1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cost of trackday rubber

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by gofasta, Dec 12, 2010.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

IMHO, 4/5 days was alot days to be had from take-offs

2. tfs32

tfs32 Well-Known Member

For track days next year I am running Pirelli Superbike Pro Track Day Slicks. Good for track days, They hold up better than a DOT or Race slick. But they are not ment for racing. But they are great for Intermidate/slower to mid pack advanced riders. I also have a Set of Ntec's (UK) that are new, but I bought them second hand, that I plan on using for the couple races I am doing.

3. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Run Takeoff's

4. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Werd

5. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

I are take offs are the way to go! Best bang for the buck

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Takeoffs are a good option as long as you know who you're getting them from and how much time they have.

As for lasting 4-5 days, that's a asking allot of a new tire, much less a takeoff unless you're running "B" group.

Maybe on a LW bike. :)

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Exactly. It's all relative. Faster riders will go through a set of DOTs in a single day (give or take) while beginner riders can go half a season on a street tire like the Pirelli DRC or a Pilot Power.

8. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

As a LW bike rider, I can't get day out of most of the tires I've tried. The only ones that have gone more than one race weekend are the tires that pirelli is now calling something like a diablo track day (which was their DOT race tire about three-four years ago, according to the pirelli guy at Summit).

Here's something to think about with take off's. When I take a tire off my SV, it's usually to the point where the tire is not hooking up. It's just done. I buy new tires and throw my old race tires on my sumo. They are okay for riding in the woods and street riding, but not for track riding. I know that there are experts who buy a lot of tires and sell take off's with a VERY limited amount of time on them. But I would definitely want to who I was buying my take-off's from.

For you guys getting four days out of a tire, have any of you sat down with the guys at the tire truck? I don't want to pretend to be a tire expert (because I'm not), but I'm curious if you're even getting the slick into its optimal heat range and if you have as much traction with a cooler running slick as you would with a DOT that was operating in its heat range.

9. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

As a LW bike rider, I can't get day out of most of the tires I've tried. The only ones that have gone more than one race weekend are the tires that pirelli is now calling something like a diablo track day (which was their DOT race tire about three-four years ago, according to the pirelli guy at Summit).

Here's something to think about with take off's. When I take a tire off my SV, it's usually to the point where the tire is not hooking up. It's just done. I buy new tires and throw my old race tires on my sumo. They are okay for riding in the woods and street riding, but not for track riding. I know that there are experts who buy a lot of tires and sell take off's with a VERY limited amount of time on them. But I would definitely want to who I was buying my take-off's from.

For you guys getting four days out of a tire, have any of you sat down with the guys at the tire truck? I don't want to pretend to be a tire expert (because I'm not), but I'm curious if you're even getting the slick into its optimal heat range and if you have as much traction with a cooler running slick as you would with a DOT that was operating in its heat range.

10. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Yeah, from my experience they don't grip well in the rain...

11. Vinny337

Cool thanks Brudda...

12. Vinny337

I agree, think I'm gonna get some this season...

13. speedluvn

I may have to try some dunlop take-offs myself.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

different brands and different compounds will last longer or lesser than others. I dunno, I've found Dunlops 6680's seem to wear great.

15. speedluvn

I think I would prefer to try the medium compound first.

16. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

Talk to Quentin

Try this website:

http://mizemotors.com/

Call and ask for Quentin. He is the most knowledgable tire man I have ever met. He'll answer all your questions and he has great deals on tires.

I buy all my tires from Quentin. :up:

Oh, and Quentin is at all WERA races from Summit to Nelson Ledges, as well as at MotorcycleXcitement track days. He supports racers and track day riders. He's a great guy.

17. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

He's a hell of a guy. And he sells just about every brand of race rubber. The other nice thing about Quentin is, you can take your bike over to him and he'll give you some clues as to what's going on with your bike. In my case it turned out my tire guage was five pounds off. He said, looks like you're about three pounds too much.

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

That's the myth that keeps the tire guys in business.

Get tires that are suited to YOUR riding ability. If you are running at 75% of the race pace on a given track, you aren't even getting that racing rubber hot enough to run in the design temperature zone. When it is too cold, it wears too fast, and gives crappy grip.

Buy a digital pyrometer and KNOW what temperature your tires are running. Select your tire carcass and compound from there.

19. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I run Dunlop 6680 takeoffs and do get 4 days out of them. Unless I am at different tracks I need to flip em, the grip does go off of course, but for trackday purposes the grip is sufficient right down to when the cords start to show. I run fast A group pace.

Actually no...scrap that whole statement....Ntec takeoffs are crap, If you all start buying them there will be none left for me:(

20. I like to run whatever is best for the conditions and has the most grip. I may not be riding at 100% during a trackday but as a racing friend once said...spending 400-500 on a new set of sticky tires is a lot less than the money. It is really wonderful.