1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monticello Monday Sucked!!!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by boccarp, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla New Member

And when you do report it and nothing is done it is even worse. The most frustrating point of my day came when i overheard a stt coach asking a "A" group rider in the pit why he was wearing a 2 piece suit that was not zippered together and his response was well i am just out here to take it easy today so i am not that worried about it. The coachs next question and ansewr was even worse. So how many track days have you done. Answer= 4.

How the hell at that point does he allow that guy to go out in the a group with out any type of review.

And for anyone there the rider in question was the guy on the duc hypermotard wearing the icon jacket that looked like it had dragons on the back.

If you rode in A groupo i am sure at some point you nearly ran him over.

2. Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla New Member

Sorry just watched one of the videos it was not a dragon it was a skull on his back

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

wasnt directed at you personally, was just a comment, and seriously, i was laughing when i typed it. :up:

As for what other forums, im not gonna get into that here, lets just say its happened, quite a bit, and leave it at that.:up: :beer:

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

cus he's a customer, and the customer is always right? :crackup: At least thats what ive had STT CR's tell me, anyhow.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Let's not get too crazy, bad days or not, I still think you get the best bang for your dollar with trackdays. I don't have too many race weekends under my belt but the ones I do were mostly just sprint races, 4 races can easily exceed the price of a trackday and they're usually tougher on the tires. I REALLY wish I could afford to race, it is good times but it's a major drain on the ole wallet.

6. Anybody notice a pattern?

Myself and others have said it many times, being able to sign up in any group you want is not a good idea.

1. Too many people don't want to admit to themselves or others that they are not "advanced".

or

2. When/if Intermediate fills up, people will sign up for Advanced instead of missing the event.

or

3. People just don't know any better. I have honestly talked to people who have never been on a track but said "when i go to a track day, i will sign up in Advanced. I have been tearing the mountains up for a long time".

Any of those (or other) situations result in people riding around in advanced 5-15 seconds off pace and/or uncomfortable with the passing that goes on and is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  7. fastest

fastest Well-Known Member

Took me a nasty high side,broken wrists,dislocated hip and shoulder, to realize I will be staying in novice,,

8. Sorry to hear it but I knew it was coming. STT doesn't run a good event at Monti.
    I rode the north course with them in Sept and they threw in that Bullshit Chicane on the back straight. Throws off the whole flow. I asked why they did it and of course the answer was " to slow you guy's down to cut down on crashes". To me it was more dangerous with guy's bunching up trying to get through there.
    I also agree they let anyone in the advanced group. Try TPM next year, also Tony's Tarck Days will be getting some dates there I think.

9. CBob1k

CBob1k Well-Known Member

I did most of my trackdays this year with STT on the Monti North course, and they've never run the chicane. Only on the 66 configuration. I enjoyed riding with STT all year, they're a good group. Monday was just a mess. A terrible, terrible mess.

10. My bad it was the 66

11. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

The closest calls - I mean the ones where only divine intervention prevented a major catastrophy - have only happened to me at trackdays where the advanced group was unregulated.

That's why I no longer ride with clubs that refuse to screen their advanced riders, or take a way-too-casual approach to it.

It's not cool when you're cruising around having fun and the closing speeds are still 30-50 mph faster then the street heroes with the chrome wheels and repli-graphics who put themselves in the 'A' group or were bumped by their buddy.

12. hondarider102

hondarider102 Active Member

Anybody know who the guy in advanced group #96 on a grey rc51 with a red gas tank was?

13. 1/4milecrazy

1/4milecrazy Member

yeah, why?

14. :Pop:

15. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Wow, sounded like a fun day :)

Not to defend any organization, but there was a point about big tracks in the North East and they type of rider it attracts. I remember when the FUSA Pocono course was the big draw. Always filled with guys I've never seen before, and the crashing was out of control. Lunch time always resulted in a "talking to", which was deserved. Something about long tracks brings out the nut jobs around here, trust me.

I know no body wants to hear this, but I think there's a serious issue with inexperienced riders with hyper-liter bikes. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I need a fast bike, cause I need to make up for being slow in the turns" . . .

16. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I mentioned that either here or in teh STT forum. I agree with you 100%. We had 1 "great" F-USA event the others were a challenge..

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid:
    I didn't make it to the full Monti, so I'm unable to comment directly on the day's events, but it does seem as though the Pocono FUSA syndrome was at play here, where a large number of Riders have come out of the woodwork and off the street, just to ride "the big track" as fast as they can without sufficient skill.
    to Pete the original poster and the others whom have voiced legitimate complaints, rest assured that we will take every bit of constructive criticism into account and we will work hard during the off season to address the issues that arose last Monday and put new plans to make certain that this isn't repeated in the future. David, Kevin and I as well as the rest of our staff have worked hard to build a community and deliver value to you, our customers. I take it personally that we failed.

I worked nearly 90 percent of our events at MMC this year and from my experience, this was an anomaly. The majority of our events went off without a hitch and based on the feedback we've received, the rider enjoyed themselves immensely. Again, we are determined to deliver the highest value, safety and fun to our customers and on behalf of the STT Eastern Division staff, I apologize that we came short at our last event. We will do everything in our capacity to learn from this and strive to deliver a better experience for everyone, next year.
    Sincerely,
    Lance

18. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Nice response :up:

19. CBob1k

CBob1k Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what the problem was the whole time :D

20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Pretty standup thing to say

Maybe you need to implement another group for the NYC/NJ crowd : )