1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Detroit Thunderdrome

Discussion in 'General' started by RumbleStrip, Sep 24, 2010.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

it was great fun. i showed up way late and only got 3 practice laps or so. it was really f'n sketchy......so i decided to check tires. yup, back tire had about 10 lbs of air. it was moving around A LOT! :)

the race was awesome. one dude had a KLX110 and it had way more motor than sauce and i. i was riding a '77 yamaha GT80 and sauce was on a newer 4 stroke 88. after a spectacular start, i slowed down and let sauce come by. it took me what seemed like forever to pass him. our bikes were very even in power. i had to run the highest line possible since there isn't much oil in my forks and the tires are OEM-dry rotted from 1977.

1/2 way through the race i took a gamble and went low out of T2 and was able to draft sauce and just barely pass him before T3. he was right on my ass the rest of the race. on the last lap all of a sudden the GT80 had enough. she was pissed off for treating her so badly and she seized up. there's pretty good footage of the wreck near the start of the clip. my knee is pretty f'd.

i'm wearing the black bell helmet with white stripe. sauce is on the orange bike. there's some decent footage of us racing throughout the clip.

http://thunderdrome.com/blog-2/

people came from all over the mid-west, with one guy in from s.dakota and another from n.carolina. some of the custom mopeds which aren't showed in the video above were pretty incredible. custom tanks, custom triples, custom engines, etc. there were a few that were running just under 60mph. no joke. very trick machines.

congrats to stu carter who cleaned up on the aprilia 50 in the scooter class! slaw would've been hard to beat in the main, even though stu had motor on him, but slaw's zuma wouldn't fire. he had told me that he was going to run stu wide and push him over the top......

i was stu's crew chief and ran his pit board for him. our strategy paid off and he passed for the lead with 2 laps to go. you should've seen all the hipster chicks waiting in line to get their pictures taken with stu.

i hope a bunch of the mini motard guys show up next year. those banks are much higher in person than they seem.....

2. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

its like nascar.. on mini bikes :D

3. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

It was fun !!!!:clap:

Next year the crf will have the 88 kit in it :up:

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Will it be ready for this winter?

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Looks like a hoot Kev. Will have to make it out next year.

6. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

We gonna race ???

7. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I know where you can get a complete bike with an 88 for the cost of an 88 kit :Poke:

8. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

next time i'm showing up with a YSR125