F3 shifting problem

Discussion in 'General' started by freaky, Mar 27, 2001.

1. freaky

freaky Guest

any suggestions on what would cause my "95 F3 to intermittently not want to shift up or down.i was coming out of turn 9 at roebling and it didn't want to shift up or down.i shut it off once i got in the pit area and started it back up and it shifted fine.i went back out and had no problem.i went out again and it wouldn't downshift going into 4.any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

ummm...just a guess maybe shift forks a little bent. or just linkage problems... never really had any tranny problems with the f3's so just guessing. good luck.

3. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

Bent shift forks my guess.

4. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Could be as simple as the shifter return detent is grimy and sticking, not allowing the shifter to return back home.

5. freaky

freaky Guest

thanks for the suggestions.

6. 771

771 Active Member

does the bike have enough oil? if yes then check detent spring, then shift forks. your welcome in advance.

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

A bit cocky for someone who hasn't even raced yet this year, eh? [​IMG]

You may know how to work on bikes but you sure can't ride! [​IMG]

You gonna be at CMP?

8. wera94

wera94 Well-Known Member

DO YOU HAVE REAR SET RELOCATERS ON IT?IF YOU DO.THE STOCK LINKAGE IS NOT LONG ENUFF.THE PART THAT GOES ON THE SHIFT SHAFT HAS TO BE PRETTY CLOSE TO STRAIGHT UP & DOWN.IF THATS NOT IT,ID SAY SHIFT FORKS ARE A LITTLE BENT!TimQUOTE]Originally posted by freaky:
    any suggestions on what would cause my "95 F3 to intermittently not want to shift up or down.i was coming out of turn 9 at roebling and it didn't want to shift up or down.i shut it off once i got in the pit area and started it back up and it shifted fine.i went back out and had no problem.i went out again and it wouldn't downshift going into 4.any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

9. wera94

wera94 Well-Known Member

WHATS UP WRENN???I NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH TRANSMISSIONS EITHER,UNLESS I CRASHED AND DIDNT REMEMBER WHAT GEAR I WAS IN, AND TRYIN TO FIND NEUTRAL.SEE YA AT TALLADEGA.Tim

10. freaky

freaky Guest

it definitely has relocators on it and it is turned a few notches.i am going to try that and check the oil and spring and try it at the next track day or race whichever comes first.
    thanks

11. 771

771 Active Member

You're the cocky one. Fourth place with more than four entries must feel pretty good. I'd love to come race with you at cmp and show you the line as I speed by, just like I did all of last year. [​IMG] Congrats by the way. Come to think of it, you only beat me once last year and that was because I got a meatball!!!! I'm sure you're tons faster now though.. Speaking of FAST, why hasn't cb500 been speakin up? I guess he's too cool for the commoners.

12. freaky

freaky Guest

i just thought i'd let you guys know that cb500's computer is acting up so he hasn't been able to get on the internet.actually he went to a rehab to kick his nasty bbs habit.
    he's in texas for the national this weekend.

13. 771

771 Active Member

I think I may have sold my racebike to some jerk who insists on making it street legal. I probably won't be back on the track for quite a while. At least a few months, maybe next year. Give em hell at carolina tom.

14. 771

771 Active Member

I had a similar problem with my f2. It would slip out of gear after it was already in. Usually while decelerating. I simply replaced the worn out shift detent spring with a new Factory spring. I think it was called a shift kit. It sounds to me like that's all you need.