1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question for . . . .

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speedluvn, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

My wife is still Christian, believes in taking our 3 year old to church every Sunday, I ask her to wait till my daughter gets old enough to decide. But she takes her anyways. So, when I feel she can understand better i will explain my view and let her figure out what she wants.

I think forcing a religion on a child is wrong, we all have to make our own choices. And if the bible is correct, the child should have many years to decide and seek forgiveness and acceptance.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Why do you feel the need to "impose" your beliefs on daughter? Why not allow her to arrive at her decisions?

What are your concerns with having your wife instill "good Christian values" in your daughter

3. speedluvn

Care to share?

4. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

That is a tricky question Speedluv. I grew up in a charismatic pentecostal church of god. A McChurch with franchises and millions in assets. I don't capitalize it for a reason. They don't know the history of their own religion beginning with the Great Schism, some couldn't define the word dogma, and most think Martin Luther freed the black people. They send missionaries to Africa that start wars and riots.

I however was blessed to be baptized at birth by my grandparents who were Eastern Orthodox. If you ask to join they make you take classes so you then know what the hell you are talking about. If you ask a priest a loaded question he will answer that "that's just part of the mystery", instead of quoting a personal interpretation of scripture. Nothing's perfect but I plan to raise my child in that church mainly to instill discipline on a weekly basis and have access to schools, daycare, community, charity, etc

OBE and NDE. There I just shared more than I felt comfortable putting on a public forum but I felt called. Proof is personal, I can't spell it out for anyone, just point the direction down the windy road that you must travel. It's different for everyone, in other words, "All part of the mystery".

5. speedluvn

Would you be pissed if your adult child comes to you after you have exposed them to your beliefs and later tells you that they no longer share your beliefs?

6. Marcello1966

Marcello1966 Well-Known Member

We have the means to connect to the great mystery but we are hindered in so many ways. My pineal gland does not work. It is an actual gland in the center of your brain that has a cornea. An actual third eye...to see what? It is said this gland if not kept active diminishes in its function. Fluoride is not good for it.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/pineal/

It is responsible for dreaming and regulates the production of the hormone melatonin. I don't dream while I am sleeping but I believe those experiencing dreams are in a real tangible world. Our brains function on electrical energy. We know electricity travels near the speed of light if not faster in some cases. Could it be possible you are already traveling at the speed of light? Vibrating here at this moment. Maybe even trapped in it?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. Inquizid

Not at all Speedluvin, my poor protestant raised wife is saint for putting up with me as well. She's into "rainbows and butterflies" and I hope that it lasts, for her sake. For the record I am MUCH more frightened by dreamland than anything this earth has to offer.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. speedluvn

So would you say that your wife is more religious/spiritual than yourself?

9. Inquizid

My wife is a much better person than me, she is bright and happy, sweet and loving, yet she voted for George Bush the year we met because her church friends told her to. She would prefer not to know anything about Cheney or George Sorros severing egos and selling our grandchildren short. Rainbows and butterflies has it's downsides. So in the traditional Sunday Christian religious sense yes, but spiritually, no.

10. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I am not trying to impose any belief on my daughter. That is why I want my wife to wait till my daughter is older. But since my wife takes her to church, I will have to end up explaining my views. I can guarantee sooner or later she is going to say "daddy why don't you come to church with mommy and I"..... then what do I do? Lie?

And my concerns with my wife teaching my daughter religion are ones that stem from my confusion of which religion is "RIGHT". Like I said, I'm not atheist, so I believe there is something there, just not sure what or who. Once my daughter is old enough, I could care less which one she chooses as long as she chooses it not someone else pushing it on her.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You do good things because it's the right thing to do. No need for some authority from on high to back that up, it's just the way it is. My parents never used the "do this or you're going to hell" kind of rationale for anything. I also learned a lot about how to be a good person just by watching how they treated other people and how they'd go out of their way to help others. No speeches or the like, just actions. With kids you have to remember they are always learning, everything you say and do matters. Just sending them to Sunday school or church isn't enough - no matter what your beliefs are.

Something to remember too is the basic tenets of most religions are good. The golden rule is a good way to live your life (I still think the 10 commandments boil down to that at their core). I can totally understand how religions came to be and why they're a comfort for a lot of people. It's just not something I need personally.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's one area where I got lucky. My mom was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools, taught at them, taught Latin to the alterboys back when that was part of the gig and so on. However as she got older and went more nuts she got into psychics, Indian medicine wheels, all sorts of oddball quasi religious stuff that in turn exposed me to it. Granted by that time I knew she was crazy but I did learn a lot about other belief systems as a result and no matter what I believed there was no judgment.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously - instilling your beliefs on your kid is part of being a parent. If you believe in God (or Gods) then there is no allowing your kid to find their own way, you take god as a given just as you take needing to eat as a given - and as a parent you have to pass that on to your kid.

Hopefully Mikey understands that or divorce is on the horizon...

I spent my entire childhood going to church, it didn't hurt me in any way and the basic teachings of being good make sense in or out of a religious context.

14. speedluvn

It appears that your mom retained an open mind as she explored other religions. Did she no longer agree with Catholic beliefs? Any significant reasons for the explorations of other religions bsesides curiosity?

15. speedluvn

Care to explain?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, lie. Remember she's learning good stuff along with the stuff you don't believe and when she's old enough you can explain your beliefs and reasoning for them and let her make her own call.

That and it's good time for her with Mom, that's not a bad thing.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

How about that most of these 'laws' were thought up as way to function in a society and way before the written word was devised... ???

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His wife feels an irresistible urge to pass on her beliefs to her child. If she is a true believer then that is a huge part of who she is, fighting her on that one would be a very bad thing.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She seriously was crazy. Functionally so but crazy all the same. She never knew what she really believed or didn't.

20. speedluvn

I agree!