Rob Gette's bike - could use your help putting it back together

Discussion in 'General' started by bobbyk, Sep 21, 2010.

1. vance

vance *

I've pretty sure I've got a 1st gen Vortex stay sitting in storage back home. If it fits the 2nd gen, I could get someone to go get it and mail it out.

2. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Thanks, vance. Unfortunately the 1st gen stay doesn't let you mount the stock gauges.

3. repsol600

repsol600 Well-Known Member

wow its really good to see this.. keep up the good work guys!:up:

4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

bobby- if you need the GSXR forks, just shoot me an email at [email protected] because I seldom look at PMs here.

5. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tom. I think we're sticking with the stock front end.

Leonard Roy just donated a fork assembly and fairing stay. I think we have almost everything we need at this point. I can take care of the rest. I'll take pics along the way and keep everybody updated. We really appreciate the support from everybody on the BBs.

6. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Bobby, let me know if you need anything else. I can grab something off our bikes.

7. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

This is great! I am in awe of the way racers pull together in times of need. Oh and guarantee it will look awesome if John Greer is painting it.

8. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks. Somebody mentioned something about possibly getting a set of tires, which would be great. If not, I'll figure something out.

9. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

hey bobby-i might have a set of used 2ct's somewhere...

its got one trackday on it-plenty of life left-let me know if u need it

im in nyc also...

10. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

Tires

Bobby,

I am sure I have either some new or very good used tires for it.....I have them all....Dunlop, Pirelli, and some Michelins.....let me know. I can give to someone at the GNF who lives in your area.

Brian Kcraget

11. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

i have a new michelin prc front tire if it will help.

12. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tire offers. According to Russel, the Michelins that are on the bike are almost new, so I’ll leave them on. Brian, if you have a new set that you wouldn’t mind donating, I’m sure that would sweeten the deal for any prospective buyers. Maybe we can put a new set together with froggert’s Michelin front.

I tore the motor down the other night. Because of the bearing material in the oil and the knock, we all assumed he spun a rod bearing. As it turns out, this motor spun the main bearings (both sides, to some extent). The bearings “walked,” which I’ve been seeing quite a bit of lately in SV motors. The material in the oil was from the crank shaving the inside edge of the bearings that walked toward the motor. The stator side was really bad and what caused the knock. The clutch side started to spin and one half of the bearing did walk, and you could see that the edge of that bearing half was also getting shaved. What this means, unfortunately, is that the cases are not usable. We’re trying to source a set of cases now. Russell is checking through his pile.

In case anybody is interested, here are some photos of the damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clutch side
    [​IMG]

13. MrStinky

MrStinky causin' a stink

I think we're good on tires. The ones on the bike had one lap on them and there's some good take offs in the trailer. The bike will also come with a set of wheels w/ rains.

Thanks to all who have donated. You guys :rock:

14. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Glad to see this coming together... Let us know if you need anything else!

15. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Russell doesn't have cases. If anybody has a good set I'll buy them.

16. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Bobby,
    Are the 1st gen and 2nd gen cases the same??

17. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

I have a motor that ventilated itself in my garage that I can check on the cases. I think all that is left and good is the cases and the transmission. Let me look. Maybe someone on the way back from the GNF can swing through Cincy and get them....

18. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Hey Scott - they're not the same, but as far as I know they will work. Unfortunately, if you use the 1st gen cases you lose the oil cooler (I'm pretty sure). I'll let you know if we have to go this route. Thanks.

REN - If your cases are good that would be great. Let me know. Thanks.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yea, you can use either cases or mix but I don't think it is legal for SS, at least not around here. I may have set around but they are assembled and would need to get time to strip it down since there is either broken crank or tranny in there :).

20. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that's right - the SS legality issue. If you have a motor that you don't want to take apart, just send it to me and I'll tear it down and I'll send back whatever we don't use :D