on fire and ruin a nice new Michelin front. :down:

18. Reapper

Reapper Active Member

Sent a couple questions to the people of the site. I understand the you get what you pay for concept but I'm also not at the track every week. My friends have some Podium Racing warmers that they have used for a few years and no issues. Can't seem to find them on-line and I guess it was a local deal that they had gotten but the warmers do what they are suppose to and have had no issues as well only cost about $180.

19. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I don't go to the track every weekend, either. Chances are, those cheap warmers are going to be more expensive than a premium brand warmer, because they will cost you $180 up front and another $425 or more when they crap out on you and you realize you should have bought good ones in the first place. if money is that much of an issue, give Chicken Hawk a call at 866-HOT-TIRE (866-468-8473) and tell them you're interested in buying a set of used warmers. They sell refurbished models and their service is excellent if you ever have problems, as well as relatively inexpensive and quick. Try that when your off-brand, chinese-made warmers give you trouble.

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don't know how much experience you have in roadracing, but it sounds like you're relatively new. That's not a knock - we've all been there. But listen to what these guys are telling you. This is an expensive sport / trackday hobby, there's no way around it, no matter how many times you go. Price of admission is high no matter what. Spend an additional $200 and get a quality product.

Warmers are like stands, tools, and wimmenz. Spend a little more up front and get a quality product, and you won't spend more in the long run replacing cheap products multiple times.

If you're trying to do this (relatively) cheaply you're on the wrong bike. Sell the 600 and get an EX250, a vintage bike, or an SV. All of those can get expensive in a hurry too, but it's not nearly as bad as it is with a SS/SBK.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010