Unintended consequences and Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by operative, Sep 29, 2010.

1. operative

operative Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm sure I'll get flamed for being cheap, but it's worth making the post anyways.

So I have 2 helmets.

Helmet #1 is a Arai Corsair RX-7 with date stamp of 11/2005 (Cost: $350)

Helmet #2 is a HJC FS-15 with a date stamp of 05/2009 (Cost: $100)

Now, I don't know how much safer either of them actually are than the other in real practical terms, but they both are my correct size and the Arai feels absolutely perfect in terms of fit, feel, and comfort. The HJC fits correctly, but just absolutely does not have the same "comforting" aspect as the Arai.

I've hit my head in both an Arai and an HJC (other helmets that I threw away), and I feel alot safer in the higher quality Arai's.

Now inevitably, my Arai has ran the course of it's "WERA" life, but I really don't want to go spend $500-800 on a brand new Arai helmet. So I'm left with racing the much lower quality HJC next year.

I've heard that Arai will test your helmet and tell you whether it is still "up to snuff", so is there any chance of getting an exception to the rulebook on helmet age?

Isn't this one of those cases where the spirit of the law is not the same as it's intent?

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Good Luck...

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

yeah. i'm thinking...negative.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

$800 is expensive, but a closed head injury cost a fortune.

6. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

Look at the Bell Stars on closeout at www.motorcyclecloseouts.com for $200-250... I replaced my crashed x11 w/ one and I've been very impressed!!! Very high quality... Extremely good airflow... ESP for that price!!! It may be an '09 model... But that still gives you till '14 that you can legally use it right???

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Get a Scorpion for under $100 from STG, you'll be comfy and well protected and laughing at the haters all the way to the bank.

8. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

I am kinda digging the Shark RS2's lately, my shoei is noisey as hell.

9. operative

I figured the response I would get, just wanted to see that WERA thinks it's better to wear a cheap new helmet rather than a quality old one.

(And I especially understand the potential ignorance in this statement due to the fact that there may be standards in the past 5 years that have made the cheaper newer helmets better than the older more expensive ones, not that expense has anything to do with it, but... anyways... carry on. )

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. operative

And to be quite honest, I wore the HJC FS-15 for most of this year. I thought it was quite an improvement over some of the older HJC's that I have worn, but when I put the ARAI back on towards the end of the year for the last few races, I have to say it felt like moving from a nissan sentra to a bentley.

11. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

I'd avoid Shark's. We've had a number of customers complaining about their helmets falling apart. One didn't even make it out the door before the visor attachment system broke on 1 side. Cheap pieces of shit IMO. If I'm on the track I'm wearing an Arai or Suomy, 3rd choice being a Shoei though I've never owned one.

OP - Check out the Suomy Spec1R. I got one after having an RX7 for years like yourself and haven't looked back. Awesome helmets and cheaper than the Arai's by a good margin.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No. WERA thinks that it's better to follow the helmet manufacturers guidelines on older helmets interior components degrading. I'd suggest you buy a new good helmet.

13. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I picked up a new old stock RX7 for $400 at the end of last year. With it being the end of the season I'm sure you could pick up a closeout for way less than $800.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think we're going to move to Bell next year. They're a really good helmet from what I've been seeing. Good pricing as well it seems.

15. operative

I understand the sentiment, but to me it's kinda like expiration dates on vitamins or tylenol. The companies will tell you whatever seems reasonable to get you to buy more products.

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

How much is your head worth to you?

17. operative

And if Arai or some other company backs up their helmet through a recertification process then what's the problem?

18. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Damm for that price I just bought one, my 2 year old scorpion 700 (which I liked) will become my new street helmet

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can keep trying to find ways to bitch about the rule and get around the rule and not one of them will work. We put this rule into place for a reason, all the complaints won't change that the reason is valid and the rule will be enforced.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Wouldn't they issue a new sticker than?