1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Dec 10, 2010.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... whats the average et on a swap if someone hands you a wheel? 10 mins?

2. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

depends...Mount and Balance front and rear is less than 10 minutes. Thats based on me not having to clean the wheel off to get weights to stick, the rubber pieces not falling out, and the owner pulling the spacers off so I don't have to crawl under the trailer to get them. :D

If someone brought me a Michelin or Pirelli and it's 80F out...to dismount including breaking the bead on the old tire and mount the new one is at most a couple of minutes.

If it's windy balancing can be a pain in the ass, or if the trailer is a rockin'

If someone brings me a new Dunlop and it's 45F, and it got down to near freezing the night before...hell all bets are off...same with Bridgestones. :D

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

oooo... another parameter. Cold dunlops or stock SV650 tires. :D

on my scrap wheel Ive got it to around 4 mins for a front or rear with rotors. no balancing of course. Someone brought me something with a 16" or 18" diameter... Id be screwed. ;D

4. H8R

Dunlops when it's cold and the tire is cold take a bit longer. Most guys know to leave the tire in the hauler or motorhome where it's warm...then it's a snap, really no different than any other brand. Otherwise I put it near my heater for a bit.

5. tfs32

tfs32 Well-Known Member

I have a NoMar Pro in my garage, They are a local company (St Louis) and the owners are very helpful. If I did not have a tire changer I would buy another just because they are such great people to work with!

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I just bought a used basket case Coats 5030 air model off craiglists and am almost done refurbing it. Had to totally disassemble, weld in a bottom plate, sandblast, degrease, paint, new hoses. need to get the jaws for motorcycle wheels.
    Up until now I have been changing tires with spoons which works pretty well too
    You never can have too many tools...

Attached Files:

7. H8R

We used to use one of those. They work great! :up:

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Do I need to get special jaws for motorcycle rims?
    I saw a reference to that in the parts list but at $495 that's alot of cash
    I don't know what is special about those jaws versus the standard ones I have.

9. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

10. H8R

All the jaws look like that...for the most part. I snapped these real quick for you to show you what the pieces they are talking about probably look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So Gigi,
    The one in Phoenix that doesn't match your coates, do you know if that style is a good one for bikes?

12. H8R

From what I can see in the pic I'd imagine it would be fine. I think I would contact Coates and ask them to be sure.

If you'd like to call the guy...I'll go look at it for you next week like Wednesday or Thursday and make sure it works and everything.

13. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have gotten four of these to use in different places. All but one get used a lot. They all still work great. The oldest one has used only plastic protectors. No other parts have been replaced on it in over three years. Two of those were in a tire trailer driving all over the SE.

They are a good deal for sure.

14. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I want one of those Pace units.

15. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  16. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

Nice job, looks great.
    Did you build that stand for your bench grinder?

17. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

That makes two of us. I bought a TC221 in May and it has been great. I bought the adapters and use them, but they are not necessary for any of the street wheels. I think the only thing I changed so far that the were necessary was my 10" CRF50 wheels. I just called and haggled a bit and got a deal. They sell on ebay too so you can work them. I paid $1260 shipped with the MC adapters. From all the research I did it was the best value and quality out there at the price. Look at their site they have pics of theirs vs. the other cheap ones like the pace/northern/etc. For me who will at max change 250 tires or something in a year I think it will last a long time.

18. dreyna14

dreyna14 Well-Known Member

Or save even more money (~$300 less) and get a Cyclhill changer. Uses the same bar and a bit more user friendly. Very compact storage, too.

19. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Here's what it looked like when I bought it

I welded together the bench grinder stand from some leftover steel I had around

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:beer:
    Thanks for the offer. I think I will call him later today. I'm doing the Christmas light thing this weekend for the wife and kids. What a great way to waste two weekends.:D: