1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 cost of racing vs. 600, 750, 1k

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. My buddy convinced me try his FZR400 in 07 and I went as fast on that as I did my R6 running both bikes every weekend, so I got an SV for the 08 season. This year at Summit I beat my personal best lap time (previously set on the R6) with a 68hp bike. It's all about getting on the gas early, and after coming from a 600 you'll find yourself almost getting stupid with the throttle just to see how much it can take! :up:

2. twilkinson3

twilkinson3 see god...brake....

+1 to what Matt said - the ear to ear stoopid grin a race prep'd sv causes is just silly, I used to run a cbr600rr around at track days fairly quick...got the sv to start racing.... I'd probably never give it up. The things you'll learn about corner speed and braking in 1 year on a sv is amazing (like dropped 6 seconds off a lap amazing if you work at it)

Michelin tires for me this last season for 5 track days and 6 race weekends amounted to 2 fronts and 3 rears, and the last set still has some meat on them - get the suspension done right and tires last and last and last.....

anyway my 2 cents

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

i would think chains and sprockets last longer........

maybe even a little less fuel $$$

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Never raced a 600. I can get a full weekend (practice, solo 20, practice, LWTSB, HWTSB) and the next Saturday morning practice out of a rear tire then it just seems to get too greasy. The fronts seem to go about twice that. Plus I use 98 octane pump gas. 5 gallons will get me a whole weekend. I'm running Dunlop slicks.

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

John,
    You need an SV, Karl has one now as do I.

6. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert by any means. I can just regurgitate what I've learned over the past 4-5 years. Some of the guys you want to talk to (but not limited to) locally are named Ford, Wall, or Burr.

7. WayneDangerous

WayneDangerous Well-Known Member

I just changed from an 06 750 an SV and its been good

My 750 ate up a pair of tires in less than a weekend. The tires I bought for the SV did 2 weekends and a full trackday. They've still got a LOT of meat left on them. The 750 guzzled more gas also so you can save a little extra there. Tire contingency and solo pay-outs are easier to get.

I learn a lot more on my SV and the racing is closer because the bikes all have about the same power. Couldn't be happier. Do it.

8. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

I used one front tire for 3 race weekends ( 2 of those were nationals with full practice day ) and 4 trackdays. It's still good to go.

9. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I gather the tire cost is half, parts about the same, contingency is easier to get, and fuel is about half.

Thanks for the advice guys.