CB550 classes and tech

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by DavePhipps, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DavePhipps

DavePhipps Active Member

Bumping thread for a new question.
    I'm putting a cb650 head on the bike, so my laser header is out :(
    Other tan MAC I haven't seen may good headers out there. I can make my own cannister or megaphone, but I need something to connect it to.

@toecutter: Did you post on the SOHC forum with an awesome cb500 awhile back or was that another toecutter?

2. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Sounds like me. If it was a black and green 500 then I have no idea about the headers apart from 1+2 ecxited to the left and 3+4 to the right, not very performance orientated. Cone Enginnering sell prebent tubing in most sizes if you want to make your own. Swarbrick in the uk also have race headers for several models

3. DavePhipps

DavePhipps Active Member

Yep, I was just at the coneeng site looking at collectors and pipe bits.
    4-1, 4-2-1, or 4-2, megaphone, reversecone megaphone, or cannister? Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the toecutter bike that was on the SOHC site

[​IMG]

4. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

See RC181 replicas made by Ronald Agoston who lives in Hungary.This guy made an alloy tank for my 350 Honda THR!His friend Nyitray Istvàn makes a magnesium RC 181 replica rear brake for my 350 THR/TAB!

Attached Files:

5. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

Read the article made by Stu Melling (www.motorcycle-usa.com) on Ronald Agoston Honda RC181 replica (during the Bikers Classic on Spa track)!!

6. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Hey Dave!

I don't have anything valuable to add, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Hoosier and CB550 lover! :up:

7. DavePhipps

DavePhipps Active Member

Hi Wade, thanks for saying "Hi"
    Do you race the 550, or is it youre street bike?
    Got a picture of it that you can post?
    Dang, Greenfield is about 70 miles away. I thought it was closer than that.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

http://www.akunar.com/ has a bunch of varying piston options that'd likely work. I have raced on their pistons before, they do hold up decently for a cast piston. If you post the pin height you need I'll poke to see what common dirt donks use a similar pattern for alternate sources of suitable pistons.

9. DavePhipps

DavePhipps Active Member

I think I've found the piston that I'm going to be using. It will be a modified 78 CB750 piston. With just a bit of milling it should work well (also cheap). Once I get the dimensions I'll look out for more modern alternatives.
    I've heard that Akunar make some decent pistons, but quality and customer service are a bit hit and miss.

10. Wade Parish

No, never raced one but always wanted to.
    I race an '88 Honda Hawk.
    Had a couple 550's on the street a few years ago.
    Lemme see if I can post some pics...

11. Wade Parish

12. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Put a set of RZ350 wheels on it and twin shocks and bring it out in F500. Look at my links page here:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/Page?template=Links%20Page

Post on the sites related to Hondas and cafe racers and you'll find suitable shocks at a reasonable price. The RZ wheels show up on Ebay regularly at cheap prices and Avon has good race rubber for front and rear.

Besides, we always enjoy fresh 4 strokes for the 2 stroke meat grinder. :D

13. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

You need some 2 strokes in 350GP and 500GP. Hmmmm......;)

14. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Dave, I'm also collecting parts for a 550 racer. I've begun prepping the frame, not too far into it. We should talk and compare notes.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

i couldnt agree more!!!! id love to see a few on the grid with us.

heres what mine looked like. makes crunchy crunchy noises inside now. no interest in fixing it.

Attached Files:

16. southsidejack

southsidejack Well-Known Member

I don't know who your guys are, maybe this season we will meet. I just know I want to party with this Lizard guy.

17. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, I got a set of Works Steel body shocks from their eBay outlet store that were kind of already set up for a T140 Triumph and luckily enough in my weight range, 160-200lbs. They were about $200. They aren't adjustable, but they work really well. They may have something similar that will work for the CB. Seems they're always getting rid of old stock that is totally fine. Worth taking a look at.

18. bus

bus Monkey with a football

I've got a set of Progressives for an old CB sitting on a shelf out in the garage. PM me if you want them.

19. fastbroshi

fastbroshi Active Member

Here ya go
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Nice 550 JoeC. What pipe is that?