1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need A new flat screen TV, suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by CAMELTOEHUNTER, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I see we have all fallen for the Hz game this year and for some the 3d game. When you don't have the transition from CRT tubes to nice thin LCD/Plasma's to sell TV's then you have to move to some other marketing gimmick.

Buy what ever suits your budget and looks good to you. Of the 40 or so different TV's in our lab at work there are about 5 different control boards in them. We drive have the TV's in the place with the same remote. Even in the same brand and line of TV their are differences in the panels or runs of panels. Some look better than others. Some have tonal differences in the back lighting even in the same models.

Forget all about all the marketing gimmicks..most importantly that stupid ass Sharp 4th color.

Incidently one of the best looking pictures in our lab is on a Haier 22" $180 dollar tv. It's not fancy or pricey but has a great panel in it.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

3. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

2 words..."Night Blinds" man its bright in there!

I didnt get to use my projector in our new house (window placement) so I did get a 55" LCD

I did opt for the open plan truss design in the garage for future man cave

4. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

I work in the Audio/Visual Production industry and see these flat screens get used to death. The plasmas never last as long or look as good as LCD. LED is going to be the way to go in the future. Don't see many LED TVs being used as confidence monitors or extra delay screens in the corporate conferences I do all year long, but I do work with LED walls.

LED video walls as big as about 15-20ft tall and in several configurations attached in panels. Just did a thing where they had these 3 roll down(kinda like a garage door) LED panels that were about 12 ft wide and 9-10ft tall and they were as bright as the sun and pretty awesome clarity. Most LED walls like that the engineer has to dial back the intensity to not overdue the lighting for the event(my job).

The last time I worked with a giant LED wall, they had to dial it back to 10% and it was still pretty brilliant compared to a 40ft wide screen with 6 12k lumen HD projectors set to blend across the stage. LEDs will be all the lights and screens we'll use soon enough. We're already using a bunch of LED lighting fixtures in stage productions/concerts/corporate conference and they keep getting brighter and better color saturation.

5. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

I picked this up yesterday for $1500 at Sam's...
    http://www.vizio.com/xvt553sv.html

So far I am thinking it was a great buy. Looks awesome with the HD DirectTV.

I am equally happy with the price!

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

^ I'm on my second Vizio set, the first (32") I bought over 3 yrs ago and the second (40") just 5 mos ago and to be honest I couldn't be any happier. I have two small children in the house and I couldn't justify dropping coin on a dream set only to come home and find crayon marks or even worse a toy embedded into screen.

I will splurge a little and probably shoot for one of those higher end Panasonic sets, I've heard from various audio/video installers, over the yrs, that they provide you with great bang for your dollar.

7. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Those Vizio's are pretty awesome for the price. I got a 32"about 2 1/2 years ago for $600 and it looks great with the digital HD cable or hook up my laptop for DVD movie watching. Seen them in use in the bars in East Nashville, which allow smoking, and they've all been in there running for about 8-9 years and still look pretty damn good.

8. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

I'm on my 2nd Vizio. Moved the 37 into the bedroom and have a 47 in the living room. Great TV at a great price, IMO. Never a problem out of either one of them.

9. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

Yeah this makes 3 Vizios in our house and two that I have bought my parents. Not one problem out of them. Knock on wood.

10. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Anyone got any good reccomendations for a wireless surround system on cyber monday??? Nothing fancy, or over the top, just something to compliment this 42" plasma we got over the weekend.

It doesn't "need" them, but I "want" them :D

11. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Based on TV purchases over the holidays - how do people like their choices?

Any regrets or other brands that you wish you had purchased instead?
    :beer:

Reason I brought this thread back is my Samsung just died after 6 years so I'm starting the research process... It's for a small room about 12' from couch to TV. Not looking for 3D either...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

For the price, we really like our 50" Panasonic plasma. Only two HDMI connections, but we are simple people up here. I don't watch tv very often, but when I do, it's a much nicer picture than our rear projection was.

13. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

got a sony bravia 52 at sam's... open box buy - sometimes you have to ask but there was a cart with 3 tv's sitting on it and I said "are these for sale?" cause it still had the stickers on it and everything... bottom line is I got a $2k tv for 700 bucks. full warranty and all that. had it for about 10 months or so and love it. I originally went there to get a vizio "tru led" and was really disappointed with the floor model pic quality (I know settings could be off blah blah) so I just started browsing. Glad I did!

14. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

Samsung LN55C630 or LN55C650, around 1200$.

One of the highest rated LCD's at Consumer reports:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19499313#post19499313

I have one and love the picture, especially on 1080p sources.

Someone who also owns a calibrated Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Kuro, commented the Samsung can absolutely hold it's own against the Kuro.

Not bad for 1200$.

15. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

Fry's Electronics had/has a 47" LG LED for $599.

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My TV showed up yesterday. Its a Panasonic TC-P42GT25. So far I like it a lot. Only regret is that I didn't get the 50" but the 42" was a bit cheaper.

17. dave_gsxr750

dave_gsxr750 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of the Sony rear projection DLP's - one of which is the KDSR60XBR1 purchased in 2006 from Circuit City. The screen started appearing green around the holidays. I did some quick research, called Sony customer service 2 weeks ago, and by sending them some basic paperwork (remove sticker, take a picture of the TV picture) and they are replacing the TV with a KDL60EX700 for $325+tax with free shipping to my house due to the optical block issue.

There was some class action lawsuit against them - they offered me a free 40" or the 60" for $725. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was offered the deal that I accepted. I get to keep the other TV as well - i heard there was someone who refurbished the optical blocks, but haven't found anyone yet. If anyone knows someone who does that, please advise. Here's my confirmation email:

Thank you for contacting the Sony Exchange Dept.,

As discussed, we provided you an offer to replace your television.

KDL60EX700 $325.00
    KDL46EX710 No Charge

If you decide to accept the offer, please contact Sony at 888-993-7669 within 1 week.

Upon your acceptance of the offer, you will need to confirm your ship to address by phone and provide a credit card number. Please review your address as this will be the delivery location.

In consideration for Sony making and you accepting this offer, you agree to release and hold harmless Sony Electronics Inc., and its affiliates, officers and directors from any and all claims for damages, loss, cost, expense or liability both known and unknown, which you may have incurred in connection with your television.

Sincerely,

Sony Exchange Department
    C79T
    Richard

18. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I just bought the same one but in 50"

The 42" was $230 cheaper than the 46" and the 46" was only $31 cheaper than the 50" (because the 50" is being discounted another $100 for the month of February). :up:

19. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

You got a link? I can't find this.

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

For all you guys buying these high-dollar TV's:

Can I have your old TV? :D