1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monticello Monday Sucked!!!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by boccarp, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The thread in question is still up and running. Here is the "unaltered" link that is still up...
    http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?p=58591#58591
    Thread was not deleted or locked.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket Member

I rode MMC with another trackday org and had issues with people not wanting to wait and putting down some ridiculous passes.

One douche nozzle even tried to pass 4 guys on the brakes going into a turn and t-boned the dude right in front of me. Lucky for him, I missed him, but still came within 6 inches of this fuggers skull cap with the bike all twisted up on the brakes.

There is definitely something about the type of people that go to MMC that led to this disaster of a track day.

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Parts of that STT thread are hilarious, this especially:

Now I know that STT coaches aren't there to monitor riders and ensure they are in the correct groups, guess they are out there for the free track time

....what a joke :rolleyes:

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

There might be some truth to this.. maybe same reason Pocono F-USA used to be a crashfest.

5. I had to comment on that also.

6. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I have found the above to be true at a number of track day organizations.

7. eboos

eboos Slowski

The thought there is to police yourselves when possible, and if you spot something that is an issue or have some concerns, then bring it to the coaches/control riders attention. On a 4+ mile course, control riders can not spot everything.

I work with a good number of the control riders that were there that day, and I can tell you that none of them were simply out there for the free track time.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. Peeweesp

Peeweesp Well-Known Member

seems there is always odd shit happening up there. When i was there in in july(or august i dont remember exactly) someone dropped oil for like 2 miles on the 69 course. We where down for about 2 hours or so why we cleaned it up.( The riders and coaches cleaned it up)

9. suspect74

suspect74 Well-Known Member

The day in general seemed pretty crowded. I rode in "I" Group and got in some good track time. There was def something going on in "A" group for sure. Two of my friends were really frustrated in "A" group. No one in A group should be crashing on the second lap... it was COLD in the morning and more than 50% of the people there had never been to MMC before. My friends also accidentally went out in I group for a lap and said they didn't notice much of a difference between A and I - kind of says a lot right there.

Every track day has the possibility to go bad and I understand that. This event happened to have a lot of meatballs with their liter street bikes. I would like to see more control riders/coaches to keep things in order. I'd also like to see STT keep a record of returning customers and what group they ride with [if they don't already] - while having to earn their place in "A" group.

Full Monti is an amazing configuration if you get a chance to do it. I will be there again next year for sure.

10. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

I'm just helping to bring back into balance that which is out of balance.

11. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Haven't ridden at Monti, but I'd say this scenario could happen anywhere, especially when its the last track day of the year in a high sport bike population area.

For a typical track day I think the STT policy of allowing riders to assign themselves to their own group works pretty well. A typical track day of course is one where there isn't a mad scramble for spots. It also assumes that people are willing to use good judgement regarding their skill, even on the last event of the year.

Sounds like this date was in such heavy demand that people were willing to do anything to sign up, and were signing up for the wrong group. Unfortunately when every group is full you've got nowhere to move people around, and chaos begins.

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

No one wants to hear it, boos. It makes way too much sense to be a mature and forward-thinking trackday rider and it's so much easier to hate, hate, hate!

:rolleyes:

Some of the posts in this thread are as ridiculous as the riders who more or less killed the day for the rest of us on Monday.

You can be quick to point the blame at STT for the outcome of Monday, and that's fine I guess, but for me, I'm looking around in the paddock at my peers asking them "WTF?" rather than looking at STT.

When some of you realize that CR's and Instructors can simply manage the day to the best of their ability, reporting the rest of the incidents are up to the participants. I just don't see how can anyone expects 4 miles of tarmac to be monitored at all times unless of course you're looking for 35 CR's out there per session.

As far as the people who weren't there but are still commenting....how is the agenda doing?

Look around the paddock, people. Your fellow riders were the root of the problem on Monday and nothing more.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Hence why you dont overbook an event, or even "fill" the event.

14. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

So "half full" should be the new "full"?

15. eboos

eboos Slowski

Only if you are a positive thinker. Otherwise "half empty" would be the new "not empty".

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The group I ride with judges how a trackday will be based on how many certain state's license plates are there.
    Watch out for the guys with the chrome rims too.

17. Dave_SV

I would hope that fellow track riders would report anyone they felt were not out in the appropriate group, however seeing a coach actually put in writing that it is not the coach's responsibility to assess and re-assign riders as necessary is asinine at best.

If you have 4 miles of track, have more control riders easy as that. I place most of the blame on the idiots who signed up for the wrong group but it is ridiculous to say the trackday organization has no responsibility to make corrections. If the coaches aren't there to ensure a safe riding environment, part of which is making sure people are placed in the correct group, than what the hell are they doing out there exactly?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Getting free track time then going home and getting their friends to come out so they can get more free track time. Basic pyramid scheme :D

19. eboos

eboos Slowski

Dave SV, I did not interpret Renard's comments the same way that you did. The advanced group should require very little supervision, but the point of his post was that; if you spot an issue, bring it up to the control riders instead of bitching about it afterwards. Nowhere did he say that control riders had no responsibility there.

20. Dave_SV

Then we will have to agree to disagree. He said it is up to the other track riders to point out any other riders that shouldn't be riding in their respective group which to me means it's the rider's problem not the coaches. Nowhere did he say 'please help us out' or 'don't complain about it after the fact', both of which I would have agreed with.

I would be interested to hear how many riders were re-assigned to different groups as the day wore on.

And for the record I agree that the advanced group should be setting an example for the rest of the other riders. However when there are morons out there who refuse to admit their lack of skill the host organization HAS to be the one to make the call. If the organization knows they will be riding a 4 mile course they need to have enough control riders on hand to adequately assess the situation.