1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should a Buyer pay Seller for Paypal fees? What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jcivince, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Seems like more and more sellers are asking to be reimbursed for Paypal fees. I kind of understand this but I don't really agree with it. Personally, I don't really like Paypal because they make a lot of money for doing nothing really. And they get paid right away but when you want to withdraw, they say it takes 3 or 4 days which I think is BS - transfers can be/are instantaneous.

Anyway, it seems to me that when used, Paypal is a convenience for both the seller and the buyer. If anything, the fees should be split if they really want the extra $$. If a seller doesn't want to cover or split the fee, then they should outline what form of payment is acceptable that they aren't going to ask extra money for.

Just my 2 cents - wondering if I'm off base....

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

What do I think? I think you're posting in the wrong forum.

3. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Very well could be... I thought about General but then thought that maybe it might offend someone (yeah, probably being too PC) so put it here...

Oh well...

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Paypal fees are to cover the service they are providing by shuffling your money to the the other guy. If you don't want to use Paypal, then use a M.O. or a Cashier's check, which will still cost someone money.

If the seller is using PP, then they know the percentage that PP is charging to handle the transaction and it should be part of the selling price. If the seller was using a CC company, he would still be charged a percentage. (It is illegal for vendors to charge customers a surcharge if they use a CC for payment.) Shipping is a different issue as that will vary based on where the item is shipped and carrier used.

So long answer short, no, the seller is responsible for all fees associated with the sale and as such should incorporate them into said sale.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I don't see anything illegal with it. I have the option as a consumer where to spend my money. I guess if I wanted something bad enough, and I could afford it, I may pay the fee.

I used to pay my rent back when via PP. The landlord live in another city and my bank was yet in another city. After refusing to pay the PP fee and two consecutive months of paying by check, the landlord requested PP. I kept sending him checks. I guess the checks were less convenient. Not my problem.

6. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Yeah, checks are less convenient lately, but hey, any money in the bank is good. :)

For the record, from the Paypal user agreement:

For Purchase Payments, including Micropayments for Digital Goods, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee.

For PayPal Business Payments, the PayPal Business Payment fee is paid by the recipient unless it is disclosed to you before you send the payment that you, the sender, must pay this fee.

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I have cash price to pick things up from me in person.
    I have an internet price to use paypal and you also pay shipping.

I do my math before I sell something.

I'm not making less because I don't know you and I have to ship it to you. I always believe that friends should get the best price....and the cash deal is the by-product.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Paypal is a convenience. Just like the quickee mart down the street that charges $6 for a 1/2 gallon of milk or $1.50 for a pack of gum. It also gives the buyer a certain level of protection in most instances. You can bypass the fee by sending the $$ as a gift if you trust the seller. I dont see why a seller should eat the fees 100%. 50/50 fee split is often customary.

Otherwise standing inline at the post office to get a money order costs time & money...not to mention the pleasure of dealing with unmotivated federal employees.

9. Former

Former Well-Known Member

If it's a private & local sell and the buyer wants to pay via paypal rather than in hard cash then add the paypal fees into the price. Or send the payment as a gift so the seller isn't hit with the fees.

That's usually how we do it in our local forum.

10. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

as long as the seller makes it clear up front I dont see a problem. would it be different if they worded it as a discount for cash payment instead.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

If you as a seller are worried on that cost factor it in. You can charge a higher price for paypal purchases (I have seen this) or offer a cash discount. Both are similar but a cash discount accounts for fees on credit and debit cards also. The thing is the seller sets the price and IMO tacking on fees alienates customers while offering a discount makes them happy while the net effect is the same from a seller standpoint. So offer a cash discount or just factor the cost of business in and average it.

12. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

The douche bags that charge the people the x% Paypal charges would throw a fit if they went out to eat and when they went to pay the check with their credit card were told to hold on because the server needed to get them a new bill that had the additional x% the credit company is charging them.

13. TheUncannyJ

TheUncannyJ Well-Known Member

Agreed. it makes a big difference when some one sees the price and then paypal fees on top apposed to just a higher price.

14. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

For me it depends on the deal. If I'm getting a good deal I'll OFFER to pay the PP fees. It's usually puny and pays goodwill forward...

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so in your opinion... the price is the price?
    Do you throw a hissy when an item is marked $99 and then when you pay the business adds whatever the local sales tax rate is??

16. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Not if he was trying to get an argument going.;)

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Any time I pay cash I ask for my 2% cash discount. If the vendor refuses I use a CC or go elsewhere. By paying cash I am saving the vendor money, if that is not appriciated I whip out the Am Exp card and rack up some points.

18. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

does that mean we get a 2% discount at stt if we pay cash? :)

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i've had people offer to pay the fees or ask what do you add if i pay with paypal, i just tell them nothing its a cost of doing business, the price is the price thats all