1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bin Laden: Dead or Alive?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Zippy1, Dec 8, 2010.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I just caught a documentary on TV the other night called "Why Is Bin Laden Alive?". It brought up some good points and definitely had a lot of info on OBL that I didn't know. Lots of interviews with military personnel and important type people. Definitely worth a watch.

2. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I understand that. This is not about Afghanistan. I'm talking about the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, many of whom are not Afghanis or even located in Afghanistan.

I fully understand the culture and the history of the region. This is not about winning a war or conquering an entire people, I'm talking about taking the fight where it should be. Rooting out the power base of the enemy, killing or capturing as many as possible, and ultimately making it very difficult for them to regroup, rebuild, etc.

QUOTE=Trikky74;3339432]You would have us attack a legitimate, Muslim, Theocracy in order to accomplish what? Piss more Muslims off, or have them use their Nuclear weapons on us?

Huh?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Pakistan is NOT a Theocracy, and I'm not talking about invading Pakistan. I'm talking about pushing them to get with the program and work with us in ridding the region of the cancerous Taliban and Al-Qaeda elements taking refuge in their country.

I understand your points but we're talking about different things here.

3. Trikky74

Trikky74 Well-Known Member

The enemy has no real power base though, it is hard to nail down and slippery and is willing to do whatever it takes to win. We are not. Look I am a devout Muslim, I pray 5 times a day, I believe the writings of the Qur'an, and I want to live a good life the way god intends, and even with that being said I would have no problem fire bombing an entire country to ensure the safety of my children.

This would be so much easier if it were about religion but its not. 1.6 billion Muslims world wide do not want to kill non believers. 1.6 billion Muslims do not believe the crazy rantings of some retard in a cave. Its a cultural problem and a societal one. Arabs have been knocking each other off like its an Olympic sport since the dawn of man, religion has nothing to do with that. By making it about Islam you allow the problem to be bigger than it is and to garner more sympathy from non Arab Muslims.

The Problem is not Afghanistan or Pakistan, the problem is the Kingdom, and until we show any kind of backbone in dealing with them, we are shit out of luck.

Hey zippy, You can't "make" another nation do anything if they don't want too. And you are of course right, Pakistan is listed as an Islamic democracy, ever been there? Yeah it leaks theocratic nation state.

4. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Again, Trikky74, we're talking about different things here. This thread is really about bin Laden, the Taliban and Al-Qaeda. You're responding as if this were a debate about a war against Afghanistan, Islam, etc.

I was pointing out the obvious, intentional omissions, manipulations, etc. associated with the facts surrounding the supposed hunt for bn Laden.

I was also pointing out how his being alive, or the idea of him still being alive, is more valuable to both sides of the conflict than if he were dead -- which I think most people would agree - he most likely is dead.

This was not meant to be an indictment of Muslims or Islam in general. This is not about Afghanistan or Pakistan. This is about the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, who are inextricably linked in the region.

We have been providing Pakistan with billions of dollars annually to help them strengthen their military (weapons, helicopters, etc.) and root-out the Taliban. They have routinely shown relatively minor interest in confronting the Taliban and helping us - though they are more than happy to take our money.

I understand, to a point, the reasons why they aren't committed to it as I do the reasons why they won't or can't let us rush in and take the Taliban and Al-Qaeda out ourselves. But this stalemate is maddening in the level of frustration it brings watching our soldiers getting blown up by roadside bombs in Afghanistan while the enemy is hiding out so close, yet so far. We know where they are but we can't touch them.

I know the situation is extremely complicated and the region has an incredibly storied history in terms of tribal conflict, war, etc. There is no winning there.

But if we can break up the Taliban (again) and this time keep them from regrouping (Pakistan), then we might (among other things) further disrupt Al-Qaeda's abilities to wreak havoc on us and the rest of the western world.

5. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

He's sippin' tea on some beach somewhere ... surrounded by US Secret Service.

6. Marcello1966

Marcello1966 Well-Known Member

The real issue is extreme Zionism and the Criminal Intellegence Agency. Who put the explosives in the three buildings that came down on that day is the better question than is Osama BoogyLaden alive.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Really?

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Alive.

9. Marcello1966

10. Trikky74

:stupid:

11. Trikky74

:Pop:

Ok so it was Jews and the CIA who did it? You would get along great with my Saudi neighbors.

I don't even know how to respond to people like, I really don't, so I shall merely remove myself from the thread, good day.
    :crackhead:

12. Marcello1966

I did not say Jews. I said extreme zionist's which could better be stated the ruling class. There is evidence that the British royal family are decendents of what you refered to as Jews. Add that into the mix and you might see how "the people" have been used like pawns in chess from the get go.

13. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

I thought Casby was permanently banned.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He is, Marcello is his own world of odd :D

15. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

I was refering to Trikky74.

But, yeah, Marcello IS a tad different. :D

16. Trikky74

Why the hell would I be banned? I don't troll, I only post in threads I am interested in, and I always try to stay polite.

I do something to offend you personally?

Cheers

17. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

Bin Laden's dead, being kept alive by the media for ulterior motives.

As for the rest of the discussion: I wonder how much Taliban or Al-Queda are really left. Or are the coalitions in Iraq and Afghanistan just fighting locals who are tired of being occupied, seeing their friends and families killed by both sides, and being promised X and Y and never seeing it truly delivered.

These countries are broke with no natural resources or any real way to get out of their slump. If you really think about the absolute shit that the local people live with on a daily basis over there it's no wonder they pick up guns and start shooting. Foreign soldiers are just a convenient target.

I fully support the troops doing their jobs but I honestly don't think these are wars that can ever be won. We need to get outta the Middle East. That region hasn't been able to figure itself out in thousands of years so Western forces going in there will solve nothing in the end. You can't polish a turd.

18. Trikky74

:bow:

19. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Many 'locals' fight or turn a blind eye to what the Taliban is doing out of fear of reprisals. The Taliban will kill you if they suspect you are cooperating with coalition forces.

There are no doubt many locals who are sympathetic to the Taliban and are fighting the U.S. part time, but I believe the vast majority of those fighting us are from other countries entering via Pakistan.

The poppy fields are what's supporting the locals. In fact, opium is associated with roughly 60% of the entire country's economy. The Taliban / insurgency reeps tens of millions annually from this crop.

20. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Be quiet. The grown-ups were talking.